Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The New "Ummm"

Featured Replies

I must say today has been one of the best BGP days of all time . Beagles , politics , guns , likes , etc etc .

  • Replies 43
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While sitting at my work station this morning, I could not help but hear a conversation between a 30 something female and another co-worker (one of those conversations that everyone could hear, nothing personal). In this short conversation I heard the female say the word "like" 36 times! I couldn't stand it any longer and told her, "did you know you used the word "like" 37 times? She said, "Oh, like wow!" To which I responded that's 38. So "like" is the new "umm". Makes me cringe. :wideyed:

 

What did she look like? Was she tight? I mean, literally tight? You feel me?

 

And I was REALLY enjoying this tread until I got to post #30. Seriously B-Ball-fan?

Brandon Phillips says You feel me about 500 times each time he is on 700 WLW.

What did she look like? Was she tight? I mean, literally tight? You feel me?

 

And I was REALLY enjoying this tread until I got to post #30. Seriously B-Ball-fan?

 

I forgot to include that the bathroom is also referred to as "The Loo".

 

So Basically, the whole British thing evolved out of me pointing out how their youth over there are addicted to saying "Basically. So Basically, since I was on the topic it got me thinking of all the differences in how we pronounce stuff, and Basically how some things have completely different names. So Basically would you expect anything less from me, since Basically it's a known fact that I am Basically long winded, and incidentally I have this female friend of mine who has located the pause button on me, and I now have been trained to respond to her pressing it. Basically it's located on my chest right near my heart, and I know to shut up when she presses it, but Basically she's fair with me and Basically will press it again to allow me to Basically continue to hog the conversation, but Basically now with limits because she's taught me to respond to her finger when she desperately needs to Basically get a word in edgewise. Basically, it can only be activated by a real finger, so Basically any online attempt to activate it will Basically prove to be ineffective.

 

That's Basically the whole story behind why I Basically elaborated so in my earlier post. Basically.

I know, right?

I don't thnk Like is in your vocabulary. ;)

I know, right(.?) Are you agreeing with me or asking me if you are correct? It was cute the first 200 times I heard it. Now, not so much.

 

Literally. Really? Can you substantiate what you are describing actually happened? Because if it was literal there should be proof.

 

Really? Because I get confused looks when I use it. Should probably go with, "Did you really just say (do) that?"

 

Just sayin. I heard you say it. I understand. Why did you say it? Trying to make a point, but are too afraid to actually stand by the point?

I forgot to include that the bathroom is also referred to as "The Loo".

 

So Basically, the whole British thing evolved out of me pointing out how their youth over there are addicted to saying "Basically. So Basically, since I was on the topic it got me thinking of all the differences in how we pronounce stuff, and Basically how some things have completely different names. So Basically would you expect anything less from me, since Basically it's a known fact that I am Basically long winded, and incidentally I have this female friend of mine who has located the pause button on me, and I now have been trained to respond to her pressing it. Basically it's located on my chest right near my heart, and I know to shut up when she presses it, but Basically she's fair with me and Basically will press it again to allow me to Basically continue to hog the conversation, but Basically now with limits because she's taught me to respond to her finger when she desperately needs to Basically get a word in edgewise. Basically, it can only be activated by a real finger, so Basically any online attempt to activate it will Basically prove to be ineffective.

 

That's Basically the whole story behind why I Basically elaborated so in my earlier post. Basically.

 

Although with my often typical long rambling posts that I'll somehow find self justification for, even I know that this one is complete rubbish. I'm now begging for forgiveness for wasting space or anyone's time with it.

 

My sincere apologies. :sorry: :o

Like, what is really the point of your post??

 

My 19 year old, A-B college student has this habit. I drive her crazy because I point out to her every time she says the word like. The other bad language habit she has is over use of the word "literally" She literally says literally whenever she's describing something.

My college daughter literally does the same thing.

I have been listening to a series of lectures through Audible.com called "The Story of Human Language." According to the professor, laziness is a big factor in changing a language over time. Fortunately, using "like" so much takes extra effort, so its use will probably sound as stupid to English speakers 50 years from now as it does now to old geezers like me. :D

 

Languages that are written versus those that are strictly oral evolve much more slowly over time. No educated person would write "like" as often as young people say it, so the pain of hearing it should come to an end in a few years.

My college daughter literally does the same thing.
It literally makes me sick to my stomach to hear people misuse literal so often.

 

What really, literally drives me up a wall is to read the word "dominate" used as a noun in sports forums - as in, "They were a dominate team." Like, there ought to be a BGP rule against misusing the word dominate.

Something else that I have noticed, which I am sure that BGP lawyer-members will confirm, is that if you ever give a deposition or read somebody else's deposition, you will most likely be shocked. A good transcript does not delete any "ummms," "uh-huhs," or "likes." Transcripts do not make anybody sound as intelligent as they may be. In fact, if you do not make a conscious effort to speak slowly and deliberately, a court transcript can easily make you sound like a fool.

Our new managing director needs to work on his speaking skills. He says "and uh" a ridiculous amount of times. Drives me crazy!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47514[/ATTACH]

Ok, now that is funny!!!!!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.