Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Interesting "article" about the future of the NFL and the Media

Featured Replies

The nature of "the media" itself is changing.

I never watch the NFL Network but I do read the Minneapolis Star Tribune online. No doubt that I'm squarely in the minority on that.

I'm with you, Post Gazette here.

doc and the others on this, does the NFL cutting off the media really affect fantasy and/or gambling that much?

 

I guess my point of view is that there are tons of peripheral media outlets that subsist because of the league, and in turn make the monster bigger. I think you cut those things the league would do itself a disservice. While the machine is self sufficient, I think it's a fine line they walk by "limiting" other media outlets.

That's what I was trying to get at above. People are going to follow it regardless of who is covering it.

 

This in a nutshell.

  • Author
....

 

Why is article in quotation marks? :bunny:

 

Because I wasn't sure exactly what to call it. I thought about going back and calling it commentary but then again I didn't want to over-think it.

 

I guess we can all settle for it is one insiders opinion on the NFL.

In past years, the quarterly ownership meetings have provided excellent opportunities for members of the media to turn on their recorders and to soak up anything and everything said by the folks who hold major equity in NFL franchises. This time, the opportunities were far more limited.

 

Via a collection of stories compiled by SportsBusiness Daily, it appears that the owners spent plenty of time not talking to the reporters who devoted all day to staking out the meetings.

 

As explained by Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post, none of the owners would talk about Commissioner Roger Goodell on Wednesday “as they seemed to be operating under a league-wide gag order.” Peter King of TheMMQB.com writes that the media members were “bullpenned away from close contact with owners and top club officials.”

 

Adds King: “When normally garrulous owners like Robert Kraft of the Patriots and Jerry Jones of the Cowboys passed by the roped-off areas with no comment, you understood this was a different NFL for now . . . a tight-lipped league with a commissioner under fire from much of NFL America.”

 

So while the Commissioner attempts to proceed as if it’s business as usual in the NFL, the reduction in access shows that it’s anything but usual business for the folks who own the NFL.

 

The real question is whether it’s temporary, or whether the powers-that-be have permanently adjusted their view of a media that launched an extended free-for-all against Commissioner Roger Goodell and the league office. At some point, the owners will need the media to help promote their product.

 

Then again, given that the owners already operate a major media company that promotes the league constantly through TV, web, and streaming video computers, tablets, and handheld devices, maybe the NFL no longer needs any media that it doesn’t already own.

 

Owners take different approach to media at latest meetings | ProFootballTalk

The last paragraph is a mistake if the NFL feels that way. Hockey went that route and almost went bankrupt because they lost a ton of viewers and fans because many didn't have the channels etc.

 

One if the problems Baseball is having is they aren't having the post season games on national TV and many people can't find the games.

 

Just a warning to the NFL if you take games off of national TV you will lose fans.

I'm with you, Post Gazette here.

 

Their FB coverage is first-rate. I kind of fell out of the habit of reading them the past couple years, unfortunately.

They will survive, regardless. The big networks that pay big bucks and NFL sponsored media will have access no doubt. The others they don't need.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.