Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Interesting "article" about the future of the NFL and the Media

Featured Replies

In past years, the quarterly ownership meetings have provided excellent opportunities for members of the media to turn on their recorders and to soak up anything and everything said by the folks who hold major equity in NFL franchises. This time, the opportunities were far more limited.

 

Via a collection of stories compiled by SportsBusiness Daily, it appears that the owners spent plenty of time not talking to the reporters who devoted all day to staking out the meetings.

 

As explained by Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post, none of the owners would talk about Commissioner Roger Goodell on Wednesday “as they seemed to be operating under a league-wide gag order.” Peter King of TheMMQB.com writes that the media members were “bullpenned away from close contact with owners and top club officials.”

 

Adds King: “When normally garrulous owners like Robert Kraft of the Patriots and Jerry Jones of the Cowboys passed by the roped-off areas with no comment, you understood this was a different NFL for now . . . a tight-lipped league with a commissioner under fire from much of NFL America.”

 

So while the Commissioner attempts to proceed as if it’s business as usual in the NFL, the reduction in access shows that it’s anything but usual business for the folks who own the NFL.

 

The real question is whether it’s temporary, or whether the powers-that-be have permanently adjusted their view of a media that launched an extended free-for-all against Commissioner Roger Goodell and the league office. At some point, the owners will need the media to help promote their product.

 

Then again, given that the owners already operate a major media company that promotes the league constantly through TV, web, and streaming video computers, tablets, and handheld devices, maybe the NFL no longer needs any media that it doesn’t already own.

 

Owners take different approach to media at latest meetings | ProFootballTalk

In past years, the quarterly ownership meetings have provided excellent opportunities for members of the media to turn on their recorders and to soak up anything and everything said by the folks who hold major equity in NFL franchises. This time, the opportunities were far more limited.

 

Via a collection of stories compiled by SportsBusiness Daily, it appears that the owners spent plenty of time not talking to the reporters who devoted all day to staking out the meetings.

 

As explained by Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post, none of the owners would talk about Commissioner Roger Goodell on Wednesday “as they seemed to be operating under a league-wide gag order.” Peter King of TheMMQB.com writes that the media members were “bullpenned away from close contact with owners and top club officials.”

 

Adds King: “When normally garrulous owners like Robert Kraft of the Patriots and Jerry Jones of the Cowboys passed by the roped-off areas with no comment, you understood this was a different NFL for now . . . a tight-lipped league with a commissioner under fire from much of NFL America.”

 

So while the Commissioner attempts to proceed as if it’s business as usual in the NFL, the reduction in access shows that it’s anything but usual business for the folks who own the NFL.

 

The real question is whether it’s temporary, or whether the powers-that-be have permanently adjusted their view of a media that launched an extended free-for-all against Commissioner Roger Goodell and the league office. At some point, the owners will need the media to help promote their product.

 

Then again, given that the owners already operate a major media company that promotes the league constantly through TV, web, and streaming video computers, tablets, and handheld devices, maybe the NFL no longer needs any media that it doesn’t already own.

 

Owners take different approach to media at latest meetings | ProFootballTalk

I disagree with the last paragraph entirely.

  • Author
I disagree with the last paragraph entirely.

 

I see it as more of a forecast for the next ten years than something immediate.

It's hard to parse exactly what Florio means by that, but it does seem as though many media outlets need the NFL more than the other way around (e.g. Peter King). People are most interested in cheering for their teams, no matter what, then interested in fantasy/gambling stuff. All well ahead of Peter King playing soft-toss with league brass or a star player.

 

I don't think the NFL wants to give up that kind of promotion and having people interested in some of these "storylines." But, if it means having an adversarial media actually willing to investigate and publish the sordid details then why not clam up and deny them access?

  • Author

I think you are in the ballpark Habib.

 

Add to that, when you get the government leaning on you about the Redskins name and the FCC screwing with you about the blackout rule it is pretty much open season on the NFL.

 

So taking the NFL's side of things, they have a great product that everyone wants to be a part of, having the media on their side would be ideal but certainly not necessary when it affects the bottom line.

 

The future of the NFL very well could be go it alone.

 

I can tell you that is the future of BGP...

It's hard to parse exactly what Florio means by that, but it does seem as though many media outlets need the NFL more than the other way around (e.g. Peter King). People are most interested in cheering for their teams, no matter what, then interested in fantasy/gambling stuff. All well ahead of Peter King playing soft-toss with league brass or a star player.

 

I don't think the NFL wants to give up that kind of promotion and having people interested in some of these "storylines." But, if it means having an adversarial media actually willing to investigate and publish the sordid details then why not clam up and deny them access?

I disagree 100%. The NFL would be nothing without fantasy football and gambling. They would be in the MLB and NHL ranks.

  • Author
I disagree 100%. The NFL would be nothing without fantasy football and gambling. They would be in the MLB and NHL ranks.

 

Come on HT, sure the NFL would take a big hit but they would still be the biggest show in town.

I disagree 100%. The NFL would be nothing without fantasy football and gambling. They would be in the MLB and NHL ranks.

 

That's kind of what I was saying.

That's kind of what I was saying.

 

:thumb: I wasn't sure. In that case I agree.

I disagree 100%. The NFL would be nothing without fantasy football and gambling. They would be in the MLB and NHL ranks.

I'm in this camp too. The interest would take a huge hit. While I think Florio has a penchant for articles like this in the middle of a boring week, and perhaps he's jilted somehow personally, the league needs fantasy to flourish with fans across a broader spectrum like it has now.

  • Author
I'm in this camp too. The interest would take a huge hit. While I think Florio has a penchant for articles like this in the middle of a boring week, and perhaps he's jilted somehow personally, the league needs fantasy to flourish with fans across a broader spectrum like it has now.

 

doc and the others on this, does the NFL cutting off the media really affect fantasy and/or gambling that much?

Come on HT, sure the NFL would take a big hit but they would still be the biggest show in town.

 

I really don't think they would be. It's not a surprise the NFL really started to take a strangle hold on all sports coverage with Fantasy Sports/Gambling/Daily Fantasy leagues starting getting huge. How many people watching tonight's game have some kind of action in the game that aren't IND/HOU fans? I'd say 80-90% of those do have some action on it. Just speaking for me, I will probably end up watching 45 minutes to an hour of this game tonight because of that. If not I would probably tune in for 5-10 minutes.

doc and the others on this, does the NFL cutting off the media really affect fantasy and/or gambling that much?

 

That's what I was trying to get at above. People are going to follow it regardless of who is covering it.

  • Author
That's what I was trying to get at above. People are going to follow it regardless of who is covering it.

 

Agree 100%

 

The media is doing their job with the NFL but the NFL does have alternatives and we may be seeing one.

I never watch the NFL Network but I do read the Minneapolis Star Tribune online. No doubt that I'm squarely in the minority on that.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.