Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Suicide

Featured Replies

One of the members of my church asked me Sunday about suicide. She wanted to know my thoughts on what happens to someone if they take their own life, I think the robin Williams ting got her thinking about it. What do you all think? Is suicide an unforgivable sin?

Every sin is forgivable. People who commit suicide are ill, does God hold it against you if you have other illnesses? They have not rejected God, or Jesus.

If suicide is an unforgivable sin, then Samson is without hope. Hebrews 11, the "Hall of Faith" section, holds Samson up as a faithful person.

It's one I wrestle with. On one hand, it's helpful to trust such matters to mercy of God. On the other, it's difficult to be forgiven for that which we are not around to ask forgiveness for, is it not? Suicide is a final and absolute rejection of creation and the gift of life. Again, I trust all things to God's mercy, but when does forgiveness come?

On the other, it's difficult to be forgiven for that which we are not around to ask forgiveness for, is it not.

 

If I am driving recklessly & have an accident that results in my immediate death, I don't have an opportunity to seek forgiveness. I see suicide & that example in the same light, at least to the extent that the last act was a sinful act.

 

You make an excellent point about suicide being an "absolute rejection of creation and the gift of life." I believe that is sometimes certainly the case. But I also believe there are other instances where a person committing suicide just isn't in the right frame of mind. Something isn't mentally right with them.

 

At the end of the day, what you say about trusting such matters to God...that's spot-on.

 

You make an excellent point about suicide being an "absolute rejection of creation and the gift of life." I believe that is sometimes certainly the case. But I also believe there are other instances where a person committing suicide just isn't in the right frame of mind. Something isn't mentally right with them.

 

I agree on that last part and the lawyer part of me would say that sin requires a sinful state of mind and some people simply can't formulate a proper state of mind for such things (although I think St. Augustine would probably disagree with me).

From a Catholic perspective, the sin isn't the suicide. The mortal sin of despair is what puts one soul in jeopardy.

One of the members of my church asked me Sunday about suicide. She wanted to know my thoughts on what happens to someone if they take their own life, I think the robin Williams ting got her thinking about it. What do you all think? Is suicide an unforgivable sin?

 

Make sure she is not thinking about suicide. Seriously, all the religious stuff aside, make sure you directly explore why she is asking and ask her specific questions about her hurting herself.

 

As far as what happens, they will leave a lot of loved ones behind that will struggle with it the rest of their lives.

In my opinion I believe that over 75% of Americans are committing a slow gradual suicide everyday,just from living a unhealthy lifestyle.

I also believe that a lot of these folks are trying to be good Christians.

It depends on the situation surrounding the suicide. There are certainly instances of suicide that are completely selfless...a soldier jumping on a live grenade in a the midst of a battle in hopes of saving fellow soldiers. I find it impossible that God could hold that against a person.

 

On the other hand...there are instances of people like Enron executive J. Cliffor Baxter, for example, who in sound mind use suicide to escape justice, or to otherwise give up on a situation that they have created for themselves. Those situations, I'm not so sure that God is so willing to forgive.

 

Mental illness, on the other hand...depression, schizophrenia, and true psychosis...I have to say that I believe our God is a just God, and that He knows all things. He knows if a person's mental state truly disables them from being able to decipher right from wrong, and if they were in their "right" mental state when they decided to end their own life. In those situations, I will gladly say, "Who am I to judge?"

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue

One of the members of my church asked me Sunday about suicide. She wanted to know my thoughts on what happens to someone if they take their own life, I think the robin Williams ting got her thinking about it. What do you all think? Is suicide an unforgivable sin?

I'll answer with a question, "Is there any sin too big for God?" I don't think so.

  • Author
Make sure she is not thinking about suicide. Seriously, all the religious stuff aside, make sure you directly explore why she is asking and ask her specific questions about her hurting herself.

.

 

Don't worry. I did. That crossed my mind too.

From a Catholic perspective, the sin isn't the suicide. The mortal sin of despair is what puts one soul in jeopardy.

 

Please elaborate on your post. Provide reference to scripture as appropriate.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.