Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kentucky's NBA Scouting Combine

Featured Replies

I had a friend there and here's what 4 scouts said to him:

 

Twins are slow and not impressive.

Ulis will be starting PG by conference play.

  • Replies 74
  • Views 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
Which is when both the College games start...and the NBA games start.

 

I don't think there was any harm to it, I'm not sure the need to defend every breath he takes with such gusto. I'm simply saying, again, this wasn't some revolutionary idea, it was a way to get on the front page, and he is better at that than anyone (which isn't a bad thing!!). It neither got them more NBA eyeballs (as all of those guys would have filtered through over the next few weeks anyway), nor did it do anything to harm anyone. It just isn't the "this is why Cal is the best" material that it was painted as. He keeps UK on the front page nationally (good), he gets great players (good), and he does right by them with the Association (good), all of which are positives.

 

Dude should wear a pied piper costume on 10/31....and every other day of the year.

 

What you seem to be overlooking is that Kentucky is one of the few programs that can contact the NBA personnel, set up this type of event, close off practices for the foreseeable future, and have 90 scouts show up for the entire weekend.

 

Could XU or UC or Ohio State pull this off? Probably not...certainly not to this level (i.e. televised & 90 scouts).

 

Was this done moreso for PR than for his team? Probably.

 

Was this revolutionary? Probably not, although it's the first time it's been done.

 

Was this overwhelmingly successful for all parties involved (i.e. program, coach, players, scouts, media & fans) thus far? Absolutely.

 

Will this improve any of his players' draft stock? Probably not.

 

Does this televised event reaffirm Cal's strangle hold on recruiting and college basketball? Yes.

Was this done moreso for PR than for his team? Probably.

 

Was this revolutionary? Probably not, although it's the first time it's been done.

 

Was this overwhelmingly successful for all parties involved (i.e. program, coach, players, scouts, media & fans) thus far? Absolutely.

 

Will this improve any of his players' draft stock? Probably not.

 

Does this televised event reaffirm Cal's strangle hold on recruiting and college basketball? Yes.

 

Agree on all points.

  • Author
Agree on all points.

 

I noticed you left one question off of your quote.

 

Do you disagree that Kentucky is one of the very few programs that could pull this off?

I noticed you left one question off of your quote.

 

Do you disagree that Kentucky is one of the very few programs that could pull this off?

 

No, I don't disagree that only a few could pull it off. I also know that Sean, for example, wouldn't pull a publicity stunt like this. Again, good for Cal, you're right, not many programs could.

 

No, I don't disagree that only a few could pull it off. I also know that Sean, for example, wouldn't pull a publicity stunt like this. Again, good for Cal, you're right, not many programs could.

 

Why wouldn't any coach do it if they could? Recruits love stuff like this, seems like at the very least it could make recruiting easier.

Why wouldn't any coach do it if they could? Recruits love stuff like this, seems like at the very least it could make recruiting easier.

 

I'll use Sean Miller as an example because: a) he is the only coach at a program that I think could pull this off that I know well; b) he is one of the only coaches in the country that has gone toe-to-toe with Cal over the last few years on kids and got a few; c) because he and Cal are very, very close -- about like Uncle and Nephew close.

 

Sean would never create a side-show like this that looks like he is trying to manipulate NBA folks to coming in when he wants them there (come at this point, or miss them for the pre-season), he isn't a stand on the dais and pound his chest "look at me" guy (which Cal does beautifully and with great results), and he isn't trying to get his practices televised (because frankly, he'd have to act differently in practice, and he doesn't want that). He is a killer in living rooms and with parents because he has an intense genuineness to him that is magnetic. If you've been around Cal 1:1 you know that genuineness isn't one of the characteristics you're left with. Cal has created a machine, it should be commended to be sure, and kids (and parents) that are Association-driven are lining up to get in. For the majority of UK fans that quenches their thirst, especially the coverage it generates for their program.

 

The thing that needs to be remembered here is that every one of those NBA scouts that were there would have been there at some point over the next 3 or 4 weeks anyway. UC had 7 NBA scouts at practice the other day, Xavier had 9, and that isn't unique for this time of year. He just wanted it to be a headline-creating, attention-driving event (use of the word "combine" is subtly hilarious), which I admit has no downside, but not every coach is looking for those things.

 

I never meant to turn this thread or my comments into anti-Cal, because I'm not. My only point was this wasn't some "this is why I love Cal" type of thing, it was spin, PR, and marketing....all three things he has earned a Doctorate in. I'm glad BBN finally has a coach with an ego as big as the collective one their fanbase has for their program. :D

 

I'll use Sean Miller as an example because: a) he is the only coach at a program that I think could pull this off that I know well; b) he is one of the only coaches in the country that has gone toe-to-toe with Cal over the last few years on kids and got a few; c) because he and Cal are very, very close -- about like Uncle and Nephew close.

 

Sean would never create a side-show like this that looks like he is trying to manipulate NBA folks to coming in when he wants them there (come at this point, or miss them for the pre-season), he isn't a stand on the dais and pound his chest "look at me" guy (which Cal does beautifully and with great results), and he isn't trying to get his practices televised (because frankly, he'd have to act differently in practice, and he doesn't want that). He is a killer in living rooms and with parents because he has an intense genuineness to him that is magnetic. If you've been around Cal 1:1 you know that genuineness isn't one of the characteristics you're left with. Cal has created a machine, it should be commended to be sure, and kids (and parents) that are Association-driven are lining up to get in. For the majority of UK fans that quenches their thirst, especially the coverage it generates for their program.

 

The thing that needs to be remembered here is that every one of those NBA scouts that were there would have been there at some point over the next 3 or 4 weeks anyway. UC had 7 NBA scouts at practice the other day, Xavier had 9, and that isn't unique for this time of year. He just wanted it to be a headline-creating, attention-driving event (use of the word "combine" is subtly hilarious), which I admit has no downside, but not every coach is looking for those things.

 

I never meant to turn this thread or my comments into anti-Cal, because I'm not. My only point was this wasn't some "this is why I love Cal" type of thing, it was spin, PR, and marketing....all three things he has earned a Doctorate in. I'm glad BBN finally has a coach with an ego as big as the collective one their fanbase has for their program. :D

 

I don't think its so much that other coaches do it because they can't, like you say there are some that could. Whether Sean Miller wouldn't do that because he's above it, I have no idea, I don't personally know the man. But just because no one else has done it doesn't mean that they wouldn't, or won't, its quite possible that the thought had just never crossed their mind..Until now.

I don't think its so much that other coaches do it because they can't, like you say there are some that could. Whether Sean Miller wouldn't do that because he's above it, I have no idea, I don't personally know the man. But just because no one else has done it doesn't mean that they wouldn't, or won't, its quite possible that the thought had just never crossed their mind..Until now.

 

Fair statement. :thumb:

Here is an article that explains why I say recruits love this type of stuff. Pretty funny article at that. Apparently Bill Self took some recruits out to lunch at a restaurant in Kansas, guess what was on the tv's? Classic.

 

 

Next Cats: 7-footer Zimmerman expects 'over-the-top craziness' on Madness visit | Basketball recruiting | Kentucky.com

 

Zimmerman and his mom are expecting the visit to be "over the top". Well they should see clips/pictures of everyone camping out just to get tickets of BBM.

I'll use Sean Miller as an example because: a) he is the only coach at a program that I think could pull this off that I know well; b) he is one of the only coaches in the country that has gone toe-to-toe with Cal over the last few years on kids and got a few; c) because he and Cal are very, very close -- about like Uncle and Nephew close.

 

Sean would never create a side-show like this that looks like he is trying to manipulate NBA folks to coming in when he wants them there (come at this point, or miss them for the pre-season), he isn't a stand on the dais and pound his chest "look at me" guy (which Cal does beautifully and with great results), and he isn't trying to get his practices televised (because frankly, he'd have to act differently in practice, and he doesn't want that). He is a killer in living rooms and with parents because he has an intense genuineness to him that is magnetic. If you've been around Cal 1:1 you know that genuineness isn't one of the characteristics you're left with. Cal has created a machine, it should be commended to be sure, and kids (and parents) that are Association-driven are lining up to get in. For the majority of UK fans that quenches their thirst, especially the coverage it generates for their program.

 

The thing that needs to be remembered here is that every one of those NBA scouts that were there would have been there at some point over the next 3 or 4 weeks anyway. UC had 7 NBA scouts at practice the other day, Xavier had 9, and that isn't unique for this time of year. He just wanted it to be a headline-creating, attention-driving event (use of the word "combine" is subtly hilarious), which I admit has no downside, but not every coach is looking for those things.

 

I never meant to turn this thread or my comments into anti-Cal, because I'm not. My only point was this wasn't some "this is why I love Cal" type of thing, it was spin, PR, and marketing....all three things he has earned a Doctorate in. I'm glad BBN finally has a coach with an ego as big as the collective one their fanbase has for their program. :D

 

I didn't realize that Cal and Miller were close. That's good to hear because if Cal leaves Miller would top my list.

I didn't realize that Cal and Miller were close. That's good to hear because if Cal leaves Miller would top my list.

 

Super close, both Pittsburgh-ites, Cal and John Miller (Dad) are long-time friends, and Sean is like a nephew to him. Not a lot alike, but like each other a lot.

I had a friend there and here's what 4 scouts said to him:

 

Twins are slow and not impressive.

Ulis will be starting PG by conference play.

 

Someone on the radio quoted scouts as saying it's not close between Andrew and Ulis. Said Andrew is so much better this year and way ahead of the kid.

 

If you made me guess I'd say if you see Ulis in the starting lineup it's because Cal is going with a 3-guard lineup with the twins.

Someone on the radio quoted scouts as saying it's not close between Andrew and Ulis. Said Andrew is so much better this year and way ahead of the kid.

 

If you made me guess I'd say if you see Ulis in the starting lineup it's because Cal is going with a 3-guard lineup with the twins.

Ulis has better passing and defensive skills than Andrew. Other than that, I'd say the radio scouts were accurate.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.