Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bowling Green 6 St. Xavier 0 (OT)

Featured Replies

Just got home. Great game. Fans questioned if 1 second on clock at end of regulation. Too close for me to call. Ref said no time so that's that. The problem for x (blessing for Purples) was at end of half. X allowed maybe 20 seconds off clock before calling time out. Clock then forced them into another play. If they kick field goal they go up 3to 0. Would have been enough for win.

 

No words to describe how well line backer for BG played (McEntire). Had to be a record for number of tackles.

 

It was the shortest yard grind of a game I probably ever saw.

 

Fight after game was 4 or 5 kids. No adults. Not sure if any were from x or not. Unfortunate. Great game!

 

I listened to John Spears and Tony on their radio broadcast. They were mystified as to why with about 45 seconds left in the first half when the St. X receiver went out of bounds inside the 10 yard line why did the refs not stop the clock.

They even commented following the play that by going out of bounds that would save X a timeout. But the refs did not stop the clock. Can anyone clarify this?

  • Replies 39
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listened to John Spears and Tony on their radio broadcast. They were mystified as to why with about 45 seconds left in the first half when the St. X receiver went out of bounds inside the 10 yard line why did the refs not stop the clock.

They even commented following the play that by going out of bounds that would save X a timeout. But the refs did not stop the clock. Can anyone clarify this?

 

Hopefully will be able to see some video of it tomorrow, but I did listen to the broadcast from the Purples' side of things: Sporting Times Magazine | Purples Nation - Listen Live on STBN. The play in question comes around the 49:30 mark. The commentator for the Purples also mentions the clock not stopping, indicating that the refs might have ruled forward progress. Beats me.

 

I'm not saying that it wouldn't have had an effect had they had more time. But I am saying that either the coach or the QB failed in a big way on that situation at the end of the first half. 3rd and Goal from the 6 with 15 seconds left and no timeouts, literally the only thing you cannot let happen is a tackle inbounds and/or a sack. You need to call basically a three step drop and immediate throw. Perhaps a fade or a quick out but the throw goes to the end zone no matter what. I haven't seen the play, don't know what happened beyond that X got sacked by the guy that always does it, Holt. Correct me if I'm wrong, but even an intentional grounding would have stopped the clock. IMO that ball has to be out of his hand about 2 seconds after the snap. You have to protect the opportunity to get points above everything else. And if they could have gotten the FG there, that in hindsight would have been all they needed.

I listened to John Spears and Tony on their radio broadcast. They were mystified as to why with about 45 seconds left in the first half when the St. X receiver went out of bounds inside the 10 yard line why did the refs not stop the clock.

They even commented following the play that by going out of bounds that would save X a timeout. But the refs did not stop the clock. Can anyone clarify this?

 

I also heard this, but that isn't an excuse when X had the ball inside the 10 twice on fresh chains.

Hopefully will be able to see some video of it tomorrow, but I did listen to the broadcast from the Purples' side of things: Sporting Times Magazine | Purples Nation - Listen Live on STBN. The play in question comes around the 49:30 mark. The commentator for the Purples also mentions the clock not stopping, indicating that the refs might have ruled forward progress. Beats me.

 

I'm not saying that it wouldn't have had an effect had they had more time. But I am saying that either the coach or the QB failed in a big way on that situation at the end of the first half. 3rd and Goal from the 6 with 15 seconds left and no timeouts, literally the only thing you cannot let happen is a tackle inbounds and/or a sack. You need to call basically a three step drop and immediate throw. Perhaps a fade or a quick out but the throw goes to the end zone no matter what. I haven't seen the play, don't know what happened beyond that X got sacked by the guy that always does it, Holt. Correct me if I'm wrong, but even an intentional grounding would have stopped the clock. IMO that ball has to be out of his hand about 2 seconds after the snap. You have to protect the opportunity to get points above everything else. And if they could have gotten the FG there, that in hindsight would have been all they needed.

 

Having now seen the play...... I can only tell you I have no idea why the official continued the clock running. If it was forward progress it would have been for maybe half a yard advancement, if that. Runner impacted by defender and went sideways out of bounds on his feet. It's the type of thing I'm not even certain gets called forward progress in the NFL. Is what it is.

 

I still lay most culpability at X's feet and there's no guarantee they hit the FG even with the time to get the attempt off. And I still feel like they called the wrong play for the situation on 3rd and goal having seen it.

If X can not fix the problems of poor execuition in the green zone, then this season will be an addition to the growing list of under achieving teams. You can't beat anybody but yourself when you get nothing on repeated trips inside the 20 and accompany this with very poor clock management. OK, I stated the obvious. Lets see if its corrected!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Runner impacted by defender and went sideways out of bounds on his feet.

 

 

Won't even try to quote the rule but usually the official will signal to keep clock running in this situation. It seems some official will signal to keep clock running if there is any engagement before going out of bounds.

If X can not fix the problems of poor execuition in the green zone, then this season will be an addition to the growing list of under achieving teams. You can't beat anybody but yourself when you get nothing on repeated trips inside the 20 and accompany this with very poor clock management. OK, I stated the obvious. Lets see if its corrected!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Just to add to your comment, when playing good teams you cannot settle for field goals. At the end of the day against top competition, field goals get you beat.

I have a hard time calling this X team underachieving. They don't have near the personnel of the last couple of X teams but are significantly better on Defense.

^ I did not say they are under achieving! If they continue to make the same misstakes that cost them the W vs. Bowling Green, then we will have to reevaluate the situation come November.... WRT personnel, if X has the ability to drive inside the 20 multiple times vs. Bowling Green, then they have the ability to finish the drive!!!! Lack of personnel is not an acceptable answer!!!!

Great game by both teams! Both teams played very tough all the way until the last minute. There were a couple of questionable calls on both sides of the ball, but that's football. Good teams play through those calls and that's exactly what X and BG did. Many are questioning X and how they'll do in the playoffs. If you ask me, I see them doing very well after the performance last night. That is if the coaching staff will allow them. And as for Bowling Green, what a performance. The Jungle D really showed what they were about Friday night. McIntyre played with an amazing heart as well as Scott. The offense struggled at points but that's going to happen against some big and talented kids from X. All in all, this is a game to remember! Great game Purples! :banana:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.