Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Scott 2 Boone County 1 (Boys)

Featured Replies

This was mentioned on this site when the story broke. And for the most part this is a piece of shoddy reporting. Aside from the test scores, the rest of this was a small group of parents with an axe to grind against certain members of the administration, and not a reflection of the majority of the population. The fact that a news team was there at that meeting, tells you someone told the to come, as I don't think it's commonplace for newstations to attend schoolboard meetings. And no other news organization found this story worthy of reporting. And in regards to the test scores, those happened to improve significantly over the last year, and of course that piece never got reported. Scott is no different than any other school....sure there are a few bad apples, but the majority of the students are good kids. Scott High School has served my children well. I can't argue or defend the number of ejections the soccer team has incurred. It's absolutely true, and it's embarrassing. Again, this is a soccer issue. There is no other evidence that points to a school wide problem.

If my memory serves me right...I believe a student, possibly a junior and class president, stood up at that meeting and, on behalf of the student body, pleaded with the admin to bring the school under control.

  • Replies 118
  • Views 18.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure this was start of 2013 season? I don't recall any this year or last for CCH. But I do recall at least one in 2012.

 

Yeah, these do look like 2012 numbers and don't reflect the ones given in Bluegrass.

If my memory serves me right...I believe a student, possibly a junior and class president, stood up at that meeting and, on behalf of the student body, pleaded with the admin to bring the school under control.

 

Yep. Again, a small group of people. And while the kid was the Class president, this was not a move that was run by the rest of the student council, and most of the student council was not aware that this was taking place. All you see and know about is what one news station reported, and never did any follow up on or try to find other points of view. There are two sides to every story and the other, much larger side, was never reported.

Red cards do not tell the entire story, because red cards can be issued for many things; however, just a quick look at the DQ list and red cards issued since the start of the 2013 season.

 

 

Scott: 10

Boone: 7

Conner: 3

Simon Kenton: 3

Cooper: 2

Dixie: 2

Cov. Cath: 2

Brossart: 1

Highlands: 1

Villla: 1

Campbell: 1

NCC: 0

Ryle: 0

St. Henry: 0

Holy Cross: 0

Holmes: 0

 

I am sure I forgot someone, but anyway you cut it they have more than the others and that was true even before the ones the other night were issued.

 

Now that I look at this further (KHSAA DQ Reports on File) the numbers are only accurate by school. It doesn't distinquish between girls and boys soccer, but does give the level (Freshman, JV, Varsity). And to correct my previous post, this goes back to 2013.

So the teachers are in that small group also?

 

"A recent survey of Scott teachers also shows educators there believe 18 percent of students follow school conduct rules and only 39 percent of respondents said the school’s administration makes a sufficient effort to manage students' behavior."

Yep. Again, a small group of people. And while the kid was the Class president, this was not a move that was run by the rest of the student council, and most of the student council was not aware that this was taking place. All you see and know about is what one news station reported, and never did any follow up on or try to find other points of view. There are two sides to every story and the other, much larger side, was never reported.

That is very unfortunate. It's a pity the school didn't try to get the news channel to do a more positive follow-up. Bad news travels fast, that whole story set Twitter on fire around the same time. Anyway, I know Scott has some great kids, hopefully they can put last week's red cards and bad press behind them, and move on.

So the teachers are in that small group also?

 

"A recent survey of Scott teachers also shows educators there believe 18 percent of students follow school conduct rules and only 39 percent of respondents said the school’s administration makes a sufficient effort to manage students' behavior."

 

Take a closer look at that poll and what it's saying. How many teachers were polled, what questions were asked, and who did the polling?? 18%?? How did they arrive at that number?? Did they look at a list of students and go line by line, and check off whether each student followed rules?? Or do you think they pulled everyone in the auditorium and had the teachers point out who was a rule follower and wasn't. Without surveying all the teachers and asking about every student, that 18% number is completely flawed. And do you really believe only 200 out of 1100 students follow conduct rules?? As far as the 39% of respondents, how many teachers were polled?? 10?? 20?? Or all of them. Or just the one's they knew were unhappy?? That poll is far from scientific, and I don't see how you can put any stock in what it says.

 

Again, I can't defend the soccer team. The number of red cards/ejections are clear, and not disputable. There is real evidence that is there. But this other stuff is pure garbage reporting. I know too many good kids and teachers in that building. That news report and that poll and using that to bash the entire School and student body, is painting with a large and inaccurate brush.

The story references a survey of Scott Teachers....... Do you know it DOESN'T include all teachers? I understand you want to discredit this because of your close ties to the school.....I personally hope you are correct........but Teachers will know better than anyone else........

The story references a survey of Scott Teachers....... Do you know it DOESN'T include all teachers? I understand you want to discredit this because of your close ties to the school.....I personally hope you are correct........but Teachers will know better than anyone else........

 

Yes I do know it doesn't include all teachers. And again, I ask, how could you possibly come up with the "only 18% of student follow conduct rules" in scientifically accurate poll. Do you take a list of 100 students and run it by all the teachers?? How would you insure an unbiasd chosen sample size?? How would you handle conflicting opinions concerning a student or students? And if somehow the poll, was found to be legit, how can you explain the number of students that have gone on to be successful? If there were 900 misbehaving kids at that school, there's now way any learning could take place, and you would have heard many other news stories and some sort of follow up. As it is, that story died, and no other news company saw any validity to run it. I get the belief I'm somewhat biased, and maybe I am. But really, how anyone can put their faith in such a questionable poll, I just cannot understand. I'm not sure why you have such a strong dislike Scott.

" I'm not sure why you have such a strong dislike Scott. "

 

I love Scott.....I can sing the fight song........OTB84 spent more time around Scott during HS than CCH.....Was around during the SK/Scott sharing of the school....Dated a Scott girl since Sophomore year and Married her........probably going to be at the 30 year reunion this year ...if they have one.....Best friends with Scott students growing up.....

 

I guess I'm just a little more objective at this point.........

" I'm not sure why you have such a strong dislike Scott. "

 

I love Scott.....I can sing the fight song........OTB84 spent more time around Scott during HS than CCH.....Was around during the SK/Scott sharing of the school....Dated a Scott girl since Sophomore year and Married her........probably going to be at the 30 year reunion this year ...if they have one.....Best friends with Scott students growing up.....

 

I guess I'm just a little more objective at this point.........

 

Fair enough. I apologize if I interpreted you incorrectly. And while I may be a little biased, it doesn't change the fact that if you just stop and take a real look, that poll that was referenced and use as a smoking gun, is seriously flawed, and has been used to discredit many students and faculty who do not deserve it. You want to bash the soccer team for the red cards...go ahead, they deserve it base on the evidence. But don't bring in faulty evidence, and use it to paint what's going on with the number of ejections as a symptom of a larger problem. If these ejections and problems were consistent across all sports, then yes, i'd have to say there is a serious problem. But the truth is, there isn't. This is strictly an issue with the soccer team. And there isn't any other legitimate evidence that clearly says it isn't.

The red cards from the other night was mostly due to the Boone players hacking and getting in our face too much. I heard one of our players tell them to get out of my face but not sure he heard that. You can't blame our players for standing up for themselves. Yes we have a couple of troublemakers on the team but that is true of every team. Boone has more than a couple probably but they got what was coming to them with the red cards.

The red cards from the other night was mostly due to the Boone players hacking and getting in our face too much. I heard one of our players tell them to get out of my face but not sure he heard that. You can't blame our players for standing up for themselves. Yes we have a couple of troublemakers on the team but that is true of every team. Boone has more than a couple probably but they got what was coming to them with the red cards.

 

Um yes, I can blame the students for "sticking up for themselves" at least in the way they apparently did.

 

They have other options than what they resorted to. That's the point of school. To learn to take the civilized route. Just because you see someone being a fool you don't add to the problem.

We all need to use the report a post feature and not take things into our own hands.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.