Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Scott 2 Boone County 1 (Boys)

Featured Replies

In response to Sports Fan's explanation of the alleged punch from a Scott player:

 

How do you break up a confrontation by throwing a punch? :idunno:

  • Replies 118
  • Views 18.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Striking" I believe, is the red-card offense... it doesn't have to be a punch. Refs will correct me if I'm mistaken.

 

No need to wait... I'm wrong. Striking not in-and-of itself a red card. I guess that's why I try to let the refs do the reffing.

In the past 5 years I can remember 1 red card for CCH......it was for a double yellow for a tackle perceived from behind, after a yellow earlier in the game.........

 

How many reds did each team receive LAST year and so far this year? Straight or Double yellow?

 

Just curious.

No need to wait... I'm wrong. Striking not in-and-of itself a red card. I guess that's why I try to let the refs do the reffing.

 

I don't think you are correct. Striking an opponent is certainly considered "violent conduct" and almost always results in straight red. Straight red offenses below:

 

A player, substitute or substituted player is sent off if he commits any of the following seven offences:

 

 

•serious foul play

•violent conduct

•spitting at an opponent or any other person

•denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within his own penalty area)

•denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick

•using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures

•receiving a second caution in the same match

I wouldn't be surprised to see a few of the reds overturned by an appeal.

 

Can this be done? I would assume that this is a judgement call and would not be subject to an appeal process.

I knew I should have gone to see this one.

 

First things first, a team has to field 7 players, once they get to 6 the game has to be stopped so I'm in doubt of that bit of info.

 

Second, the way they explained it in the youth ref course is that striking, while most of the time is a red card, is not always. The reason when you write it up though is violent conduct. I think they told us high school has slightly different reasons.

 

I don't see how you can blame refs on this one, clearly sounds like giving cards was not making anyone stand up and realize what was going on.

 

Hopefully no one was seriously hurt, good luck the rest of the season and someone have a sit down because it sounds like it is needed.

Can this be done? I would assume that this is a judgement call and would not be subject to an appeal process.

 

In all my years of supporting club and high school soccer, and following EPL, Euro cup, World Cup, I don't ever recall a red or yellow card or any other calls being overturned or reversed on appeal.

If the descriptions on here have been accurate......and knowing how soccer parents/fans are always objective.....I am sure they are.

 

Here's my take....from someone that wasn't there.

 

If the ref gave a straight red 5 minutes in.......It doesn't sound as if the ref was holding back anything to try to control the game.

 

At that point, it becomes the Coaches responsibility to control their teams.......it all reflects back on them. I understand players protecting their own, but sounds as this was the definition of out of control. They know which players can control themselves and which cannot, so keeping those players on the field to receive a red, is their issue.......

 

.............also.....refs can mandate water breaks, right........what about a cooling down break? Send both teams off for 5 minutes and then restart letting the Coaches that the leash has just gotten smaller......might help Coaches regain control of their teams....if they want to.

 

....again I ask.....anyone know how many reds each of these teams received last year and this? Is there a pattern.

Usually when we hear that an official let a game get out of control it means they didn't call enough penalties/whistles early to set the tone.

 

From your post I would ask how many more cards should have been called. Sounds like players just simply failed to heed/care.

 

I have to side with Clyde on this one... It appears that the refs tried to keep the match under control by using the mechanism (cards) at their disposal. If the accounts from others is anywhere near being accurate, given the chance, I would question the coaches.

 

I would like to know what they did as "leaders" to help minimize their players negative impact on this match. In simple terms.... did they pull, and sit, any players because of their behavior.

I wouldn't say I was surprised either but the sheer number of cards given is really extraordinary and merits investigation. I'd be interested to know if there are records kept of red/yellow cards give by team and see the totals of area teams over the last couple of years.

 

KHSAA disqualifications are public record ... see KHSAA DQ Reports on File

 

According to that report, 5 players were disqualified (red card) from the game (3 from Boone, 2 from Scott). I believe the punishment is removal from the game, plus two additional games. If so, the Scott players will miss a key district seeding game against Campbell Co on Tuesday 9/9.

KHSAA disqualifications are public record ... see KHSAA DQ Reports on File

 

According to that report, 5 players were disqualified (red card) from the game (3 from Boone, 2 from Scott). I believe the punishment is removal from the game, plus two additional games. If so, the Scott players will miss a key district seeding game against Campbell Co on Tuesday 9/9.

 

Sounds like a slight exaggeration on the number of cards issued but still pretty excessive.

I wouldn't say I was surprised either but the sheer number of cards given is really extraordinary and merits investigation. I'd be interested to know if there are records kept of red/yellow cards give by team and see the totals of area teams over the last couple of years.

 

If there are, I would be surprised if both of these teams are not fairly high on the list.

If the descriptions on here have been accurate......and knowing how soccer parents/fans are always objective.....I am sure they are.

 

Here's my take....from someone that wasn't there.

 

If the ref gave a straight red 5 minutes in.......It doesn't sound as if the ref was holding back anything to try to control the game.

 

At that point, it becomes the Coaches responsibility to control their teams.......it all reflects back on them. I understand players protecting their own, but sounds as this was the definition of out of control. They know which players can control themselves and which cannot, so keeping those players on the field to receive a red, is their issue.......

 

.............also.....refs can mandate water breaks, right........what about a cooling down break? Send both teams off for 5 minutes and then restart letting the Coaches that the leash has just gotten smaller......might help Coaches regain control of their teams....if they want to.

 

....again I ask.....anyone know how many reds each of these teams received last year and this? Is there a pattern.

 

No, refs cannot mandate water breaks. The playing time and execution of the game is mandated by rules. The only exception is the use of mandated water breaks for heat index tolerance levels.

 

That said, refs do have other means to "cool" the game down those include tactics such as elongating the substitution (basically, wait for the player coming off to be completely off the the field and the player coming on to be in a ready position and then then pausiing a few extra seconds), talking to a player at a normal stoppage (the "I don't want to see anymore" talk).

 

But they cannot stop the clock outside of those times the NFHS rules state.

 

They can use other tools to try to maintain temperatures in the game such as talking to players in advance of conflict letting them know they are there and watching.

 

That all said, and not having been in attendance, at the end of the day it's on VERY rare occasions that the Ref is the cause of the problems described in this thread. Refs in general (yes, generalization here) do NOT want to pull cards or get involved in a game. They are there for two reasons. First and foremost is the safety of the players. Secondly, would be rules enforcement.

 

It's games like this why HS soccer has so many black eyes in relative comparison to Club soccer. I'm betting that many of the same kids who were involved would most likely not be involved in similar type of behavior if they play high level club ball (which i know some of them are) where the general soccer IQ of player (not just technical abilities but understanding of the use of tactical fouls versus shear hacking, judging how refs call games), coaches and parents themselves overall are much higher.

 

I'm sure, I've just now offended most involved in this thread but state it with first hand experience at being one of all the above roles with the exception of HS coach.

 

Whether the idea on another thread about accumulating cards and having consequences would help curtail situations like this or not I don't know but it's just a shame that situations like this are too common in HS soccer and all involved should look at their role in this occurring before pointing fingers at others be they refs, coaches, players or parents. Yes, we as parents are as equally accountable for instances like this. I've been any many games where I've observed the players react to the ignorant and at times viscous yelling by parents similar to how I've seen them react to bad behavior by their coaches.

 

no answers here but more observations of a situation I DID NOT attend but have attend many many similar games.

KHSAA disqualifications are public record ... see KHSAA DQ Reports on File

 

According to that report, 5 players were disqualified (red card) from the game (3 from Boone, 2 from Scott). I believe the punishment is removal from the game, plus two additional games. If so, the Scott players will miss a key district seeding game against Campbell Co on Tuesday 9/9.

 

Wonder if the teams will quickly schedule a team that they don't need these players for prior to the next "important" games........have seen it done before.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.