Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Scott 2 Boone County 1 (Boys)

Featured Replies

It has been reported that the center referee, before the game, went to a few of the non-white Boone kids and said, "I am not going to put up shenanigans, comprende?"

 

Hopefully, if ScottEagle is a ref she recused herself from reffing this one.

  • Replies 118
  • Views 18.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a fan in the stands for this game, it is by far the worst officiated game I can recall. It has been reported that the center referee, before the game, went to a few of the non-white Boone kids and said, "I am not going to put up shenanigans, comprende?" That sounds as though he already had a pre-conceived judgement of the Boone kids. It snowballed from there.

 

There were numerous yellow cards. Boone received 4 red cards, Scott received 2 red cards. The boys were reacting on the field based on their viewpoint. A couple of the Boone players received reds because of their mouths. If it's true, I think the center referee did not help his cause by what was reported that he had said to the Boone players.

 

I do commend the coaches on both teams for trying to control their teams. I think the fans of both teams were disappointed in how the game progressed. The CR inserted himself in the game and it had an impact on how the game turned out.

 

One positive result of this ......another BGP Soccer blogger.........welcome to the game 01

"Petterson, Chance Soccer (Varsity) 18 Scott 09/05/14 Boone County

Treadway, Luke Soccer (Varsity) 34 Scott 09/05/14 Boone County "

 

Oh Well.....A second mention ....not so positive....

Three comments.

 

1) i understand through a Boone faithful that at least the Boone cards were all deserved. One of the reds was in part due to a player aggressively approaching an AR.

 

2) this is from comments I've heard but also observed first hand that the BC coach really does try to positively influence his players conduct on and off the field. Two examples I saw were at the North Oldham game when one of his key players received a well deserved yellow for a late tackle, he kept him on the bench for a good portion of that half with the score 2-0 and the end still in doubt. He also, didn't start a typical started to hopefully get through to him that his behavior has consequences.

 

3) I point out the above not to call anyone out specifically but to shed light on statement folks have made on this thread about coaches not controlling their players and that it's just not that black and white. If a coach has a key player that also has a history of poor behavior I personally think they best they can do is attempt as best they can to make a positive influence while balancing the needs of the team. Put yourselves in the Scott and Boone coaches shoes and what would or could you really control to have the behavior displayed by players different? Would you really sit a key player who just received a yellow for a "nasty foul" the entire game or would you do what I hear the coaches attempted to do during that game which is explained to player what they are doing wrong (again), tell them it will affect their team and give them the chance to think about it and then provide them a chance to behave correctly?

 

I doubt anyone here truly would sit a player and entire half, because that's basically what it would take to avoid what transpire from what I can tell and heard.

 

At the end of the day, it's the kids that make the decisions and I can't help but wonder what influences those that are repeat offenders have in their lives outside of the 1-2 hours 5-6 days a week for 3 months a coach has.

 

How many at the game heard after the very first foul of the game called by the CR, a scream from a parent/spectator something like " Johnny, don't take that crap" or "get him back".

 

+1. This is a great post. I really appreciate you mentioning what you have observed of Coach Browning's positive approach with the Boone team, along with your other points. He is not excitable on the sideline and so any escalation of emotion does not come from him, it comes from the boys themselves. My opinion of him as the parent of a player is very positive.

"I believe there are several people on this blog that have seen Morgan play and will vouch for the fact that he is not a dirty player."

 

I have seen him play over the years and do agree...... He is a "smart" player......I do not think I could ever define him as "dirty" in any games I've seen.....

I am sure if you asked 10 different people how Treadway got the red you would get 10 different answers. I was at the game and I am a Scott fan so in comparison to the above I will state my version of the incident. Morgan committed a foul against a Boone player, in the process he fell on the ground, ref blew for the foul, Boone Co tried to take a quick re-start while Morgan was still on the ground ( Morgan was never on his feet with the ball between his legs) placing the ball by his head and then kicking him in the chest, Morgan stood up aggressively as was the Boone Co players stance. ( there was no rolling or purposely trying to block a kick) Treadway jumped between the players and pushed the Boone Co player away from Morgan.

 

I believe there are several people on this blog that have seen Morgan play and will vouch for the fact that he is not a dirty player. I have no issue with the yellow being given although I believe the Boone player should have received one as well--both actions were unsporting behavior. As for Luke getting a red--that is where "violent conduct" needs to be more consistent. I have seen kids do more and get a yellow....

 

Well, that certainly sounds like a plausible scenario too. Thanks for posting this. What I reported came from someone on the field. Looks like we have a "He said... he said."

 

I am not disputing any of the yellow cards or red cards received by Boone kids. I do know that sometimes it was for an action and sometimes it was for words following the action. Treadway may have received a card for what he said and not what he did. I don't know, but it is a possibility.

 

Maybe the best takeaway from this for me is to control what I can control--myself. We can discuss the ugliness of this game and our different perspectives (and I am not making any excuses for Boone) but I need to be less critical of the refs, esp. in front of my kid. I also will talk with him about respecting the refs and not arguing with them. It's not about them always being correct, but it is about accepting responsibility for one's own actions and the agreement you made to abide by the rules when you stepped on the field and that includes obeying the refs directives.

 

I would love to see Boone play Scott next year and have a hard fought, respectful game with no red cards and no cheap shot infractions.

I think it is all a case of miscommunications. Wasn't there, but looked at the tape and I am pretty good at reading lips.

 

Here is my summary.....

 

Apparently, there were a few players that were seemingly looking to take the Ref to dinner. From my research, something about "Fudruckers." The Ref apparently doesn't care for the restuarant because he told the player that he could go to "Fudruckers."

 

.......or something like that.....

 

:idunno:

One positive result of this ......another BGP Soccer blogger.........welcome to the game 01

 

They are coming in droves...

"I believe there are several people on this blog that have seen Morgan play and will vouch for the fact that he is not a dirty player."

 

I have seen him play over the years and do agree...... He is a "smart" player......I do not think I could ever define him as "dirty" in any games I've seen.....

 

I would be one to "vouch" for Devin, I think he is a good kid... both on and off the pitch. I know personally that he has been a good influence, friend, and mentor, for my son.

At the risk of calling out the CR.....please do not give any names........what was his experience? Has he been around a while?

I think it is all a case of miscommunications. Wasn't there, but looked at the tape and I am pretty good at reading lips.

 

Here is my summary.....

 

Apparently, there were a few players that were seemingly looking to take the Ref to dinner. From my research, something about "Fudruckers." The Ref apparently doesn't care for the restuarant because he told the player that he could go to "Fudruckers."

 

.......or something like that.....

 

:idunno:

 

I think they might have been talking about Fudpuckers, nice little place to eat in Ft Walton, FL.

If it is the guy I heard he is fairly experienced. Years of service don't mean refs have had to deal with matches like this though. Some people probably ref for 20 years and never give a red card. Depends on what kind of games you get.

I think they might have been talking about Fudpuckers, nice little place to eat in Ft Walton, FL.

 

Feed the gators......

Feed the gators......

 

I love the T-shirts... great slogan.

I am not disputing any of the yellow cards or red cards received .....

Maybe the best takeaway from this for me is to control what I can control--myself. We can discuss the ugliness of this game and our different perspectives (and I am not making any excuses for Boone) but I need to be less critical of the refs, esp. in front of my kid. I also will talk with him about respecting the refs and not arguing with them. It's not about them always being correct, but it is about accepting responsibility for one's own actions and the agreement you made to abide by the rules when you stepped on the field and that includes obeying the refs directives.

 

Being in this for some 40+ years from all angles this post is about the most prolific statement I think I've heard in many many years and goes to the point I was trying to make about the influences players have that affect how they conduct themselves. There's absolutely nothing wrong about rooting for a team, being mad about a situation or even expressing disagreement (assuming it comes in a respectful manner) spending equal amount of time influencing a player in a positive manner by instead of blinding defending a player/team or placing blame on another player/ref, parents took your approach and talk their son/daughter about the words the refs read off before every game

"..High School athletics emphasize positive values.... We remind you that we expect good behavior and will quickly penalize misconduct. We encourage and appreciate your help. Let this competition reflect mutual respect among all participants, coaches and officials."

 

Too bad they don't have the announcers spend time before each game reading that off instead of effort they put into reading the names of the starting lineup everyone in the stadium knows by heart. if they did maybe the whole intent of the game wouldn't be lost before the whistle is even blown to start the game and just maybe more parents will take it upon themselves to contribute to seeing less if not all of that type of behavior is elliminated from the game.

 

Yes, polly anna (yes, dating myself with that one) in view but really isn't it what's needed?

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.