Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Scott 2 Boone County 1 (Boys)

Featured Replies

KHSAA disqualifications are public record ... see KHSAA DQ Reports on File

 

According to that report, 5 players were disqualified (red card) from the game (3 from Boone, 2 from Scott). I believe the punishment is removal from the game, plus two additional games. If so, the Scott players will miss a key district seeding game against Campbell Co on Tuesday 9/9.

 

Would be interesting in seeing the actual game report filed by the CR on that game. The public report on KHSAA's website only states "Red Card". It appears other sports are more descriptive for reasons but for soccer it's generic, yet I believe the CR must submit in his/her game report the rule violated for the ejection and most likely some supporting information (e.g. if double yellow the rule violated for each yellow), at least that's how Game Reports are filled out for USSF games. If so, then the guess work of why someone was ejected would be taken out of the discussion.

  • Replies 118
  • Views 18.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a slight exaggeration on the number of cards issued but still pretty excessive.

 

You're correct. The State enforces a two game ban. No exceptions.

Wonder if the teams will quickly schedule a team that they don't need these players for prior to the next "important" games........have seen it done before.

 

At this point most teams have their max of 20 games scheduled. With the "rain" outs coaches are struggling to even get those rescheduled much less pull this tactic. Sad if any coach does or has done this. What message is that sending to the kids? Sorry if you miss a big District game. You made the wrong choice, you suffer the consequence.

You're correct. The State enforces a two game ban. No exceptions.

 

I am curious to see if any of them get more than a 2 game ban, I think this is where the report from the CR comes into play.

Three comments.

 

1) i understand through a Boone faithful that at least the Boone cards were all deserved. One of the reds was in part due to a player aggressively approaching an AR.

 

2) this is from comments I've heard but also observed first hand that the BC coach really does try to positively influence his players conduct on and off the field. Two examples I saw were at the North Oldham game when one of his key players received a well deserved yellow for a late tackle, he kept him on the bench for a good portion of that half with the score 2-0 and the end still in doubt. He also, didn't start a typical started to hopefully get through to him that his behavior has consequences.

 

3) I point out the above not to call anyone out specifically but to shed light on statement folks have made on this thread about coaches not controlling their players and that it's just not that black and white. If a coach has a key player that also has a history of poor behavior I personally think they best they can do is attempt as best they can to make a positive influence while balancing the needs of the team. Put yourselves in the Scott and Boone coaches shoes and what would or could you really control to have the behavior displayed by players different? Would you really sit a key player who just received a yellow for a "nasty foul" the entire game or would you do what I hear the coaches attempted to do during that game which is explained to player what they are doing wrong (again), tell them it will affect their team and give them the chance to think about it and then provide them a chance to behave correctly?

 

I doubt anyone here truly would sit a player and entire half, because that's basically what it would take to avoid what transpire from what I can tell and heard.

 

At the end of the day, it's the kids that make the decisions and I can't help but wonder what influences those that are repeat offenders have in their lives outside of the 1-2 hours 5-6 days a week for 3 months a coach has.

 

How many at the game heard after the very first foul of the game called by the CR, a scream from a parent/spectator something like " Johnny, don't take that crap" or "get him back".

According to a reliable source, there was a total of 6 red cards, 4 issued to Boone and 2 to Scott, and 14 yellow cards. Needless to say, it was an outrageous game.

No, refs cannot mandate water breaks. The playing time and execution of the game is mandated by rules. The only exception is the use of mandated water breaks for heat index tolerance levels.

 

That said, refs do have other means to "cool" the game down those include tactics such as elongating the substitution (basically, wait for the player coming off to be completely off the the field and the player coming on to be in a ready position and then then pausiing a few extra seconds), talking to a player at a normal stoppage (the "I don't want to see anymore" talk).

 

But they cannot stop the clock outside of those times the NFHS rules state.

 

They can use other tools to try to maintain temperatures in the game such as talking to players in advance of conflict letting them know they are there and watching.

 

That all said, and not having been in attendance, at the end of the day it's on VERY rare occasions that the Ref is the cause of the problems described in this thread. Refs in general (yes, generalization here) do NOT want to pull cards or get involved in a game. They are there for two reasons. First and foremost is the safety of the players. Secondly, would be rules enforcement.

 

It's games like this why HS soccer has so many black eyes in relative comparison to Club soccer. I'm betting that many of the same kids who were involved would most likely not be involved in similar type of behavior if they play high level club ball (which i know some of them are) where the general soccer IQ of player (not just technical abilities but understanding of the use of tactical fouls versus shear hacking, judging how refs call games), coaches and parents themselves overall are much higher.

 

I'm sure, I've just now offended most involved in this thread but state it with first hand experience at being one of all the above roles with the exception of HS coach.

 

Whether the idea on another thread about accumulating cards and having consequences would help curtail situations like this or not I don't know but it's just a shame that situations like this are too common in HS soccer and all involved should look at their role in this occurring before pointing fingers at others be they refs, coaches, players or parents. Yes, we as parents are as equally accountable for instances like this. I've been any many games where I've observed the players react to the ignorant and at times viscous yelling by parents similar to how I've seen them react to bad behavior by their coaches.

 

no answers here but more observations of a situation I DID NOT attend but have attend many many similar games.

 

I don't think anybody will be offended by your comments. You make some valid points. And yes, we parents have an effect, for good or ill, on the attitude of our players.

According to a reliable source, there was a total of 6 red cards, 4 issued to Boone and 2 to Scott, and 14 yellow cards. Needless to say, it was an outrageous game.

 

one of two things are in error. Either the game reports was written wrong/KHSAA recorded it incorrectly or your reliable source isn't so reliable.

 

Per KHSAA's website KHSAA DQ Reports on File

 

Downs, Beau Soccer (Varsity) 3 Boone County 09/04/14 Scott

Gascon, Sam Soccer (Varsity) 16 Boone County 09/05/14 Scott

Espinoza, Enrique Soccer (Varsity) 00 Boone County 09/05/14 Scott

 

Petterson, Chance Soccer (Varsity) 18 Scott 09/05/14 Boone County

Treadway, Luke Soccer (Varsity) 34 Scott 09/05/14 Boone County

 

note: i too heard 4 were ejected from boone but I wasn't there and I'm going off the KHSAA report noted above.

The number of red cards indicates to me that there was dirty play going all around and then retaliation by the boys. The first Boone red card came at 5 min mark and the kid was on the bench. He had just got a yellow and was sent out of game. From the bench he must have said something that deserved a red card. Indicates to me that the ref may have missed some previous stuff and penalized one player. That does not excuse the kid's behavior. He was in the wrong. You just don't argue with the ref.

 

This is what usually happens when a game gets out of control. Lots of stuff is missed and then boys retaliate. I was not at the game but my family was. I can't present an objective picture of what occurred because I only know it from my family's perspective. I do know that when my wife was walking out a Scott parent said, "I am really embarrassed by my team (meaning Scott)." Another Scott parent had her son on the sideline and was chewing him out and he was in tears. It wasn't just a Boone thing. Both sides were at fault and share equally in what occurred. The fans could not keep up with all the cards and all the violence. Deliberate elbows being thrown when refs not looking and some punches. My kid received a head-butt. And another time went down hard as the result of rough play (read that as not within the bounds of the rules). He said that one Scott player did apologize to him for the cheap shot later in the game. BTW, my son has never received a yellow card. So don't characterize "Boone" as the bad guys here. Plenty to go around. I do know the Boone coach is furious and will levy some punishments to certain boys, maybe even suspending them from play beyond the red card violation. Getting a red card only hurts your team, not only in the present game but for two games to come. Boone was already down their top striker and one of their starting defenders could not play due to injury, now they will be sitting X number of boys for two games. St. Henry sure will benefit.

 

Now, what happened when Treadway was given a card? The sequence went like this. Scott player was called for an infraction. Boone was awarded a free kick. Boone player tried to take the free kick. Scott player had the ball between his legs and wouldn't move. Boone player waited and still Scott player stood there with the ball. My understanding is that on a free kick the offending team has to back away from the ball 10 (?) feet. Scott player continued to stand over the ball so Boone player took the kick aiming for ball and leg, I imagine. Scott player went down. Boone player moved ball aside to take his free kick. Scott player rolled over in front of ball trying to prevent the free kick. Boone player kicked ball hard into Scott player's face. That attracted the attention of players from both teams. Scott player given a yellow card. Treadway registered his disapproval with the ref and this resulted in his red card. I don't know if he pushed/punched the Boone player or not but he was jawing with the ref. The Boone player did not get called for an infraction.

 

I think everyone involved should be embarrassed. It wasn't just a Boone thing. To be honest, I am getting tired of hearing that. I've been at plenty of games to know that the Boone players often are to blame, but so is the other team, and frequently the refs are to blame for lousy calls.

 

I am sure if you asked 10 different people how Treadway got the red you would get 10 different answers. I was at the game and I am a Scott fan so in comparison to the above I will state my version of the incident. Morgan committed a foul against a Boone player, in the process he fell on the ground, ref blew for the foul, Boone Co tried to take a quick re-start while Morgan was still on the ground ( Morgan was never on his feet with the ball between his legs) placing the ball by his head and then kicking him in the chest, Morgan stood up aggressively as was the Boone Co players stance. ( there was no rolling or purposely trying to block a kick) Treadway jumped between the players and pushed the Boone Co player away from Morgan.

 

I believe there are several people on this blog that have seen Morgan play and will vouch for the fact that he is not a dirty player. I have no issue with the yellow being given although I believe the Boone player should have received one as well--both actions were unsporting behavior. As for Luke getting a red--that is where "violent conduct" needs to be more consistent. I have seen kids do more and get a yellow....

I am sure if you asked 10 different people how Treadway got the red you would get 10 different answers. I was at the game and I am a Scott fan so in comparison to the above I will state my version of the incident. Morgan committed a foul against a Boone player, in the process he fell on the ground, ref blew for the foul, Boone Co tried to take a quick re-start while Morgan was still on the ground ( Morgan was never on his feet with the ball between his legs) placing the ball by his head and then kicking him in the chest, Morgan stood up aggressively as was the Boone Co players stance. ( there was no rolling or purposely trying to block a kick) Treadway jumped between the players and pushed the Boone Co player away from Morgan.

 

I believe there are several people on this blog that have seen Morgan play and will vouch for the fact that he is not a dirty player. I have no issue with the yellow being given although I believe the Boone player should have received one as well--both actions were unsporting behavior. As for Luke getting a red--that is where "violent conduct" needs to be more consistent. I have seen kids do more and get a yellow....

 

I feel that consistency is probably the biggest issue for many people. Based on your version of the incident, I have seen kids do more than what you described and not receive a card at all.

Anyone know if Borkowski from BC is hurt? He was second in scoring last year and I see he's only played in 1 game this year based on what I'm seeing on KHSAA stats page.

Anyone know if Borkowski from BC is hurt? He was second in scoring last year and I see he's only played in 1 game this year based on what I'm seeing on KHSAA stats page.

 

He was injured at the end of last season so I don't know if he re-injured the same thing or not.

As a fan in the stands for this game, it is by far the worst officiated game I can recall. It has been reported that the center referee, before the game, went to a few of the non-white Boone kids and said, "I am not going to put up shenanigans, comprende?" That sounds as though he already had a pre-conceived judgement of the Boone kids. It snowballed from there.

 

There were numerous yellow cards. Boone received 4 red cards, Scott received 2 red cards. The boys were reacting on the field based on their viewpoint. A couple of the Boone players received reds because of their mouths. If it's true, I think the center referee did not help his cause by what was reported that he had said to the Boone players.

 

I do commend the coaches on both teams for trying to control their teams. I think the fans of both teams were disappointed in how the game progressed. The CR inserted himself in the game and it had an impact on how the game turned out.

Anyone know if Borkowski from BC is hurt? He was second in scoring last year and I see he's only played in 1 game this year based on what I'm seeing on KHSAA stats page.

 

I was told a couple of weeks ago that he is no longer on the team, as in kicked off. I have no firm proof of this but the stats lead me to believe that this could be correct.

I feel that consistency is probably the biggest issue for many people. Based on your version of the incident, I have seen kids do more than what you described and not receive a card at all.

 

The rules in soccer make a drastic distinction between things that happen during play and during a dead ball.

 

Things that occur during play that may be just a foul or a yellow are often red when play is dead.

 

No consistency issue at all.

 

As far as the person still trying to blame the referee for this. Come on. At some point people need to take a long hard look at themselves.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.