September 2, 201412 yr I have no idea what the kids motives were, or if the reaction by his family was authentic, but reading this I did wonder if it could be a hoax used to generate publicity / money. Remember that bus driver that was treated badly by the students a few years back and got something like half a million from one of those crowd funding sites. I'm sure that has lead to people staging incidents for the purpose of trying to cash in. Not saying that is the case in this particular incident, but it did cross my mind.
September 2, 201412 yr A friend of mine recently came out to his parents several months ago. I was appalled at how his family reacted.
September 2, 201412 yr A friend of mine recently came out to his parents several months ago. I was appalled at how his family reacted. Sad state of affairs when your own family can't accept you for what you are.
September 2, 201412 yr Sad state of affairs when your own family can't accept you for what you are. Im sure they will learn to accept it. Time usually does that. But no where does it say they have to be proud their son/daughter is gay.
September 2, 201412 yr Really a shame. The worst part is is that you never see the thousands of gays who "come out" with no backlash, and because of this Christians (especially Catholics) are labeled as homophobes, despite there being no belief/dogma/etc that says there is something wrong with being gay. I have known several family/friends who came out to very traditional Catholic families. Fortunately except for one person 40 years ago they were all met with understanding and love. Even that one person came around before his son passed away from Aids, thank God. I'd like to think that we're moving forward, however slowly.
September 2, 201412 yr Im sure they will learn to accept it. Time usually does that. But no where does it say they have to be proud their son/daughter is gay. Just be proud of their son/daughter and respect them.
September 2, 201412 yr I have known several family/friends who came out to very traditional Catholic families. Fortunately except for one person 40 years ago they were all met with understanding and love. Even that one person came around before his son passed away from Aids, thank God. I'd like to think that we're moving forward, however slowly. That is great to hear that you know of some positive "coming out" stories, because they rarely make the news. Who do you mean by "we" when you say "we're moving forward?" Society, I hope, since Catholics (if they are 100% truly faithful to the Word of God and not 'cafeteria Catholics), as mentioned above, do not believe and have not ever believed there is ANYTHING objectively wrong with having a homosexual attraction. But if you meant society then you already knew that. :up:
September 3, 201412 yr since Catholics (if they are 100% truly faithful to the Word of God and not 'cafeteria Catholics), as mentioned above, do not believe and have not ever believed there is ANYTHING objectively wrong with having a homosexual attraction. Interesting. Did you use the word "attraction" for a specific reason? As opposed to "relationship" or "experience?" Or perhaps you were respinding to someone else's use of the word "attraction?"
September 3, 201412 yr Interesting. Did you use the word "attraction" for a specific reason? As opposed to "relationship" or "experience?" Or perhaps you were respinding to someone else's use of the word "attraction?" I used it on purpose because, as I said, there is nothing wrong with simply being attracted to the same sex. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "relationship" or "experience" but I can tell you this: To act upon these same sex desires is morally and objectively wrong, for the same reasons pre-marital sex between a man and a woman is morally and objectively wrong. All of our sexual desires are natural, there is nothing wrong with them simply being there. But for a man and a woman to have sex before marriage is always objectively wrong. Since two persons of the same sex cannot marry, it would be objectively wrong for them to act upon those desires. *Disclaimer* I am not sitting here calling anyone out, calling anyone a sinner, etc., I am just sharing what the Catholic Church teaches. I (and nobody else) do not know who sins, how severe other's sins are, or what their eternal reward or punishment will be. As stated, I'm just sharing the teachings.
September 3, 201412 yr I used it on purpose because, as I said, there is nothing wrong with simply being attracted to the same sex. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "relationship" or "experience" but I can tell you this: To act upon these same sex desires is morally and objectively wrong, for the same reasons pre-marital sex between a man and a woman is morally and objectively wrong. All of our sexual desires are natural, there is nothing wrong with them simply being there. But for a man and a woman to have sex before marriage is always objectively wrong. Since two persons of the same sex cannot marry, it would be objectively wrong for them to act upon those desires. *Disclaimer* I am not sitting here calling anyone out, calling anyone a sinner, etc., I am just sharing what the Catholic Church teaches. I (and nobody else) do not know who sins, how severe other's sins are, or what their eternal reward or punishment will be. As stated, I'm just sharing the teachings. Thanks for the clarification.
September 3, 201412 yr Sometimes it is the way we reveal things that elevates the situation. I had a young lady in my church that was dating a young man from another race. She is an adult (early 30's at the time) and she felt she needed to tell her father but felt he would react with a racist heart. I know the guy. He's a kind and compassionate man who given time can adapt to any situation he feels he needs grow into. I told her she needed to share this news with him if she was afraid of 1) Him finding out from a source other than herself and 2) his reaction being bigoted. She told him. She texted him with a picture of herself sitting in the arms of her boyfriend. That's how she informed him. He was hurting as much by the way he was told rather than the relationship. It took some time but he adjusted but was more hurt by the method rather than the knowledge. I told her that adults don't handle difficult situations that way. You face them and share where your life is. They dated for about 2 years before the relationship ended but the Father had come to accepting the young man in his daughter's life at that time.
September 3, 201412 yr Author Found some more info on this. Family was staging an intervention that he could tell wasn't going well so he started recording. He says a friend that he shared the video with uploaded it to Youtube and started the campaign. FWIW
September 3, 201412 yr Found some more info on this. Family was staging an intervention that he could tell wasn't going well so he started recording. He says a friend that he shared the video with uploaded it to Youtube and started the campaign. FWIW An intervention to make him straight, or was some other substances involved. If it's the former that is the first time I have heard of such a thing.
September 4, 201412 yr An intervention to make him straight, or was some other substances involved. If it's the former that is the first time I have heard of such a thing. Pray the Gay Away? - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
September 15, 201412 yr The situation is rather sad. I have a friend who went through a similar situation with her Pentecostal family. She was assaulted, bullied online and so many insane lies told about her it was sick. Finally she had to get protective orders filed and file civil suits. As of recording things like this. There were times when I had to record interactions with my ex wife. She would cuss and scream at me in front of our kids. It was insane. When we went to court she had to answer to it as well.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.