Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NFL implements new punishments for domestic violence

Featured Replies

Obviously, this is meant to compensate for how hard the NFL has been hammered over the Ray Rice situation. I've seen a good number of headlines triumphantly proclaiming that the NFL is instituting lifetime bans for domestic violence, so I'd say their strategy has worked so far.

 

I agree with a lot of the posters above me that these "automatic" punishments are poorly thought out and might lead to unintended consequences. Automatic* punishments take away discretion and common sense. But, no one would believe the NFL or Goodell if he came out and made a promise that they'd be tougher on domestic violence offenders in the future, so he had to write down a new, tough-sounding policy to be believed.

 

*It's not clear to me how "automatic" these will be. Does one have to be found guilty in court? Does the NFL just need evidence of it? And if so, what counts as evidence? I wonder if they've intentionally left themselves some wiggle room by being ambiguous. Of course, I've never read the NFL's "Personal Conduct Policy" where it might be more explicit.

  • Replies 34
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Undisputed video evidence like Rice is one thing, "he said she said" is another. As stated this was a PR move on the NFL's part and I do think they are sincere. It will be really tough to enforce in the "he said she said" scenario. Not so much in the other. It still will have to come down to individual situations. Not fair any other way. If they are trying to be fair.

 

I like the NFL is making a strong statement and admitted they "got it wrong" in the Rice thing.

  • Author

It doesn't matter what the NFL does going forward this doesn't fix the Ray Rice situation. It's silly to think that they are forgiven because Roger is gonna punish others harder than Rice for the exact same thing. Rice should still be punished worse than he was and the NFL has to live with that. This is damage control and it's still not anything I'd forgive the NFL over.

 

 

RAY RICE RECEIVED 2 GAME SUSPENSION FOR BEATING HIS WIFE!!!!

 

 

Punishing those that do it in the future does nothing to Rice, and how Roger is just now seeing hsi mistake tells me all I need to know about him as a commissioner of this sport. He had his chance during the legal process that took more than a few days to settle, he had plenty of time then and just didn't do anything. There's no new evidence that popped up, he just dropped the ball.

It doesn't matter what the NFL does going forward this doesn't fix the Ray Rice situation. It's silly to think that they are forgiven because Roger is gonna punish others harder than Rice for the exact same thing. Rice should still be punished worse than he was and the NFL has to live with that. This is damage control and it's still not anything I'd forgive the NFL over.

 

 

RAY RICE RECEIVED 2 GAME SUSPENSION FOR BEATING HIS WIFE!!!!

 

 

Punishing those that do it in the future does nothing to Rice, and how Roger is just now seeing hsi mistake tells me all I need to know about him as a commissioner of this sport. He had his chance during the legal process that took more than a few days to settle, he had plenty of time then and just didn't do anything. There's no new evidence that popped up, he just dropped the ball.

 

No way to defend him in the decision on Rice. However, publicly admitting you made a mistake is good leadership. No one is perfect.

So does Ray get 6 games next time or a lifetime ban?

I think he gets 6 games. Not saying that's right, but I believe they will grandfather all in.

 

Problem with him he is getting near the RB age of losing it. I think he has 2 years of quality running left. He's 27 and will be 28 in January. 30 is the tipping point.

I think he gets 6 games. Not saying that's right, but I believe they will grandfather all in.

 

Problem with him he is getting near the RB age of losing it. I think he has 2 years of quality running left. He's 27 and will be 28 in January. 30 is the tipping point.

 

This is what I was thinking.

This morning on ESPN they said 6 games then an entire season...Lifetime Ban wasn't mentioned in the segment that I saw.

 

 

Wouldn't that make more sense?

And just to be clear this includes sexual assault as well.

Is this based on convictions or accusations?

Is this based on convictions or accusations?
It has to be convictions, right?
It has to be convictions, right?

 

I would think so.

 

This is also one of those issues where the NFLPA has to tread lightly.

I would think so.

 

This is also one of those issues where the NFLPA has to tread lightly.

 

It could take months to prove innocence or guilt, so what happens with the players that are under investigation?

It could take months to prove innocence or guilt, so what happens with the players that are under investigation?

But then again, Ray Rice wasn't convicted...This could end up being a mess

But then again, Ray Rice wasn't convicted...This could end up being a mess

 

Great point.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.