What it costs taxpayers for Eric Holder to fly

jericho

On a pleasant Saturday this summer, Eric Holder, his daughters, their boyfriends and two security officers boarded a government-owned Gulfstream and jetted off to New York for the Belmont Stakes Thoroughbred horse race.

Even for personal trips like this, the attorney general doesn’t fly commercial. For security reasons, Holder — like other top government officials — flies a government plane, though is required to reimburse taxpayers for airfare.

According to records obtained by The Daily Caller through a Freedom of Information Act request, Holder is getting pretty good deal here — especially when he flies a government-owned Gulfstream V jet.

That one day trip to Elmont, N.Y. on June 7, according to records provided to TheDC by the Department of Justice, ended up costing the government $14,440.

But Holder only had to reimburse the government $955 for flying him and four passengers to the final leg of the Triple Crown horse races that day.

That’s because he only has to pay the equivalent cost of a coach commercial airline ticket for each non-law enforcement passenger — not the total cost to charter the plane.

The attorney general wrote a check payable to the U.S. Treasury in the amount of $955.00 to cover round trip airfare” for each passenger, the documents provided by the Department of Justice said.

Read more: What Taxpayers Pay When Eric Holder Uses Government Jets | The Daily Caller

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk about ripping off the taxpayer.

That money could have been given to a homeless shelter or bought food for a food pantry.

I have no problem with travel but when its for fun and not business, thats a problem for me.

I have an issue for personal fun, I pay for personal fun and make way less than him. Let him pay like I do. That is whats wrong with our economy and Gov, too much free spending.
You also don't have to travel with a security detail or worry about political assassination. You can travel and no one knows who you are, he would be recognized any where he goes. It is not only safer for him to travel this way but for his security detail as well.

As the AG he can't travel commercial for security reasons. He shouldn't be penalized just because he is AG with huge travel cost any time he goes any where. I'm no fan of him in any way, but this really isn't a big issue IMO.

I have an issue for personal fun, I pay for personal fun and make way less than him. Let him pay like I do. That is whats wrong with our economy and Gov, too much free spending.

C'mon MR, you don't need the security a high profile government official does. This is not close to being new. I would believe he would like to do this on his own time and expense, but he can't and so can't many others in these types of positions. To expect these people to work all the time is unrealistic.

He did pay for those traveling with him. He paid the government rate for them. This is a lot to do about nothing.

I do agree to a certain extent. But all top government officials have security assigned to them nearly all the time, whether they are traveling or not. I'd imagine they'd have protection even for a trip to the supermarket. Like it or not, the protection is necessary. And, it's nothing new. Short of not allowing them any personal freedom and not allowing them to travel, I'm not sure how you fix it.

I do agree to a certain extent. But all top government officials have security assigned to them nearly all the time, whether they are traveling or not. I'd imagine they'd have protection even for a trip to the supermarket. Like it or not, the protection is necessary. And, it's nothing new. Short of not allowing them any personal freedom and not allowing them to travel, I'm not sure how you fix it.

I understand the reason for Holder, but his guests should not be subsidized.

I understand the reason for Holder, but his guests should not be subsidized.

I don't know that they were subsidized. He paid the mandated airfare for them. The protection and flight were taking place whether he had guests or not.

Am I missing something? What did Holder do that was out of the norm?

Nothing. But I think it's ok to have a problem with the norm. I understand that he needs his security detail so I really have no issue. The amount he paid to have guests does make me a little uncomfortable. It is normal, I just don't like it. I'm pretty consistent on wanting the government to spend less money.

Nothing. But I think it's ok to have a problem with the norm. I understand that he needs his security detail so I really have no issue. The amount he paid to have guests does make me a little uncomfortable. It is normal, I just don't like it. I'm pretty consistent on wanting the government to spend less money.

I was just trying to figure out if the issue was with Holder, or the government. Holder did exactly what he was supposed to do. I have no issue with it either. Perks of the job, IMO.

Does it cost anymore for the jet to fly from DC to the track with his kids on the plane than if he was by himself?

Don't know. I just found commercial flights ranging from $350 to $450 per person. That would be $1750 on the low end so I doubt he paid the true commercial cost. I realize this is not uncommon, but is exactly what is wrong with Washington politicians.