Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Are any Catholics getting tired of so many collections each week at church?

Featured Replies

Actually, sisters and brothers are not as cheap as they used to be also. When you hire them, you are now required to send salary and benefit type funds to their order which goes towards paying their healthcare and retirement, much more expensive than it used to be since we are living so much longer. Have you ever seen in the record when they announce the passing of sisters. It seems like all of those sisters make it to 95 or higher. Solemn Vows are almost like mini fountains of youth.

 

I'm sure my own parents would say that the years of stress from dealing with their children have definitely taken years off their lives...

 

That would certainly account for part of it. :lol2:

I would like if church got back to just being mass. Seems theres a new cause for collections every week. I don't mind donating, but I'm getting hit with a lot of different causes. It almost makes me stay home.

 

You've got bigger issues. :ohbrother:

:eyeonyou:

 

Holy Cross Elementary

3615 Church Street

Covington, Kentucky 41015

 

Holy Cross District High School

3617 Church Street

Covington, Kentucky 41015

 

Holy Family

338 East Sixteenth Street

Covington, Kentucky 41014

 

Holy Trinity Elementary

235 Division Street

Bellevue, Kentucky 41073

 

Newport Central Catholic High School

13 Carothers Road

Newport, Kentucky 41071

 

Prince of Peace

625 Pike Street

Covington, Kentucky 41011

 

St. Anthony

485 Grand Avenue

Covington, Kentucky 41015

 

Saint Augustine

1840 Jefferson Avenue

Covington, Kentucky 41014

 

(And yes, I realize New Cath isn't necessarily made up of all students from "inner city" households, but there are still DEFINITELY students who attend who ARE from that background and whose families can't afford the school without assistance. Any guesses where the money that provides them that tuition assistance comes from?)

 

While some of that assistance does come from the Diocese, don't forget the fundraising efforts of NewCath including the Fireworks Fest that is held every year on the hill. All of those proceeds go to the tuition assistance fund. A great cause and a great view of the Labor day fireworks on the river!

While some of that assistance does come from the Diocese, don't forget the fundraising efforts of NewCath including the Fireworks Fest that is held every year on the hill. All of those proceeds go to the tuition assistance fund. A great cause and a great view of the Labor day fireworks on the river!

 

I think the play they have generates even more revenue than the fireworks for tuition assistance.

I think the play they have generates even more revenue than the fireworks for tuition assistance.

 

I believe 80K last year.

The second hit today was for St. Vincent DePaul society. Even had someone speak on behalf of the organization.

The second hit today was for St. Vincent DePaul society. Even had someone speak on behalf of the organization.

 

Ours was for a mission in India.

Excuse me, I rather have the Church asking me if I would like to donate to a particular cause than having the government taking my money through increased taxation. Giving through the Church is the best way to help others in need IMO.

Excuse me, I rather have the Church asking me if I would like to donate to a particular cause than having the government taking my money through increased taxation. Giving through the Church is the best way to help others in need IMO.

 

Bingo.

  • Author

It is more blessed to give than to receive. I popped $60 in this past Sunday to make up for 2 missed Sundays.

If the 2nd collection is for something I believe is a good cause I give, if not no big deal.

I am often times one of the crew collecting money. I generally don't dirty looks during the second collection. However I do when I accidentally (on purpose) bop people on the head who don't give.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.