Best team in the old Class 3A to not win the State Champoinship?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All great teams.

'99 Owensboro. They had a heck of a team. Bo Miller and who was the other kid? Went to Clemson..played in the pros for the Jets? Or was that Miller? And the other kid I'm thinking of was the one who went to UK and played DB I believe? Also had Buster Ashley who was a very good OL on that team...went to IU, later transferred to WKU and was a starter on WKU's '02 1-AA Natty Champ team. That team was very good....Highlands was just SCARY.

'93 Lincoln County. Featured Mr. Football that year, Jeremy Simpson. They lost to a powerful CovCath team by a couple TD's.

Bowling Green and their 2-3 peat as runners up in the Mid 2000's.

'93 Lincoln County. Featured Mr. Football that year, Jeremy Simpson. They lost to a powerful CovCath team by a couple TD's.

Some folks would say the '90 Lincoln team that lost to Ashland in the state finals was better than the '93 team. And others around Lincoln County say the '88 team that lost in the state semifinals to Paducah Tilghman was best of the three.

Highlands 1997. Finished season 11 - 2 I believe. Still ranked 24th in USA TODAY final poll.

Lost to the Ohio D1 runners up by 1pt and 3a state champs in double or triple overtime. Lindeman stays healthy all year they would have been state champs.

Two Danville teams come to mind. 1986 Ads with Jimmy Baughman and Keith Morgan along with a talented Junior class that would win AA the next year. I could add the '77 Chris Jones team. Beat HHS (who won AAA) but lost to Shelby County on a blocked punt I believe.

Highlands 1997. Finished season 11 - 2 I believe. Still ranked 24th in USA TODAY final poll.

The Mud bowl year I believe with Cov. Cath. Study rain showers all day before the game. Highlands had their way with CCH in the first half but some halftime adjustments and a couple Highlands turnovers resulted in a double OT loss.

Some folks would say the '90 Lincoln team that lost to Ashland in the state finals was better than the '93 team. And others around Lincoln County say the '88 team that lost in the state semifinals to Paducah Tilghman was best of the three.

And, some older people (ahem) would say the 1981 team that lost to Highlands in the Region was better than the 1988 team........

Lost to the Ohio D1 runners up by 1pt and 3a state champs in double or triple overtime. Lindeman stays healthy all year they would have been state champs.

Wasn't he a defensive player? A defensive player would have been the difference?

And, some older people (ahem) would say the 1981 team that lost to Highlands in the Region was better than the 1988 team........

I would say it's close but '88 was the best Lincoln County team that I saw. Their line was very, very strong. Penman was a steady RB and their defense played solid. The '81 team had a perfect blend of inside running and speed with a great leader at QB. Line was good but not as large as the '88 team. I think if not for the wind playing such a factor in the PT Semi-Final game, it would have been a possible trip to L'ville for the Pats in '88.