Best team in the old Class 3A to not win the State Champoinship?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defiantly Lawrence county of the day. Should have won it in 97 and here's the team video on YouTube from 99. IMO one for the great team in East Kentucky. This team was loaded with talent

I had forgotten they were AAA in the late 90's. Yes, they were very good and had to face a formidable foe in the playoffs.

Defiantly Lawrence county of the day. Should have won it in 97 and here's the team video on YouTube from 99. IMO one for the great team in East Kentucky. This team was loaded with talent

You are kidding right, that they should have won in '97?

Pinner was their only offense. Not sure what he means by "controversial". They were stopped well short of the goal line and the clock ran out.

CCH and HHS were hands down the two best teams that year.

I think his reference to "controversy" was how Hopkinsville made the deep run but ultimately was determined to be with an illegal player. If Pinner doesn't play that year things in AAA-West might have looked somewhat different.

Lawrence County was AA in 1997. They lost 14-0 in the mud at Bourbon County in the state semifinals.

The 1988 and 1989 Woodford County teams that finished with identical 11-2 records under head coach Dan Cassity. In '88 the Jackets lost a heartbreaking regular season game to Lincoln County in Stanford that determined homefield advantage in the postseason. The Patriots won the playoff match-up rather easily.

The 1989 Jackets had an even more heartbreaking end to their season. The only blemishes was a 21-20 loss in the rain and mud at Ashland after a controversial missed extra point. The other came in a 20-14 loss in the Region finacls against East Hardin on the road. The Jackets had three TD's called back due to penalties including the second half kickoff.

Lawrence County was AA in 1997. They lost 14-0 in the mud at Bourbon County in the state semifinals.

That was actually 2A.

Bourbon went on their magical run after fisnishing 2-8 the year before, and either 3rd or 4th in their district that year.

Lawrence had just snapped Breathitt County's 42 game win streak the week before.

Man...seems like yesterday, huh?

Some folks would say the '90 Lincoln team that lost to Ashland in the state finals was better than the '93 team. And others around Lincoln County say the '88 team that lost in the state semifinals to Paducah Tilghman was best of the three.

I'd agree with that. The 93 team was literally just guts and glory. 90 and 88 were far and away the more talented of the 3, no doubt about it.

That was actually 2A.

Bourbon went on their magical run after fisnishing 2-8 the year before, and either 3rd or 4th in their district that year.

Lawrence had just snapped Breathitt County's 42 game win streak the week before.

Man...seems like yesterday, huh?

Harry, I said in the quote it was AA. :lol2:

Edited by gchs_uk9

Apologies for not having the '92 regular season score completely correct. However, I'll still maintain that the Highlands win in the playoffs that year was an upset. Hats off to the Birds for game planning and finding a way. That was a heck of a CCH team that they beat - I still believe the best the school has ever fielded. In the context of "best teams to not win a title", the '90 CCH team was darn good, but not as deep as the '92 team.

'92 Cov Cath and a few years for Lincoln County that I can't remember. I can remember my grandpa being very surprised that LC didn't win state a couple of times in the 80s. He lived in the Hustonville/Moreland area a long time ago before moving to Bellevue, which was just before I was born.