Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Feeder School Rules and Transfer Question

Featured Replies

Is a player eligible to play freshman ball if they enroll at a school that is not one of their high schools feeder schools and they did not have a change of address?

 

 

I know there are some new rules that affect middle school athletics and they go into effect this year, but I am not real familiar with them.

Is a player eligible to play freshman ball if they enroll at a school that is not one of their high schools feeder schools and they did not have a change of address? I know there are some new rules that affect middle school athletics and they go into effect this year' date=' but I am not real familiar with them.[/quote']

 

Unless I missed it, he would be eligible.

  • Author
Unless I missed it, he would be eligible.

Ok thanks. I looked but it wasn't very clear when they spoke of feeder schools.

Ok thanks. I looked but it wasn't very clear when they spoke of feeder schools.

 

I think some districts have agreements between the publics and privates about situations like these, so it might be a deal where there is no KHSAA rule, but maybe there is a district one.

Is a player eligible to play freshman ball if they enroll at a school that is not one of their high schools feeder schools and they did not have a change of address?

 

 

I know there are some new rules that affect middle school athletics and they go into effect this year, but I am not real familiar with them.

 

If you're talking about a kid being in EIGHTH grade and wanting to 'play-up' to a HS Frosh team, I'm almost positive he/she has to be in a middle school that's considered a "feeder" to that HS.

If you're talking about a kid being in EIGHTH grade and wanting to 'play-up' to a HS Frosh team, I'm almost positive he/she has to be in a middle school that's considered a "feeder" to that HS.

 

Not sure about other school district, but with Fayette Co you sure can. A student- athlete can go to a school that is not a feeder from middle to HS. ie ( Tates Creek can enroll at Lafayette ) for their engineering or band specialty. As far as public middle school to a private HS or vice versa, they can play freshman and JV only. It's a public/ private agreement here in Fayette Co. which make no sense. Let they pick which HS to attend. Why punish a student- athlete by attending a school.

What?? There are actually transfer rules in KY? When did these go into effect?

Not sure about other school district, but with Fayette Co you sure can. A student- athlete can go to a school that is not a feeder from middle to HS. ie ( Tates Creek can enroll at Lafayette ) for their engineering or band specialty. As far as public middle school to a private HS or vice versa, they can play freshman and JV only. It's a public/ private agreement here in Fayette Co. which make no sense. Let they pick which HS to attend. Why punish a student- athlete by attending a school.

 

 

Here's the actual agreement itself and what you can and can't do:

 

FCPS & LCA Athletics Agreement - Lexington Catholic, Lexington Kentucky

I thought the KHSAA rule across the board state wide was, that if you participated in Varsity sports (ie: not Frosh or JV) at a High School as an 8th grader (or lower I presume?) and you decide to attend a different High School your Frosh year- that you were ineligible to play in that sport for a full year.

That might be the rule but I believe you can't play varsity football (or soccer) until you are a Frosh

That might be the rule but I believe you can't play varsity football (or soccer) until you are a Frosh

 

How long ago did that change? Just the first example that jumps to my mind is Dennis Johnson who was playing Varsity for Harrodsburg in the 7th grade. Or that was the legend anyway.

How long ago did that change? Just the first example that jumps to my mind is Dennis Johnson who was playing Varsity for Harrodsburg in the 7th grade. Or that was the legend anyway.

I think that rule was put in place in the mid 80's, maybe around '86 or so.

I thought the KHSAA rule across the board state wide was, that if you participated in Varsity sports (ie: not Frosh or JV) at a High School as an 8th grader (or lower I presume?) and you decide to attend a different High School your Frosh year- that you were ineligible to play in that sport for a full year.

 

 

I know they have considered this in the past but I do not recall it passing.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.