April 18, 201412 yr I agree to a certain extent, but if reasonable salaries are offered in the D-League, I think college ball will miss out on even the second tier talent. More kids will opt for pro than before the age limit was initially set. Given the limited window in which a guy's body is physically capable of making money playing basketball, I have no problem with that, especially if an expansion of the D-League makes more opportunities available. You can always go back to college; not many guys can play basketball much past 30.
April 18, 201412 yr If you're opposed to this because you're worried that UofL or UK might not get the next Kobe Bryant to entertain you for compensation exceedingly under his market value, you need to take a long, hard look in the mirror. I love college basketball and football, but there's no way around the fact that the players at the top of the system are being used by the universities and sports media. The guys getting the most out of college ball are players like Gorgui Dieng or Elvis Dumervil, guys who would have been under the radar to their respective potential employers but received training and exposure that allowed them to make it, and then the guys who fill out the rosters but aren't pro prospects benefit to a much lesser degree--depending on what their degree is actually worth coming out of a football factory or what kind of car dealership gig they can wrangle out of their local fame. The One and Done basketball players are at the forefront of our minds on this topic, but the football players have it much worse, IMO, as they do currently operate under an age limit (which actually makes sense for more than just a collective bargaining item to protect veterans in players' unions) but have an even smaller average window to benefit from their athletic talents.
April 18, 201412 yr If you're opposed to this because you're worried that UofL or UK might not get the next Kobe Bryant to entertain you for compensation exceedingly under his market value, you need to take a long, hard look in the mirror. I love college basketball and football, but there's no way around the fact that the players at the top of the system are being used by the universities and sports media. The guys getting the most out of college ball are players like Gorgui Dieng or Elvis Dumervil, guys who would have been under the radar to their respective potential employers but received training and exposure that allowed them to make it, and then the guys who fill out the rosters but aren't pro prospects benefit to a much lesser degree--depending on what their degree is actually worth coming out of a football factory or what kind of car dealership gig they can wrangle out of their local fame. The One and Done basketball players are at the forefront of our minds on this topic, but the football players have it much worse, IMO, as they do currently operate under an age limit (which actually makes sense for more than just a collective bargaining item to protect veterans in players' unions) but have an even smaller average window to benefit from their athletic talents. Though it may look like I'm opposed to expansion of the D-League, I'm actually in favor of it. I'm simply pointing out what it could do to college basketball, of which I have no problem with. I would much prefer watching and supporting student athletes, instead of college athletics being a free minor league system for the pros.
April 18, 201412 yr I believe a 3 year college requirement would have much more impact on players choosing college than a 2 year rule would.
April 18, 201412 yr It seems like it would make recruiting a lot tougher. What if you recruit 3 or 4 players, and at the last moment they get signed to the D League.
April 18, 201412 yr It seems like it would make recruiting a lot tougher. What if you recruit 3 or 4 players, and at the last moment they get signed to the D League. It's tough. Plenty of guys got burned by that before the one-year rule. I'll never forget the awful result of the Pitino/Telfair courtship for as long as I live.
April 18, 201412 yr It seems like it would make recruiting a lot tougher. What if you recruit 3 or 4 players, and at the last moment they get signed to the D League. Happens in baseball all of the time.
April 18, 201412 yr I'll never forget the awful result of the Pitino/Telfair courtship for as long as I live. Rondo would have been a Cardinal if not for that fiasco...
April 18, 201412 yr Rondo would have been a Cardinal if not for that fiasco... And 2005-06 wouldn't have been such an unmitigated disaster.
April 18, 201412 yr Rondo would have been a Cardinal if not for that fiasco... But would Louisville have made the Final Four if we replace some of Larry O'Bannon's minutes with Rondo his freshman year?
April 18, 201412 yr Rondo would have been a Cardinal if not for that fiasco... Pitino lives him those New York guys though... glad it ended the way it did :walk:
April 18, 201412 yr I highly doubt this has any impact on the college game. Will a few go this route? Maybe, but guys aren't building a brand playing in Souix City with no TV coverage and living off 50K when they will have to pay for all living expenses. Most, if not all, will still go the college route...
April 18, 201412 yr I think it depends on how the NBA plays it, and how smart the player's association is (when that gets reincarnated, considering the owners murdered it in the last round.)
April 18, 201412 yr I highly doubt this has any impact on the college game. Will a few go this route? Maybe, but guys aren't building a brand playing in Souix City with no TV coverage and living off 50K when they will have to pay for all living expenses. Most, if not all, will still go the college route... That's the whole point, though. The NBA is looking to increase the salaries and obtain TV better coverage for the D-League. I'm no expert, but if NBA is planning on investing more money in the D-League, my guess is they will encourage more prospects to sign and play there. They can also make it clear that's where they will be looking, regardless of TV coverage. It's all going to depend on how much the NBA increases pay and how much they "recruit", should this all go down.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.