Sweet 16 Attendance?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much more does it add to the cost to rent out Rupp for just one game on a Sunday? Championship game was probably hurt with UK playing in the same time frame. I honestly think attendance is different if UK is a one seed, instead of an 8 etc, maybe I'm going out on a limb but I think that's part of the problem. The Boys Sweet 16 makes more money then all the other sports State Tourneys combined(as of a few years ago) But I think they've become money hungry in a way, and it's killing the product.

I thought the Sunday game had the best crowd of the week. If not it was close. Very good turnout on Sunday.

My brother in law. a high school basketball coach mentioned to me that the schools are making it harder for non-participating coaches to appear. Where once it was a professional courtesy now requires personal days to attend.

First things first ... was attendance down this year?

This from Bob White's championship game story in the Courier-Journal online:

"Sunday's attendance of 14,165 brought the Sweet 16's eight-session total to 101,68l2. That's lower than the 105,766 who saw the 2012 tourney and the 106,766 who attended last year."

That's an average of 12,700 per session. Fantastic by any other state's numbers...even if down a bit in the Commonwealth.

This from Bob White's championship game story in the Courier-Journal online:

"Sunday's attendance of 14,165 brought the Sweet 16's eight-session total to 101,68l2. That's lower than the 105,766 who saw the 2012 tourney and the 106,766 who attended last year."

That's an average of 12,700 per session. Fantastic by any other state's numbers...even if down a bit in the Commonwealth.

Based on those numbers, I will say that the decreased attendance can almost completely be attributed to the redbook issue. I believe there was a big drop in attendance by coaches due to the redbook rules and those coaches bring along a lot of other attendees.

Based on those numbers, I will say that the decreased attendance can almost completely be attributed to the redbook issue. I believe there was a big drop in attendance by coaches due to the redbook rules and those coaches bring along a lot of other attendees.

Can that or should that be fixed?

I don't like the Sundays game at all,it's another day of expenses that most people cant afford! Plus most people use Sunday to travel back home and by having a Sunday afternoon game those people can't get back home to go to work on Mondays. Just not worth the extra expense to go to the Sunday game! I didn't make the sweet 16 this year mainly because I couldn't see the championship game so I didn't bother going and listened to it on the radio,and I had been the last 17 years!

Amen!!

The way it is setup now is perfect for people like me who live 40 minutes away and wants to attend every game. The turnover from Friday night to Saturday morning to Saturday evening for the championship game is exhausting and unnecessary for a fan let alone the players. I hope they keep the Sunday game but regardless of what days the Sweet 16 is on it won't stop me from attending. Being there for the games is more important to me than what day it is on. I'll always be there.

What day it is on SHOULD matter to you!!

The way it is setup now is perfect for people like me who live 40 minutes away and wants to attend every game. The turnover from Friday night to Saturday morning to Saturday evening for the championship game is exhausting and unnecessary for a fan let alone the players. I hope they keep the Sunday game but regardless of what days the Sweet 16 is on it won't stop me from attending. Being there for the games is more important to me than what day it is on. I'll always be there.

Would you feel the same way if it was played in Ashland or Paduach?

I'm not saying this hurts attendance but it irks me...they also continue to credential every small town newspaper and radio station in the state and shut out internet reporters. Many, many high school fans go to the Internet these days.

I'm not saying this hurts attendance but it irks me...they also continue to credential every small town newspaper and radio station in the state and shut out internet reporters. Many, many high school fans go to the Internet these days.

They don't shut out all internet reporters.