Sweet 16 Attendance?

The official attendance for the final was 14,165. Let's be honest, that's a phenomenal turnout for a Sunday afternoon with Kentucky playing in the NCAA tournament at essentially the same time.

I do agree that the switch to Sunday won't be around long despite the fact that the last two finals have produced dramatic games.

DAVE

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scheduling the state finals on a Sunday?? Come on, let's leave one day out of the week for the LORD and the kids to go to church!!

The game is at 2:00 on a Sunday. Anyone who doesn't go to church that Sunday is using it as a excuse. Plenty of opportunity for everyone to attend church and come to the game.

I like the old format better. Quicker turnaround yes, but quicker wrap up as well. I enjoyed having the final at night time, and I feel like the quality of play doesn't suffer.

I am with you,,,it worked ok for 50 plus years......

I don't know how many games the Saturday day/night doubleheader affected, but it certainly hurt Mason County in 2004.

Mason County was in a dog fight in the semi-finals (with either Trinity or Scott County). The game went into multiple OT's, then Mason Co. had to turn around & play Warren Central later that night. I don't know what would've happened if the game was Sunday morning, but Warren Central was way too much for Mason that night.

I like the idea of a Saturday night final because it's more likely to draw a big crowd. I just don't like forcing teams to play two games in the same day...for the first time all year.

I don't know how many games the Saturday day/night doubleheader affected, but it certainly hurt Mason County in 2004.

Mason County was in a dog fight in the semi-finals (with either Trinity or Scott County). The game went into multiple OT's, then Mason Co. had to turn around & play Warren Central later that night. I don't know what would've happened if the game was Sunday morning, but Warren Central was way too much for Mason that night.

I like the idea of a Saturday night final because it's more likely to draw a big crowd. I just don't like forcing teams to play two games in the same day...for the first time all year.

Warren Central PLAYED A FULL GAME AFTER MASON COUNTY. Please do not get into this.

One of the Ten Commandments is that the seventh day (or Sunday, as we observe it) is to be a day of rest, not of work. I appreciate those who do their best to honor that.

amen again.

play it Tuesday through Saturday then!

Tuesday though Saturday would be the best,that way if someone takes a weeks vacation they would have the travel time to get to the games and back home to go to work on Monday morning. Plus you would not have semifinals and finals in one day which does make both teams fresher for the finals! The Saturday night championship game has the best feeling and makes it a special event! The greatest show in hoops! I just didn't feel the same atmosphere for the Sunday game and felt it wasn't as important!

Although I'm very religious, I have no issue with the state final being held on a Sunday, I would be less likely to attend though. But not having the final the same day as the final four is the best thing for the players! I would like to see both finest to have a day to rest so they could be at their best for the championship game. Another good example is one of the finalist may be weaker and or smaller, it's a big deal for them to have a day to rest, but we owe it to both teams for what is the most important game so far on their lives.

Also, in the past someone got on me for saying I was very religious but have no issue with people doing things on a Sunday. I asked them "what do you do on Sundays? Do you sit home and relax all day or do you sit and watch people (work, play a sport) on TV? Do you go out to eat? Or anything else and force someone else to work for you that day? If you watch any sport on a Sunday are you not condoning people working for your enjoyment on this 'day of rest?'" They had no answer.....