Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Greenup 51 Lewis 49

Featured Replies

What calls do you feel went against Lewis County?

 

The 4th and 5th fouls against #40 were very questionable blocking fouls. The 4th was definitely a charge, the 5th was closer to being a toss up, but I thought it was a charge. A couple of other calls, or no-calls, that cshould have gone Lewis' way didn't help. All of these happened in the 4th quarter. Total fouls were 15 to 7 for the game in Greenup's favor. IMO,the refs played a huge part in the outcome of the game.

  • Replies 32
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hampton proves once again why he is one of the best. I heard he got a technical late in the game. For him to get that fired up at that stage...that call must have been rough.

I heard multiple reports of the same thing from sources there on both sides of the fence. Said "questionable" was an understatement.

Good job Coach Hicks on getting the victory. Low scoring game for a Jim Bob Hicks team.

Let's not diminish a great effort by both teams & coaches by implying that the refs cost Lewis Co the game...They did not...Block/charge is the hardest call in the game...I have my opinion on those calls as well...Tough calls...Whether I agreed with them or not, IMO they were not the difference...I don't remember a charge call all night so from that standpoint, at least they were consistent...

 

Both teams played extremely hard...Lewis couldn't hardly buy a basket in the first half...They also had some unforced turnovers and still hung around 6-10 points down most of the game...They played good defense throughout that helped them stay close and give them a chance to win...

 

There are a lot of things that happen along the course of a 32 min game that can determine who wins...Obviously, Lewis could have done some things better throughout the game that would make the "appearance" of the block/charge calls determining the outcome a moot point...I'm also sure that Greenup feels they played well below their potential last night & had they played as expected by most, we wouldn't be mentioning those calls...But, because we are in a tight game, let's blame the refs because it takes all the responsibilty for what happened up to that point off of "us"...

 

I've worn the stripes and called at the varsity level so I know how tough it is...As hard as you try, and I know those guys tried their hardest FOR THE KIDS last night, you will not get every call right...The last thing any of those guys wants is to feel like they were factor in the outcome of the game...As a coach at the high school level, I do not always agree with their calls and I consider many of them friends of mine...There is one thing that I won't allow my players to do & that is blame the refs if we lose...There have been many occassions where it would be easy to do so but I always point out the things along the course of the game that we could have done to not be in that situation...I/we take the ultimate responsibility...

 

I have no doubt that Coach Hampton feels the same way looking back on last night's game...I'd bet that he probably told his kids that he could have done a better job during the game to help them win even though he never missed a shot, made a turnover, or committed a foul...That's what good coaches do...

  • Author
Let's not diminish a great effort by both teams & coaches by implying that the refs cost Lewis Co the game...They did not...Block/charge is the hardest call in the game...I have my opinion on those calls as well...Tough calls...Whether I agreed with them or not, IMO they were not the difference...I don't remember a charge call all night so from that standpoint, at least they were consistent...

 

Both teams played extremely hard...Lewis couldn't hardly buy a basket in the first half...They also had some unforced turnovers and still hung around 6-10 points down most of the game...They played good defense throughout that helped them stay close and give them a chance to win...

 

There are a lot of things that happen along the course of a 32 min game that can determine who wins...Obviously, Lewis could have done some things better throughout the game that would make the "appearance" of the block/charge calls determining the outcome a moot point...I'm also sure that Greenup feels they played well below their potential last night & had they played as expected by most, we wouldn't be mentioning those calls...But, because we are in a tight game, let's blame the refs because it takes all the responsibilty for what happened up to that point off of "us"...

 

I've worn the stripes and called at the varsity level so I know how tough it is...As hard as you try, and I know those guys tried their hardest FOR THE KIDS last night, you will not get every call right...The last thing any of those guys wants is to feel like they were factor in the outcome of the game...As a coach at the high school level, I do not always agree with their calls and I consider many of them friends of mine...There is one thing that I won't allow my players to do & that is blame the refs if we lose...There have been many occassions where it would be easy to do so but I always point out the things along the course of the game that we could have done to not be in that situation...I/we take the ultimate responsibility...

 

I have no doubt that Coach Hampton feels the same way looking back on last night's game...I'd bet that he probably told his kids that he could have done a better job during the game to help them win even though he never missed a shot, made a turnover, or committed a foul...That's what good coaches do...

You are definitely in the minority devil58. All three block-charge calls or non-calls were huge in the game. A good official can usually get those right. I watched the final play on WSAZ and it was definitely a charge. The "they tried their hardest" is admirable but get the calls right and dont let your emotions make the calls.

Lewis deserved better.

TV Camera's sometime speak volumes.

I wasn't at the game, nor have I seen film of the calls. I have no doubt that one, two, or perhaps even all three calls may have been wrong. I'd be willing to bet that if you dissected the game film, over the course of all four quarters, you could probably find other calls that might have gone differently - for both teams.

 

 

In light of that, I still have to agree with Devil58. The whole idea that "the refs cost us the game" is taking the easy way out. That goes for players, coaches, parents, and fans. The bottom line is that officials do impact the outcome of games - EVERY game. The reality however, is that their impact on the outcome of a game is extremely minimal, compared to the actions of the players on the floor and the coaches on the sideline.

 

I'm with Devil58 on this one.

 

Frances

WTG Greenup

Refs rarely cost one team a game. There are usually many factors and last night was no exception. The early lack of scoring and turnovers put Lewis County in a hole. That being said, the Lions were up 46-44 when the first block was called on McDaniels. At this point of the fourth quarter, Lewis definitely had the momentum and Greenup was reeling. The kid held his ground on the block practically from the time the Greenup player crossed half court. It wasn't even close. If the ref makes the correct call right there, it's Lewis' ball with the lead. The second block was McDaniels' fifth foul. The kid had made several big baskets for the Lions down the stretch. To lose a starter and a player who has come up big so far hurts any team.

 

On the technical, I didn't see the preceeding play, but a Greenup guy told me the Lewis guard was mugged on the sideline, right in front of Hampton and the official called it out on Lewis. These instances don't even take into account the non-call on Greenup's last shot when it certainly appeared the Musketeer player charged into the defender.

 

Devil58, to say that these questionable calls had no effect on the outcome of the contest is naive at best. I understand your desire to protect your fellow zebras, but last night definitely showed the guys in stripes can, and sometimes do, effect the results of games.

We haven't even mentioned the tip in at the buzzer at the end of the 3rd Quarter for Greenup. That one was debateable as well. Personally I thought it came after the horn, but it was close. But it went GC's way also.

I can't speak for Devil58, but the point I think he and I are trying to make isn't that those calls didn't effect the outcome of the game, only that they were a small piece of the total picture. Because of the time in the game that they occurred, they appear to take on a larger role in the outcome of the game.

 

Again, I'm not saying that Lewis didn't get the short end of the stick - only that we can't lay the loss squarely and solely at the feet of the officials. Not just for this game in particular, but for all games.

 

Frances

  • Author

There were several calls THROUGHOUT the game that could have gone either way. Just seemed Lewis never got any of them.

Both teams played hard and it was very entertaining to watch.

Keep your heads up, Lewis. You guys are great people.

I was at this game...VERY poorly officiated game. Lewis Co could not buy a call. I am not a GC or LC fan, just was at this particular game. Sorry Lewis Co...you guys got ripped off. :madman:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.