Barbee out at Auburn

LOOGY

Auburn ends a lot of coaching careers. Not sure why anybody would want to go there. Will pay some money but you cant win there. Another SEC school that only cares about Football but expects basketball team to win at high level without any committment. How many coaches have they gone through in last 15 years.

How many coaches have they gone through in last 15 years.

Not as many as you might think. Sonny Smith was there from 1978-89, Tommy Joe Eagles from 1989-94, Cliff Ellis from 1994-2004, Jeff Lebo from 2004-10, and now Barbee. Smith, Ellis, and Lebo (barely) had winning records but none had a winning percentage higher than .456 (Ellis) in SEC play.

If I was Auburn, I'd throw everything I had at Donnie Tyndall.

Speculation on Twitter last night seemed to indicate he was on the short list. But if I'm Tyndall, with all the success he's had at Morehead and Southern Miss, do you maybe stand pat for a year or two and wait for an Alabama or Ole Miss to open up, two spots that have shown more favor toward basketball than has Auburn over the years?

Speculation on Twitter last night seemed to indicate he was on the short list. But if I'm Tyndall, with all the success he's had at Morehead and Southern Miss, do you maybe stand pat for a year or two and wait for an Alabama or Ole Miss to open up, two spots that have shown more favor toward basketball than has Auburn over the years?

I don't know if he would take the Auburn job or not but I'm just saying if I was Auburn I'd give every effort to get him.

This from a guy who touts himself as an "award winning journalist" and goes by the name "bigstallion":

@biggstallion · 9h

According to sources, Southern Miss head basketball coach Donnie Tyndall will be named to the same post at Auburn in the next 72 hours...

I don't know if he would take the Auburn job or not but I'm just saying if I was Auburn I'd give every effort to get him.

Gotcha. Yes, that would be a smart move. Anyone know what Barbee made or what his severance pay might be? You wonder how much Auburn is willing to spend?

Auburn will spend on the salary. But what are their committments to facilities and support. What does Auburn have to offer a kid to come and play basketball there. Auburn or Alabama cant keep their best in state players home. Should tell you all you need to know.