Who is the POY in the 14th and explain why?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyler Rich of Lee County. He has been almost impossible to stop this year and has Lee County poised to make a deep run in the 14th.

Rich is a good one. Others are Morgan and Day from Leslie, Hicks from Hazard, Dixon from Estill, Amis from Perry. I think an award like this should go to teams that are contenders and have proven it throughout the year, and in the post season tournaments. A POY should be able to put his team on his shoulders and carry them. You don't necessarly have to win the region, but at least get there and be in position to do so.

As far as talent wise, Cody Gilbert has to top the list. When talking about helping the team the most, I would agree with Tyler Rich. But Hicks from Hazard is a good pick as well.

Cody is talented, no doubt about that. But the Wolves this year are like my Owls, they've not proven themselves on the hardwood. Of course, Cody isn't exactly surrounded by loads of talent either. I just wonder what he could have done this year if he had played for a team like Lee County or Estill County? Something to ponder. :sssh:

Gilbert is easily the player of the year, tied for the states leading scorer, and th on rebounding with numerous colleges looking at him. The Wolves haven't won as many games as they would have liked, but post season is a new season, with everyones record at 0-0. The kid averaged 30 and 12 a game. No player comapres to that in the 14th.

Rich is a good one. Others are Morgan and Day from Leslie, Hicks from Hazard, Dixon from Estill, Amis from Perry. I think an award like this should go to teams that are contenders and have proven it throughout the year, and in the post season tournaments. A POY should be able to put his team on his shoulders and carry them. You don't necessarly have to win the region, but at least get there and be in position to do so.

I sort of disagree a little Professor. While the POY should have leadership ability, I think that he could be on the worst team in the region but still be the best all around basketball player. I think the coaches that vote look for someone who plays hard on both ends of the court and possesses a complete game by ball handling, scoring, assists, defense, leadership, sportsmanship, seeing the floor, good decisions, etc. etc. I really don't know who best fills the bill this year. There is not as many stand out players as there have been in years past.

The Player of the Year from each region selected by the coaches association has to be a senior. He gets an automatic invitation to the Kentucky All-Stars tryouts.

I'm guessing it will be Gilbert. But Day and Morgan have a shot, too. They will probably split the votes though, being on the same team.

I sort of disagree a little Professor. While the POY should have leadership ability, I think that he could be on the worst team in the region but still be the best all around basketball player. I think the coaches that vote look for someone who plays hard on both ends of the court and possesses a complete game by ball handling, scoring, assists, defense, leadership, sportsmanship, seeing the floor, good decisions, etc. etc. I really don't know who best fills the bill this year. There is not as many stand out players as there have been in years past.

You are correct, but usually if someone plays on a successful team, it usually gives them an advantage.

Gilbert is probably the most talented player in the region. Think how much more stronger teams like Leslie, Hazard, Perry, and others would be with the addition of him to their lineup. He would be the X factor and difference in a clear road to the state tournament imo. He has played hurt for quite a bit of his career. Last year he was injured several times, and the same has happened this year. I hope he finishes his career with a bang. The kid deserves it.

You are correct, but usually if someone plays on a successful team, it usually gives them an advantage.

Gilbert is probably the most talented player in the region. Think how much more stronger teams like Leslie, Hazard, Perry, and others would be with the addition of him to their lineup. He would be the X factor and difference in a clear road to the state tournament imo. He has played hurt for quite a bit of his career. Last year he was injured several times, and the same has happened this year. I hope he finishes his career with a bang. The kid deserves it.

Ha, I would like to say I agree but...... he plays Breathitt tonight!!! All things considered, I think he is the most talented in the region also.

POY will depend on how the postseason goes. If lee wins, I think Rich & Wright will both be poy & coy. If hazard wins, Hicks will be poy & spurlock may edge wright. If leslie wins, i think morgan & day will split some votes & rich or hicks could get it. It should be exciting to watch!!!!