December 17, 201312 yr This article in Steelersdepot.com shows the slo-mo and outlines why the author thinks it's gonna cost him. Makes sense to me. Huber even accelerates into the hit as he it trying to close on Brown. And like I said in the thread, while I think it's gonna be a fine too, the punter has to become a football player when he's closing in on making a play that doesn't include kickin' the darn thing. I hate it for him, it's a brutal lick. What The NFL Rulebook Says About The Hit By Terence Garvin On Kevin Huber | Steelers Depot
December 17, 201312 yr Should have been 15 yards and nullified the TD. No place in sports for a malicious hit like that...
December 17, 201312 yr Should have been 15 yards and nullified the TD. No place in sports for a malicious hit like that... It's essentially the same hit that Hines put on Keith Rivers.
December 17, 201312 yr Author There's no question it's going to be a big fine. Helmet to the chin. Should have been 15 yards and nullified the TD. No place in sports for a malicious hit like that...Agreed.
December 17, 201312 yr Author It's essentially the same hit that Hines put on Keith Rivers. Except that Hines was cracking back on the play from downfield. While I agree the hit was the same, had this not been the punter this wouldn't be nearly as big a deal, IMO.
December 17, 201312 yr @MikePereira Former Vice President of Officiating in the National Football League. Current Rules Analyst at FOX Sports. Referee of Twitters 18th officiating crew Mike Pereira @MikePereira He can be blocked - he just can't be hit high. Mike Pereira @MikePereira Just said it on @FFD, punter is defenseless entire play - you cant go to head or neck area. I expect a big fine for the PIT defender Garvin
December 17, 201312 yr Author I kind of agree with that, but then again, every now and again the punter will lay the wood on the returner on the sideline. I know that they usually give up some serious tonage in the collisions. Again, I hate it, but if you're gonna be a playmaker to whatever end, you have to be able to expect the contact. If that's the rule, I think punters for their own safety should kick it and trot off the field, otherwise be prepared if you enter the fray. The shot was definitely high, and he could have been blocked all the same with extended hands.
December 17, 201312 yr Wasn't the kicker the Bengals had in the preseason someone who was both a punter and a kicker? I wonder if they are going to give him a call?
December 17, 201312 yr If punter is defenseless the entire play he should have to exit the field as soon as the ball leaves his foot.
December 17, 201312 yr @MikePereira Former Vice President of Officiating in the National Football League. Current Rules Analyst at FOX Sports. Referee of Twitters 18th officiating crew Mike Pereira @MikePereira He can be blocked - he just can't be hit high. Mike Pereira @MikePereira Just said it on @FFD, punter is defenseless entire play - you cant go to head or neck area. I expect a big fine for the PIT defender Garvin Video of Pereira talking about it.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.