Frosh Championship Game - Ryle v. Cov Cath (Friday 11-1 7pm)

BigDP

Last year the championship game had to be played because Beechwood and Ryle didn't play in the regular season. This year, that was not the case. Ryle won CONVINCINGLY just 2 weeks ago. Why should they play again?

I don't know the history of Frosh Championship games in N Ky., so I have no idea if this is an unprecedented decision or not - just seems odd that no one from the Ryle Frosh staff ever reached out to the CCH staff to discuss before announcing this decision. A message board seems like a strange place to do so.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know the history of Frosh Championship games in N Ky., so I have no idea if this is an unprecedented decision or not - just seems odd that no one from the Ryle Frosh staff ever reached out to the CCH staff to discuss before announcing this decision. A message board seems like a strange place to do so.

Why would you think it hasn't already been talked about? Unless you're on the CCH or Ryle staff how would you know?

WOW!!!! Their are 8 other teams that would love to have earned the right to play in this Championship Game and to just chose not to play it because you might actually lose or claim you have nothing left to prove is really a bunch of BS! Quite disappointed in the supposed best Freshman team in NKy. Terrible shame when the rules can be bent so easily! :no: So very glad we are on to wrestling season!!!!!!!:thumb:

This makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE AT ALL!!!!

Was this agreed upon with the CCH coaching staff prior to the game that the regular season game was a winner take all? I can't believe you can just say 'we don't want to play anymore'. I guess, had CCH won the regular season game you would have taken the same stance? So much for CCH not wanting to show 'to much' of their playbook against Ryle in preparation for the Championship Game.

To bad the Patriots didn't use this philosophy in 2007, they could have told everyone they had an undefeated season and defeated the Giants in the regular season, therefore, we are refusing to play in the Super Bowl, 'we have nothing more to prove'.

Maybe Ryle wanted to play on a double header CCH vs HHS JV followed by CCH vs Ryle Frosh but since CCH cancelled the JV game then there is no frosh game lol

Just stirring the pot a bit

I had heard last night that CCH was prepared to move on without playing the championship game with some of their key players moving to basketball season. Either way, the notion that CCH did not show Ryle everything in the the game 2 weeks ago seems kind of absurd. It was a hard fought game and Ryle came out on top. Why is it so important for people that there be a freshman championship game, anyway? This is not the NFL, the CCH will have the next 3 years for revenge against Ryle. It should be fun to watch.

I had heard last night that CCH was prepared to move on without playing the championship game with some of their key players moving to basketball season. Either way, the notion that CCH did not show Ryle everything in the the game 2 weeks ago seems kind of absurd. It was a hard fought game and Ryle came out on top. Why is it so important for people that there be a freshman championship game, anyway? This is not the NFL, the CCH will have the next 3 years for revenge against Ryle. It should be fun to watch.

Actually, and I have no dog in the fight, but to answer your question about why it's improtant to have a Frosh championship game etc. Well it's important for the kids. That is why it's important in my mind.

The kids played and practiced as hard as the varsity and JV players have allyear and to not get a chance to play in the championship game is kind of a slap in the face for their hard work if you ask me. Maybe the coaches don't see it that way, and it sounds like the coaches who made this decision really don't care as much as they claim they do. It's sad that the kids have this taken away from them, and to say it's so they can move up to JV and Varsity to get ready for the playoffs is a cop out if you ask me. It was 1 game, it would all be over next week and then they can move up with the Varsity and prepare for the playoffs with the rest of the team.

I think it's weak and wonder why they plaed the games int he first place? If it was to get ready for Varsity, well Ryle has proved already that the Frosh teams seem to be better than the Varsity anyway, so what are they getting preparing for? To Lose?

Dude- your just wrong. A lot of CCH supporters (incl myself) wrote on that ridiculous 13 page thread that they didn't like the decision on the JV stuff, but also didn't have any direct knowledge as to why. It was the 5 to 6 regular HHS posters who droned on and on about it. Just because a thread turns into 13 pages without the answer your looking for doesn't mean nothing was said from the CCH side.

Why is what is going on here any different? One team is choosing not to play the other. Do not buy the whole we beat you so we win deal. Always been my understanding that the best 2 teams are to play a game in week 10 to determine a champion. Regular season is nothing more than a chase to be one of the 2 best at the end of the day.

I think right here is why we see programs like Highlands separating themselves from the pack. Ryle kids have an opportunity to play another competitive game against a good opponent and choose not to play. All while HHS, who had a mediocre year by their standards, found a willing opponent to give their kids another week of football. I am sure some of them will even see action in the last JV game next Saturday against Scott County.

Too much worry about winning and losing at the lower levels and not enough about getting kids the desire and direction to become good football players.

I am 100% confident you are wrong with this statement. The Championship Game has always been on the CCH schedule and soemthing that the boys have been pointing to all year.

Is that because that's the only football championship CCH has a chance at winning?

Insert smiley and dancing banana. LOL

Edited by NamecipS

B-I-N-G-O

This is avoided if both coaching staffs effectively communicate and exercise some foresight prior to the regular season matchup. If the coaches and kids new going into the regular season game this would be the championship, so be it and the matter is closed.

It appears that wasn't the case and who suffers are the kids. They deserve closure on the season. Sounds like Ryle moved the cheese. CCH staff should continue to practice, dress, and appear to play next Wednesday. If Ryle doesn't show up, congrats on a forfeited championship. If I had a horse in the race I would email Coach Warner as well who I'd like to think would appreciate the value of playing for a championship considering the kids were not told that the regular season meeting would be their last.

And has this been the protocol in the past? Think how much fun this thread would be if Highlands was in Ryles place :thumb:. Have a good day and enjoys this evenings games!

Actually, and I have no dog in the fight, but to answer your question about why it's improtant to have a Frosh championship game etc. Well it's important for the kids. That is why it's important in my mind.

The kids played and practiced as hard as the varsity and JV players have allyear and to not get a chance to play in the championship game is kind of a slap in the face for their hard work if you ask me. Maybe the coaches don't see it that way, and it sounds like the coaches who made this decision really don't care as much as they claim they do. It's sad that the kids have this taken away from them, and to say it's so they can move up to JV and Varsity to get ready for the playoffs is a cop out if you ask me. It was 1 game, it would all be over next week and then they can move up with the Varsity and prepare for the playoffs with the rest of the team.

I think it's weak and wonder why they plaed the games int he first place? If it was to get ready for Varsity, well Ryle has proved already that the Frosh teams seem to be better than the Varsity anyway, so what are they getting preparing for? To Lose?

Well said. Ditto.

Why is what is going on here any different? One team is choosing not to play the other. Do not buy the whole we beat you so we win deal. Always been my understanding that the best 2 teams are to play a game in week 10 to determine a champion. Regular season is nothing more than a chase to be one of the 2 best at the end of the day.

I think right here is why we see programs like Highlands separating themselves from the pack. Ryle kids have an opportunity to play another competitive game against a good opponent and choose not to play. All while HHS, who had a mediocre year by their standards, found a willing opponent to give their kids another week of football. I am sure some of them will even see action in the last JV game next Saturday against Scott County.

Too much worry about winning and losing at the lower levels and not enough about getting kids the desire and direction to become good football players.

Bingo. Well said. :thumb:

I think I have heard it all now. Did someone really ask "why the Freshman Championship was important" Let's turn the question back around and say WHY NOT? This is about the players! It's on the schedule as a Championship Game. ITS A SCHEDULED GAME! I don't care if Ryle was undefeated this season. Teams get better with each game they play; which makes for an intense championship game. Do you realize how many teams would love to be practicing for the championship? Sorry but the season isn't over until AFTER the SCHEDULED Championship game. What about the players who busted their butt all season to get to the Championship Game? I ask WHY NOT play them!

I say we have a playoff game! Let's get the top 4 teams this season and have a playoff game. I guarantee the outcome will not be the same as it is now. Teams do get better, competition gets fierce. Then maybe the Championship Game can be played by 2 teams who are actually honored to be there.

I agree CCH should dress and practice until Championship Game day, this shows true sportsmanship! And in the mean time let's spread the word on every social media outlet and to every school in NKY. Let's have a huge fan base show up to support CCH on Championship Game day!