Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Some KY high school football coaches think there is too much practice but...

Featured Replies

they are concerned that speaking up could have several negative consequences.

 

I would like to hear your opinions on the following four questions:

 

1. Do coaches spend too much time with kids during the summer? Should players really be able to be coached and wear helmets every day in the summer other than dead period?

 

2. Does the amount of time that coaches spend with kids offer up more opportunity for athletes to get hurt?

 

3. With all the discussion of safety and concussions, why are we allowing coaches ten days of spring with no physical acclamation to contact?

 

4. Do KY high school players spend more time with their football coaches than college players? If the answer is yes, then why?

  • Replies 49
  • Views 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont they need to spend more time than college players? You have alot of kids in HS that have never played the game before that need to be trained how to do things properly. In college, they obviously know how to do this or they would not be playing at the next level.

HS Coaches spend as much time as allowed by KHSAA. New athletes to the game and typically coaches change how a young football player is accustomed to playing. Youth Coaches usually don't teach technique or terminology. Whole different ball game.

NCAA regulates the allowed time for practice and preparation. I'm sure if a College staff could spend as much time with the players as high school coaches they would certainly do it.

I actually think all the sports are too long, 12 months a year anymore. If your not in season then you are either practicing or conditioning. Kids today who play sports have no summer at all and no break.

A lot of families are affected to, not just the athletes and coaches. Many families can't take vacations etc because if their kid is playing baseball, basketball their high school coaches expect them to play summer ball and of course football is throughout the summer also so many families won't get a vacation until the player graduates.

I actually think all the sports are too long, 12 months a year anymore. If your not in season then you are either practicing or conditioning. Kids today who play sports have no summer at all and no break.

A lot of families are affected to, not just the athletes and coaches. Many families can't take vacations etc because if their kid is playing baseball, basketball their high school coaches expect them to play summer ball and of course football is throughout the summer also so many families won't get a vacation until the player graduates.

 

I would agree, however some (parents & players) don't mind especially if they (the player) want to get better. I say if you and your athlete are willing to go down this path more power to ya. You can look at has having "mini" vacations every weekend play summer ball and going out of town.

I actually think all the sports are too long, 12 months a year anymore. If your not in season then you are either practicing or conditioning. Kids today who play sports have no summer at all and no break.

A lot of families are affected to, not just the athletes and coaches. Many families can't take vacations etc because if their kid is playing baseball, basketball their high school coaches expect them to play summer ball and of course football is throughout the summer also so many families won't get a vacation until the player graduates.

 

Holy Crap! I actually agree with Hellbird 100% on something.

 

I hope it changes before my kids are high school age. I know friends' sons are doing something for football all but 4 weeks out of the year. 2 weeks after season and 2 week dead-period. Even when they are playing other sports, they are expected to atttend any football event/practice/weight training that does not conflict. At Beechwood this year, I discovered they added at 6:30 AM receivers practice before school. Hard to say you have a conflict with Baseball at 6:30 AM. Unfortunately, I fear it will get worse before its gets better. I saw on the news that Ryle does a Midnight Madness practice. While it might be a great tradition, is there really a benefit to that?

 

Coaches keep pushing the envelope to try and "out-work" the opponents. I wish some smart coach would try a softer approach that allows the kids to enjoy it more instead of resenting it. Yes, I said it. I believe that less time would result in greater productivity during the hours you do practice and likely more productivity and better results overall. I also belive that the excessive time has led to injuries due to the wear and tear and exhaustion.

 

On a directly selfish side, the State need to extend the Dead Period UP into June. Always have it start the 3rd Friday in June and have it go for 3 weeks including the 4th weekend. So always 24 days. This would allow families to truly enjoy summer and be able to take some family vacations. We have had to cancel our group vacation with friends because we can no longer coordinate it with those that have Football players.

I would agree, however some (parents & players) don't mind especially if they (the player) want to get better. I say if you and your athlete are willing to go down this path more power to ya. You can look at has having "mini" vacations every weekend play summer ball and going out of town.

 

And I would agree with you if it were actually a choice. It just isn't. There are definitely parents and kids who actually can't get enough of it and I applaud that. But for many (I would argue most) if they truly had the choice they would opt for more downtime. Downtime is where the mind and body repair themselves. It's amazing the difference a little off-time makes. Families need time together. In most cases, its best if that is away from sports. There are siblings involved. Should they be forced to have their vacations revolve around the older siblings sports? Unfortunately, even if there aren't mandatory events, there is peer-pressure and pressure from coaches to attend everything. I witnessed the pressure first-hand with coaches harassing kids about playing baseball.

I would agree, however some (parents & players) don't mind especially if they (the player) want to get better. I say if you and your athlete are willing to go down this path more power to ya. You can look at has having "mini" vacations every weekend play summer ball and going out of town.

 

I am a huge sports guy, football in particular but I agree that there is just too much required of HS athletes today. I personally think that the amount of time has hurt the numbers in Football. I realize that the intent was to "improve" the game and give more Ky Football players an opportunity to play in College. I am not sure it has been successful. The top 10% of programs may have improved their level of play, but overall I think the quality of HS football has diminished the past 15 years.

 

I think we should double the length of the dead period. Make it start June 15th and end July 15th. It would give families, coaches included a well deserved/needed break.

they are concerned that speaking up could have several negative consequences.

 

I would like to hear your opinions on the following four questions:

 

1. Do coaches spend too much time with kids during the summer? Should players really be able to be coached and wear helmets every day in the summer other than dead period?

 

2. Does the amount of time that coaches spend with kids offer up more opportunity for athletes to get hurt?

 

3. With all the discussion of safety and concussions, why are we allowing coaches ten days of spring with no physical acclamation to contact?

 

4. Do KY high school players spend more time with their football coaches than college players? If the answer is yes, then why?

 

Ru, do you think some of the coaches feel there is too much practice because they themselves don't want to put in so much time? Or feel that their programs don't have the commitment level other programs do, and by reducing the amount of permissable practice time, it could be an equalizing influence?

they are concerned that speaking up could have several negative consequences.

 

I would like to hear your opinions on the following four questions:

 

1. Do coaches spend too much time with kids during the summer? Should players really be able to be coached and wear helmets every day in the summer other than dead period?

I don't know about other parts of the state, but given what I know, No. And, I think helmets should be worn every time there is a football activity, particularly if there is one-on-one competition. I have seen way more injuries without the helmet in these kind of situation, then I have seen when the helmet is worn.

2. Does the amount of time that coaches spend with kids offer up more opportunity for athletes to get hurt?

That's just horse poo poo. One, most of the football practice we are talking about here is not contact and is basically conditioning. Two, I think being in better shape decreases the chance of injury. Come on, a coach really stated this?

3. With all the discussion of safety and concussions, why are we allowing coaches ten days of spring with no physical acclamation to contact?

This is probably the most misunderstood, misguided thought I have heard in a while. The 10 day acclamation to practice is for acclamation to the heat, not to "contact". That's all, that's it, nothing more. Does a coach really think he is acclimating his player to hitting?

4. Do KY high school players spend more time with their football coaches than college players? If the answer is yes, then why?

I can't say a definite, yes. But, I will say probably. Why? Because young men need guidance, education, and structure. The college coaches should call and thank the high school coaches that spent countless hours with their recruits. That makes the college coach's job a lot easier.

Ru, do you think some of the coaches feel there is too much practice because they themselves don't want to put in so much time? Or feel that their programs don't have the commitment level other programs do, and by reducing the amount of permissable practice time, it could be an equalizing influence?

 

It easy to say things like that when we are used to programs like Highlands, Beechwood, Cov Cath, etc... But could you imagine being the coach of Newport, Dayton, Bellevue and teh like. My guess is that if they insisted on the amount of time taht the top programs put in, they wouldn't have a team. Has to be a difficult balance between discipline and effort and maintaining some sort of a team. A coach must be part phychologist to figure out just how far he can push them or how much he can require out of them time-wise.

 

I believe it goes along with what KYVince was saying above. Just because you have developed a machine and you have coaches and a significant number of players willing to sacrifice everything else doesn't make it the right thing for the majority.

I would agree, however some (parents & players) don't mind especially if they (the player) want to get better. I say if you and your athlete are willing to go down this path more power to ya. You can look at has having "mini" vacations every weekend play summer ball and going out of town.

 

Not true for football.

I would agree, however some (parents & players) don't mind especially if they (the player) want to get better. I say if you and your athlete are willing to go down this path more power to ya. You can look at has having "mini" vacations every weekend play summer ball and going out of town.

Well, it's really not much of a vacation when you have very limited down time. Also it gets very expensive, look at for summer ball spending around $400 a weekend for 3-4 day tournaments every single weekend through the end of July.

 

To tell you the truth, we were actually not going to p,ay summerball once he reached High school simply because as soon as the HS baseball season was over he had to go straight into football, but it was his HS baseball coach who basically forced all the kids to p,ay summerball which I didn't agree with but it is what it is. Which meant every summer for 4 years consisted of Football in the mornings and Baseball at night until Thur night when we would be traveling to baseball tourneys. I personally don't know how the kids could do it all and I felt terrible for them.

 

The problem I had was I didn't know any better ahead of time, our 2 older kids are girls who didnt p,ay sports in high school, so I wasn't aware how much time it took up and how big of a commitment it is for a high school athlete, totally different from when I grew up playing. If we had 2 boys instead of one we would of knew better by the time the youngest got to high school and we would of probably had him choose which sport he wanted to stick to.

 

I will miss it after he graduates, the friends you have etc. but it will also be a relief at the same time. We will get our summers back.

Holy Crap! I actually agree with Hellbird 100% on something.

 

I hope it changes before my kids are high school age. I know friends' sons are doing something for football all but 4 weeks out of the year. 2 weeks after season and 2 week dead-period. Even when they are playing other sports, they are expected to atttend any football event/practice/weight training that does not conflict. At Beechwood this year, I discovered they added at 6:30 AM receivers practice before school. Hard to say you have a conflict with Baseball at 6:30 AM. Unfortunately, I fear it will get worse before its gets better. I saw on the news that Ryle does a Midnight Madness practice. While it might be a great tradition, is there really a benefit to that?

 

Coaches keep pushing the envelope to try and "out-work" the opponents. I wish some smart coach would try a softer approach that allows the kids to enjoy it more instead of resenting it. Yes, I said it. I believe that less time would result in greater productivity during the hours you do practice and likely more productivity and better results overall. I also belive that the excessive time has led to injuries due to the wear and tear and exhaustion.

 

On a directly selfish side, the State need to extend the Dead Period UP into June. Always have it start the 3rd Friday in June and have it go for 3 weeks including the 4th weekend. So always 24 days. This would allow families to truly enjoy summer and be able to take some family vacations. We have had to cancel our group vacation with friends because we can no longer coordinate it with those that have Football players.

It's a good day when we both agree on something :ylsuper:

they are concerned that speaking up could have several negative consequences.

 

I would like to hear your opinions on the following four questions:

 

1. Do coaches spend too much time with kids during the summer? Should players really be able to be coached and wear helmets every day in the summer other than dead period?

 

2. Does the amount of time that coaches spend with kids offer up more opportunity for athletes to get hurt?

 

3. With all the discussion of safety and concussions, why are we allowing coaches ten days of spring with no physical acclamation to contact?

 

4. Do KY high school players spend more time with their football coaches than college players? If the answer is yes, then why?

 

The State of KY can thank Hal Mumme for this argument...:thumb:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.