Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ranking Class 1A

Featured Replies

What will the top in 1A look like in the pre-season? What teams will surprise us? What normal top 10 teams will not be as good as expected? I'll start with what I expect. What do you think?

 

 

1. Mayfield

2. Beechwood

3. Pikeville

4. Raceland

5. Fairview

6. Hazard

7. Russellville

8. Frankfort

9. Williamsburg

10. Bellevue

Others:

Kentucky Country Day

Harlan

Nicholas County

Louisville Holy Cross

Bethlehem

Pineville

Eminence

Campbellsville

Paris

Bracken County

  • Replies 37
  • Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pikeville certainly will be in the thick of things and may be the favorite out of the East but it is tough to put them that high just yet. At the same time...it is next to impossible to find someone to firmly place ahead of them.

 

Williamsburg is the team I expect to be Top 5 worthy..maybe even that #3 spot.

 

Seems like it may be a down year in 1A. In year's past there were 3-4 top teams and a solid cluster of 3-4 teams in the second tier. This year it appears to be Mayfield and Beechwood..then a whole mess of teams that would normally be considered the 3rd tier.

I think 1A this season is Mayfield and everyone else. I don't think anyone in 1A comes within 2 scores of them. I think Williamsburg is too low, I'd put them at #3.

  • Author

I think you may have overstated it a little. Pikeville, Racaland, Hazard, and Russellville are going to be pretty darn good. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see Russellville knock Mayfield off, and I'm far from the only one to think that. Mayfield fans may not want to admit it, but it's a real possibility. But, without a game being played yet, Mayfield is above them.

I think you have to put Mayfield at the top of the heap considering they are the defending champs, I have heard a lot of good things about Raceland and Russellville, heard they will both be very good this year. Beechwood is young and talented, their success will depend on kids stepping on to the stage and not letting it overwhelm them.

  • Author
Pikeville certainly will be in the thick of things and may be the favorite out of the East but it is tough to put them that high just yet. At the same time...it is next to impossible to find someone to firmly place ahead of them.

Pikeville and Raceland have virtually everyone back from last year, where these teams went to overtime in the playoffs. I think the two teams are linked pretty closely. Fairview lost a lost to graduation.

 

The only teams that could be ahead of them at this point is maybe Hazard, they have had a new QB transfer in, still a little bit of an unknown right now.

I think 1A this season is Mayfield and everyone else. I don't think anyone in 1A comes within 2 scores of them. I think Williamsburg is too low, I'd put them at #3.

 

I would like to hear more about Williamsburg. Who are they returning and who did they lose? If I recall, their schedule looked weak last year and because of that, I underestimated them. Did they beef up their schedule at all?

I would like to hear more about Williamsburg. Who are they returning and who did they lose? If I recall, their schedule looked weak last year and because of that, I underestimated them. Did they beef up their schedule at all?

 

I know that they added Knoxville Halls, Wayne County, Harrison County and Pike County Central. It should be a better schedule. They lost 3 linemen as well as a couple of defensive backs. They return their quarterback, Dalton Sizemore, who is very good as well as their 2 leading rushers and 2 leading receivers.

MY PICKS WEST BRACKET

1. Mayfield

2. Russellville

3. Beechwood

4. Frankfort

 

My take is Mayfield has a lot back and should be at very least be one of the favorites. Maybe their best QB ever and a very, very special line returns to the man from last year. This is the same line that completely dominated Beechwood and Fairview in the semis and finals. If history is any indication, Mayfield will be a tough out when they are really good upfront.

BUT

Russellville is absolutely loaded and could be good enough to win it all this year.

Beechwood is always a threat to win it all but I am not sure they are going to be very good early in the year and only time will tell us if they can develop the young team into a contender by late in the season

Frankfort, usually a stronger 1A team and to be honest that is why I have them at 4 because I don't know much about them but they are stronger every year

 

EASt BRACKET

I am to far away to know as much but I would expect 4 to contend

Hazard, Williamsburg, Raceland, Pikeville

 

Williamsburg played a soft schedule but returns a lot and should be pretty good behind a solid QB. I don't see many here giving them much thought, is that due to their weak schedule or other?

Raceland returning a lot is well documented here with the large following they have on this site

Pikeville also returns a lot I am told

Hazard is like Frankfort, always in the mix

Beechwood at the beginning of the season might be too high at #2 but that may be correct at the end of the season.

I would love to see another state champ listed at venerable old Rhea Stadium/Barrett Field (the Fenway Park of KY hs football!!:lol2:), but my common sense says Mayfield #1. It is a shame that they can't be in opposite brackets...!

 

I agree with my pal Toothpick on this one!:thumb:

I think for a pre season poll that looks pretty good. I can't argue much if any with it. I do think that Williamsburg probably should be higher. Fairview , imo will be good again. The Eagles have lost a lot to graduation but that was a pretty strong team last season and I'm sure they will have some good players coming back due to younger players getting a lot of playing time in all the blowout games they had last season. Plus, you never know if they have and/or how many new transfers will be in Westwood. Fairview has had winning football teams for several consecutive years now and they are now confident that they can win in every season, long gone are the days of an automatic win vs. the Eagles. I may put Raceland at #3 but see why Ram put them below Pikeville due to Raceland losses in the playoffs. Raceland also has what is imo the toughest schedule in the long history of Raceland football. That can definitely prepare them for the better teams past rd. 1 of the playoffs or they could go in "beat up" from the rugged schedule.

I hope that all teams remain injury free for the entire season.

 

Pretty soon the pads will go on and the "slobber knockers" will start. :taz:

I think you have to put Mayfield at the top of the heap considering they are the defending champs, I have heard a lot of good things about Raceland and Russellville, heard they will both be very good this year. Beechwood is young and talented, their success will depend on kids stepping on to the stage and not letting it overwhelm them.

 

I agree with all that you have here and welcome to BGP Phantom. :thumb:

I think the East side will be either Fairview or Raceland. Fairview did lose some great players (5-6) starters total, but a few new additions and the bulk of the team is back. The team is going to be bigger, stronger and faster. Don't be surprised if the Eagles are better than last year. Just my 2 cents.

I think you have to put Mayfield at the top of the heap considering they are the defending champs, I have heard a lot of good things about Raceland and Russellville, heard they will both be very good this year. Beechwood is young and talented, their success will depend on kids stepping on to the stage and not letting it overwhelm them.

 

Not sure what's with all the Young and Inexperienced comments about this Beechwood Team. There is no doubt that Beechwood lost some Talent, but by my estimates there are at least 15 players that played 1st team ball in the playoffs last year. Add In the Truly "young" talent that any team would kill to have and "young and inexperienced" just will not be problem. While you don't replace a Max Nussbaum, the truth is every other player's shoes will be filled nicely. While it may take a few players to fill in for Nussbaum, I like the combination punch of Stringer, Thomas and Studer to do that job.

 

I predict there will be alot of surprised BGP'ers early in the season.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.