Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Boone County - Top All-Time 3 Players

Featured Replies

What about John Shannon didn't he play at UK and then in the NFL?

 

John walked on at U.K. & got a scholarship. Played professional for the Chicago Bears. John has a big Heart!!!

 

I remember a number of people laughing about Shannon going to UK. They didn't even think he was that good a high school player, let alone play at UK. I guess he got the last laugh on that one. A great example of working hard and chasing your dream paying off for someone.

  • Replies 57
  • Views 24.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the day they did not have soft blue on anything.....

 

How far back is that? I have pictures back to the1988 uniforms that are soft blue .... and as much as i hate to say it ... they need to change back to it ... that is Boone County Football. The Navy blue looks horrible with the gray.

 

The soft blue was an accent color would be a better way to describe it. 87 was my senior season playing against them and I do not remember seeing it all except for part of the stripes on the pants, of course, I have mis-remembered before.

 

 

It looks like I was not very clear about my point on Boone's colors. Yes, they had light blue as part of their uniform but somewhere from the late 80's on they have shifted to more of a Carolina blue and made that the major color and look of their uniforms for all sports. Sorry for getting off topic...and I am with QS, when I see "soft blue" or Carolina blue it makes me want to throw up!!

It looks like I was not very clear about my point on Boone's colors. Yes, they had light blue as part of their uniform but somewhere from the late 80's on they have shifted to more of a Carolina blue and made that the major color and look of their uniforms for all sports. Sorry for getting off topic...and I am with QS, when I see "soft blue" or Carolina blue it makes me want to throw up!!

 

Yeah ... I could have been more clear ... for me ... "Soft Blue" = Carolina Blue!

 

Back on topic ... it does surprise me that John Ransdell isn't getting more play in this thread.

Naturally .. Boone has had a ton of great running backs over the years ... But his performance kick started an amazing streak of RB's.

 

For instance:

J. Ransdell

B. Black

J. Colemire (injury affected his play--and also opened the door for S. Alexander)

S. Alexander

 

Lots of yardage gained from that group.

Put me with Sandman and the others, I will take 1987 Boone over any other Boone team ever, not even close.

 

Gotta say I agree that the 1987 team was the best. I played against them and their speed was awesome. You couldn't take a play off on that team:isurrender:

I'd love to see their list of top 10 rushers.

Gotta say I agree that the 1987 team was the best. I played against them and their speed was awesome. You couldn't take a play off on that team:isurrender:

 

There speed couldn't match the speed of the 1995 team... We had six athletes under 4.5 in the 40....

There speed couldn't match the speed of the 1995 team... We had six athletes under 4.5 in the 40....

Oh, my God…….. If I don't ever hear another 40 time again it would not bother me one bit what so ever.

Yeah ... I could have been more clear ... for me ... "Soft Blue" = Carolina Blue!

 

Back on topic ... it does surprise me that John Ransdell isn't getting more play in this thread.

Naturally .. Boone has had a ton of great running backs over the years ... But his performance kick started an amazing streak of RB's.

 

For instance:

J. Ransdell

B. Black

J. Colemire (injury affected his play--and also opened the door for S. Alexander)

S. Alexander

 

Lots of yardage gained from that group.

 

All good names, and believe me if I were going to list a top three, Ransdell would get serious consideration. Best running back in a backfield that included Smith, and Law. That's saying more than a little bit. Of course, that's subjective and not everyone will agree.

 

Your list missed one deserving name though; John Alford. He was somewhere in the mix of Ransdell and Black. May have been right after Ransdell and before Black, or may have been right after both. In any event, he was very good as well, and put up huge numbers. May have been a WKU recruit.

There speed couldn't match the speed of the 1995 team... We had six athletes under 4.5 in the 40....

 

You hid them well...

 

Again, the 94 team (assuming that's the team you are talking about) was very, very good. A big part of that was because the team had a future NFL MVP in the backfield. But, the team was very good.

 

87 team was better every day of the week and twice on Sunday. They were that good.

 

Case in point: Take Alexander off the 94 team, and they cannot beat Elder and may not beat Campbell County. And, I'm being kind with the Campbell County games.

 

Take any player you want off the 87 team, and they still win every game they play. Except of course for the one they somehow found a way to lose themselves.

All good names, and believe me if I were going to list a top three, Ransdell would get serious consideration. Best running back in a backfield that included Smith, and Law. That's saying more than a little bit. Of course, that's subjective and not everyone will agree.

 

Your list missed one deserving name though; John Alford. He was somewhere in the mix of Ransdell and Black. May have been right after Ransdell and before Black, or may have been right after both. In any event, he was very good as well, and put up huge numbers. May have been a WKU recruit.

 

Great point! I knew that I was missing someone ... and for whatever reason ... could not remember. (Which is really weak considering the fact that my brother used to spend some time with John).

 

Man ... he could play. I remember him showing my brother and I hand written letters from places like Colorado (who was pretty good at the time). Some where in my rattle trap brain ... I remember him having a 6 or 8 TD game against someone.

 

I believe he may have coached at Boone for a year or two in the early-mid nineties.

You guys have forgotten a couple other really great boone players, John Alford(rb) and Darryl Long(Lb) they was both great

There are some really good names missing here ...

*Steve Harris (LB--probably in the top 3 in NKY Ever .. and yes .. I mean .. EVER).

*Troy Sturdivant (LB--Overshadowed by Harris most of his career)

*Jim Ferguson (O-Line)

*Bryson Warner (LB)

 

I am a huge fan of Brian Mainey ... I feel like he belongs in the "Underrated" thread more than here.

 

I don't see how you guys put up these Lbs and not put up the one that broke all there records, Darryl long was a great Lb for the rebels and I agree with Brian Mainey, he was a good player

You hid them well...

 

Again, the 94 team (assuming that's the team you are talking about) was very, very good. A big part of that was because the team had a future NFL MVP in the backfield. But, the team was very good.

 

87 team was better every day of the week and twice on Sunday. They were that good.

 

Case in point: Take Alexander off the 94 team, and they cannot beat Elder and may not beat Campbell County. And, I'm being kind with the Campbell County games.

 

Take any player you want off the 87 team, and they still win every game they play. Except of course for the one they somehow found a way to lose themselves.

Even with him they should of lost to Shelby Co that year. They won by 1 pt on a fg with about 2 minutes left. That was set up by a return out two midfield and a few 4th down conversions.

 

Now if that team had some 4.5 guys I don't know where they were at. I sure as heck didn't run a 4.5 and even could run guys down.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.