Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Football Playoffs Survey

Featured Replies

There are actually around 220 teams playing football in Kentucky. There are 32 teams in 1A and 6A, but 2A-5A each have around 40 teams in them. Under your proposed system, it would be:

 

Class A - 16 teams

Class AA - 95 teams

Class AAA - 95 teams

Class AAAA - 16 teams

 

Class AA and AAA would require 11-12 teams per district (if you kept the same 8-district setup), and that wouldn't per possible with a 10 game season.

Not my proposal, it is Guru's

  • Replies 66
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not my proposal, it is Guru's

 

My bad, Jumper_Dad.

KHSAA has done a survey regarding the Football Playoffs.

Which one would you prefer?

 

Here are your options:

 

1. Keep the 4 team system

2. 3 team system. 1st place team in each district gets a bye.

3. 2 team system.

 

 

 

I choose #2.

I am not sure how I feel about option 2. While I like it, I always thought you are supposed to play your best football at the end of the year. With only 3 teams making it, the fourth seed is left out. I think about a couple recent 6a teams in NKY who made long playoff runs while being a 4 seed. These teams would be sitting at home with the 3 seed system.

I am not sure how I feel about option 2. While I like it, I always thought you are supposed to play your best football at the end of the year. With only 3 teams making it, the fourth seed is left out. I think about a couple recent 6a teams in NKY who made long playoff runs while being a 4 seed. These teams would be sitting at home with the 3 seed system.

 

 

I don't think there would be many 'good' 4th seeded teams left out. It would also make the regular season more meaningful.

I am not sure how I feel about option 2. While I like it, I always thought you are supposed to play your best football at the end of the year. With only 3 teams making it, the fourth seed is left out. I think about a couple recent 6a teams in NKY who made long playoff runs while being a 4 seed. These teams would be sitting at home with the 3 seed system.

 

Very true.

 

The tie breaker is screwed up as it is anyway for 3 way ties in a district.

 

One of the biggest complaints last year when this topic came up (for the thousandth time) was people were tired of the blowouts in the playoffs, especially the first round etc. My point has always been that there will always be blowouts. We can simply look at last season's playoffs.

I will again use Cooper as the example mainly because I am very familiar with the team and their playoff run.

 

Many said only the top 2 in each district should make it. In Cooper's district, neither the 1 or 2 seed made it to the regional championship game. Cooper however as a #3 seed went all the way to the state championship game.

 

Many said the blowouts are a reason only 2 teams from a district should make it. Cooper had their share of blowouts also during the playoffs and they wouldn't of been in the playoffs if the 2 team playoff existed. So much so that one of their many #1 seeded opponents they faced were the previous years State Runner ups and Cooper beat them 48-0. Are people saying that that particular #1 seed shouldn't of been in the playoffs because they got blown out?

 

There really isn't a good argument that I have read yet that would limit the playoff teams to only 2 or even 3 teams per district. 4 teams is fine.

 

I think there is a misguided impression about the playoffs and that is that "Every team" makes the playoffs every year. Cooper has only made the playoffs twice in their 5 years. 2011 and 2012

  • Author
Yeah just though it was funny that this subject is up again. It has been beat to death, but that didn't stop me from giving my 2 cents.

 

If you looked you would have found that this topic is already deep in the football thread probably many times.

 

Just like any other points. They keep coming back. I brought it up because the KHSAA is bring it back up with the AD's. Again, the topic might be old, but it gets brought up again.

KHSAA has done a survey regarding the Football Playoffs.

Which one would you prefer?

 

Here are your options:

 

1. Keep the 4 team system

2. 3 team system. 1st place team in each district gets a bye.

3. 2 team system.

Of the options presented definitely #3. This ensures an extra week to the regular season that teams can opt to play or not and eliminates a lot of unnecessary costs plus it gives teams added flexibility. The rebuttal is always something to the effect of, "Team X, a 4 seed, beat Team Y, a 1 seed in this year." OK. That is in all levels of football. Districts are never going to be evenly weighted, just as college football conferences are never going to be evenly weighted, just like NFL divisions are never going to be equally weighted. I have never understood why that justifies letting in virtually everyone. A lot of it is just your perspective on what playoffs are supposed to mean. To me making the playoffs is to be celebrated and a reward for regular season accomplishments.

Very true.

 

The tie breaker is screwed up as it is anyway for 3 way ties in a district.

 

One of the biggest complaints last year when this topic came up (for the thousandth time) was people were tired of the blowouts in the playoffs, especially the first round etc. My point has always been that there will always be blowouts. We can simply look at last season's playoffs.

I will again use Cooper as the example mainly because I am very familiar with the team and their playoff run.

 

Many said only the top 2 in each district should make it. In Cooper's district, neither the 1 or 2 seed made it to the regional championship game. Cooper however as a #3 seed went all the way to the state championship game.

 

Many said the blowouts are a reason only 2 teams from a district should make it. Cooper had their share of blowouts also during the playoffs and they wouldn't of been in the playoffs if the 2 team playoff existed. So much so that one of their many #1 seeded opponents they faced were the previous years State Runner ups and Cooper beat them 48-0. Are people saying that that particular #1 seed shouldn't of been in the playoffs because they got blown out?

 

There really isn't a good argument that I have read yet that would limit the playoff teams to only 2 or even 3 teams per district. 4 teams is fine.

 

I think there is a misguided impression about the playoffs and that is that "Every team" makes the playoffs every year. Cooper has only made the playoffs twice in their 5 years. 2011 and 2012

 

While true I do think there are moer 4 team districts than 5 team districts so it does appear that everyone makes the playoffs when the reality is everybody doesn't make the playoffs.

 

I do feel like that first week of playoffs is a wasted week.

Of the options presented definitely #3. This ensures an extra week to the regular season that teams can opt to play or not and eliminates a lot of unnecessary costs plus it gives teams added flexibility. The rebuttal is always something to the effect of, "Team X, a 4 seed, beat Team Y, a 1 seed in this year." OK. That is in all levels of football. Districts are never going to be evenly weighted, just as college football conferences are never going to be evenly weighted, just like NFL divisions are never going to be equally weighted. I have never understood why that justifies letting in virtually everyone. A lot of it is just your perspective on what playoffs are supposed to mean. To me making the playoffs is to be celebrated and a reward for regular season accomplishments.

 

 

 

I voted for #2 but I would be fine with your choice as well. I agree with your last sentence wholeheartedly.

Perspective is a funny thing. I swear I used to be a 6 class guy. As of today I am a 4 class guy. Could live with 5. 6 is at least one class too many.

How would you handle a three way tie for second? One would be left home...

Thoughts:

 

1. I like as many teams as possible being in the playoffs but am OK with eliminating the 0-10 type teams. I would like to see a suggestion on a rule that will have some very low minimum qualification required to get in that is only in place to eliminate 0-10 type teams. Perhaps the rule should be the bootom 4 or 6 teams do not qualify and then you have to come up with a way to decide who those bottom 4 are. You will have to organize the playoffs every year as this will likely make it impossible to have a structured annual playoff process, but I am ok with it.

 

2. On the 16 or 32 teams in 1A and 6A, I actually would like that to only apply in 6A. I would like to see 1A become bigger and be divided equally like the other classes except 6A. I believe reducing 1A to 16 teams solves nothing and makes for less competition. In a 16 team 1A, there will be a couple teams that will win every year. 1A needs increased competition, not less. On the 6A side, 16 is ok because the 16th biggest school in the state has enough students to compete.

 

3. I lean toward 5 classes, with 16 in the biggest class and the other 4 classes divided equally.

How would you handle a three way tie for second? One would be left home...

 

That's a different discussion pertaining to tiebreaker rules. I'm down for whatever.

To me making the playoffs is to be celebrated and a reward for regular season accomplishments.
Not saying that I disagree but, no one has a problem with every other HS Sport allowing everyone in the playoffs regardless of their record. Regular season means zilch in Basketball, Baseball, Softball, Soccer, Volleyball, Track, Golf, Tennis and Wrestling, so why is it such an issue with so many in football?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.