April 29, 201313 yr I give them a B. I like Eifert and would agree on Gresham the guy has the talent just doesn't seem to put it all together.
April 29, 201313 yr I liked what the Bengals did. The first thing that I think of though is you can have all the talent in the world but if you have bad coaches you will never see how great players can really be. So that is the question I have. Marvin reminds me of Dusty Baker, when you have all the talent in the world but coaching holds you back, how good of a team can you become....only time will tell and so far the time since Marvin has been here has shown nothing much. How many pro bowl players did the Bengals have last year? I think people almost always over rate their team's talent. The Bengals are performing just about where their talent is. As to the draft, I give them a B but mainly because they did the best with what they had available at the time of their picks. I would rather have seen a safety in round 1, but when Vaccaro and Reid were both gone by the time they picked, Eifert was the right choice and very good value for that pick. Same at the start of round 2. Cyprien was picked just before them and they wanted Bernard so I am good with that pick. I think they got some good value late in Williams, Porter and Fragel. I would really have liked to see them make a trade with all the extra picks to move up and get Reid, but that is hindsight. The 49ers made that move or the Bengals may have been able to get Reid with their pick.
April 29, 201313 yr I love the Eifert and Bernard selections. They fill the two most glaring needs for the Bengals; more offensive firepower and flexibility. While the Hunt selection is intriguing, I would've preferred a more highly regarded Safety with that pick. I have not seen Williams play, but he sounds like a Taylor Mays sequel. I would give them a B+.
April 29, 201313 yr Thanks, Guru, for accumulating all these reports into one thread. Saved us a lot of time doing all the research for us. As always, BGP is the only place you need to go if you want to know all the angles on a topic! I tend to not give a letter grade to the Bengals draft. I will call it an "incomplete". Everybody is trying to improve their team through the draft and free agency. Optimism is everywhere. The rubber meets the road once the rookie camps and team training camp starts. Can they all stay healthy? Can they fit into the system and handle the speed and power of the pro game? The Bengals have to get over that "get to the playoffs but lose in the first round" hurdle. They have a very difficult start to the season. I will give them that B if they start 3-2.
April 29, 201313 yr How many pro bowl players did the Bengals have last year? I think people almost always over rate their team's talent. The Bengals are performing just about where their talent is. As to the draft, I give them a B but mainly because they did the best with what they had available at the time of their picks. I would rather have seen a safety in round 1, but when Vaccaro and Reid were both gone by the time they picked, Eifert was the right choice and very good value for that pick. Same at the start of round 2. Cyprien was picked just before them and they wanted Bernard so I am good with that pick. I think they got some good value late in Williams, Porter and Fragel. I would really have liked to see them make a trade with all the extra picks to move up and get Reid, but that is hindsight. The 49ers made that move or the Bengals may have been able to get Reid with their pick. I agree with you 110% A lot of people are saying the Bengals have had among the bext drafts over the past 3 years, I look at it as an NFL players lifespan in the NFL is just over 4 years avg. If that is correct and the Bengals have had among the best drafts per say then why aren't there more pro bowlers and why hasn't the team won? If it's not the players then it has to be the coaches. I personally think it's a little of both.
April 29, 201313 yr I agree with you 110% A lot of people are saying the Bengals have had among the bext drafts over the past 3 years, I look at it as an NFL players lifespan in the NFL is just over 4 years avg. If that is correct and the Bengals have had among the best drafts per say then why aren't there more pro bowlers and why hasn't the team won? If it's not the players then it has to be the coaches. I personally think it's a little of both. Didn't they send 3 to the Pro Bowl last year? That's a pretty good number from a single team. As for the Draft Grade, like others have said, solid B maybe A-.
April 29, 201313 yr I liked what the Bengals did. The first thing that I think of though is you can have all the talent in the world but if you have bad coaches you will never see how great players can really be. So that is the question I have. Marvin reminds me of Dusty Baker, when you have all the talent in the world but coaching holds you back, how good of a team can you become....only time will tell and so far the time since Marvin has been here has shown nothing much. I don't think Marvin has problems developing players. His problems are game day strategy. Especially time outs, challenges and clock management.
April 29, 201313 yr I agree with you 110% A lot of people are saying the Bengals have had among the bext drafts over the past 3 years, I look at it as an NFL players lifespan in the NFL is just over 4 years avg. If that is correct and the Bengals have had among the best drafts per say then why aren't there more pro bowlers and why hasn't the team won? If it's not the players then it has to be the coaches. I personally think it's a little of both. Playoffs the last two years, right? Playoffs 3 of the last 4 years? They are winning.
April 29, 201313 yr Author Lots of great comments in this thread. All other things being equal (meaning some of these player work out and some don't) if Shawn Williams (the GA SS) becomes a solid starter for the Bengals I think this draft class will lean more A.
April 29, 201313 yr Playoffs the last two years, right? Playoffs 3 of the last 4 years? They are winning. That does not count for him. If they are not in the AFC Championship then it doesn't matter. He wants them to jump from the bottom of the steps all the way to the top just like that. There is no working your way up the steps, its either jump all the way to the top or your failing. There is no building to get to the top, or at least that is what one would believe from how he feels about the Bengals and being one of very few to be in the playoffs 3 out of the last 4 years. Being one of the best teams in regards to the draft the last 4 years, etc. It should be easy going from the worst ran franchise in the world and being able to jump to being one of the top teams competiting for the Super Bowl. There is no building to get to that spot, even if its right in front of people's noses that they are for once building the right way. Put it this way if say the Bengals had a new owner take over 4 years ago, and had the exact same results. There would be people jumping for joy saying now this owner knows how to run a team, and is building the team the right way. However since its still Mike Brown, there is no building the right way. Which I admit he has earned the hatred that fans give him now even if he does things right. I am not a fan of his, but I can give credit for where credit is due and he is doing things right the last few years.
April 29, 201313 yr Lots of great comments in this thread. All other things being equal (meaning some of these player work out and some don't) if Shawn Williams (the GA SS) becomes a solid starter for the Bengals I think this draft class will lean more A. Agreed. He's the key barring a major injury to a guy drafted before him. Being that Kirkpatrick barely saw the field last year due to injury it's like they have two 1sts and two 2nds starting off camp this year from a team that's really only weaknesses might be QB and coaching decisions. I wonder if Dalton can make the leap because Marvin probably won't.
April 29, 201313 yr Lots of great comments in this thread. All other things being equal (meaning some of these player work out and some don't) if Shawn Williams (the GA SS) becomes a solid starter for the Bengals I think this draft class will lean more A. I agree. I think Williams is the key make or break player in grading this draft. Eifert will almost certainly be good. I expect good things out of Bernard with the way the Bengals will likely use him. But safety was a big need coming in and the Bengals hopes on that need are on Williams. If he does not become productive, the grade on this draft drops.
April 29, 201313 yr Playoffs the last two years, right? Playoffs 3 of the last 4 years? They are winning. 12 out of 32 teams make the playoffs, nothing special. Winning in post season would be a good start.
April 29, 201313 yr 12 out of 32 teams make the playoffs, nothing special. Winning in post season would be a good start. How many have made the playoffs the last two seasons? How many have made the playoffs 3 of the last 4 seasons?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.