April 29, 201313 yr That does not count for him. If they are not in the AFC Championship then it doesn't matter. He wants them to jump from the bottom of the steps all the way to the top just like that. There is no working your way up the steps, its either jump all the way to the top or your failing. There is no building to get to the top, or at least that is what one would believe from how he feels about the Bengals and being one of very few to be in the playoffs 3 out of the last 4 years. Being one of the best teams in regards to the draft the last 4 years, etc. It should be easy going from the worst ran franchise in the world and being able to jump to being one of the top teams competiting for the Super Bowl. There is no building to get to that spot, even if its right in front of people's noses that they are for once building the right way. Put it this way if say the Bengals had a new owner take over 4 years ago, and had the exact same results. There would be people jumping for joy saying now this owner knows how to run a team, and is building the team the right way. However since its still Mike Brown, there is no building the right way. Which I admit he has earned the hatred that fans give him now even if he does things right. I am not a fan of his, but I can give credit for where credit is due and he is doing things right the last few years. Working your way up? I'd be happy with working their way up....what is your definition of working their way up? Having the same amount of post season wins in the past 4 years as they've had in the past 20 years? They aren't working their way up much are they? how long do you give them? Are you saying if they make the playoffs but still can't win over the next 3 years it's sstill an improvement? They made the playoffs in 2005, are they better now almost 10 years down the road than they were in 2005?
April 29, 201313 yr How many have made the playoffs the last two seasons? How many have made the playoffs 3 of the last 4 seasons? something like 7 or maybe fewer like 4, not sure. What does that prove? How many of those teams have won a post season game? How many teams in the NFL have won in the post season in the last 20 years? All of them except the Bengals. Making the playoffs isn't the toughest thing in the world, winning in the playoffs would be a great start.
April 29, 201313 yr something like 7 or maybe fewer like 4, not sure. What does that prove? How many of those teams have won a post season game? How many teams in the NFL have won in the post season in the last 20 years? All of them except the Bengals. Making the playoffs isn't the toughest thing in the world, winning in the playoffs would be a great start. What it proves is things are different in Bengal land. The last few drafts have been highly rated. Playoffs 3 of the last 4 years. Get out of the 90's and accept the new reality. The vast majority of the player moves and decisions happening with the Bengals the past few years have been the right decisions. Yes, everyone wants playoff wins. I am more optimistic that will happen in the next couple years than I have been at any other time in the last 20 years.
April 29, 201313 yr What it proves is things are different in Bengal land. The last few drafts have been highly rated. Playoffs 3 of the last 4 years. Get out of the 90's and accept the new reality. The vast majority of the player moves and decisions happening with the Bengals the past few years have been the right decisions. Yes, everyone wants playoff wins. I am more optimistic that will happen in the next couple years than I have been at any other time in the last 20 years. First off, I'm not in the 90's I am in 2013. Secondly Show me where I ever said we aren't drafting better etc. than in the past. Wow, some people on here really have difficulties in understanding what some of us fans would like. You see our goal is to win a Super Bowl, it should be everybody's goal I would hope but apparently not. Apparently, unfortunately, there are still too many that live in the 90's like you and some others where anything better than the 90's then they are happy and content. Excuse me for actually expecting more. If you are happy with mediocrity then more power to you and Mike Brown would be very pleased. Others like myself however actually want the team to win. Maybe I'm mmore like many of the players, ask any of them what they expect to accomplish before each season and they will tell you their goal is a Super Bowl, anything less is unacceptable. Maybe that is the difference between me and some others on here. I wwant the Bengals to be the best team in the NFL, while others are happy with 0 playoff wins as long as they make it to the playoffs.
April 29, 201313 yr Working your way up? I'd be happy with working their way up....what is your definition of working their way up? Having the same amount of post season wins in the past 4 years as they've had in the past 20 years? They aren't working their way up much are they? how long do you give them? Are you saying if they make the playoffs but still can't win over the next 3 years it's sstill an improvement? They made the playoffs in 2005, are they better now almost 10 years down the road than they were in 2005? Considering the Bengals have one of the youngest teams in the NFL if not the youngest the last few years, and it was definitely the youngest offense last year. Then year still being able to make the playoffs and have the same record as the team who won the Super Bowl is signs of improvement. Now have the young guys been ready for the spotlight the last few years in the playoffs not at all, I can admit that. That is why a team like the Ravens who had those veteran players were able to make a run, however those key players who helped make that run are now gone. This team has shown to now be more consistent and is turning into a team that is expected now to make the playoffs and not just hope to make the playoffs. Look at the teams who do win the Super Bowls, they are usually teams who are consistent playoff teams which the Bengals are becoming. So that is taking steps in the right direction. So there is reason to be excited, but however even I admit that this is a big year for them. With this being Dalton's third year now, there is no excuse to lay an egg in the playoffs. They do need to take that next step and show that they can be a serious Super Bowl threat. Which I think they have the team in place to do so, it all will come down to Dalton IMO. They will go as far as he can take them. If he doesn't show improvements this year then yeah it probably won't happen. He is the question mark.
April 29, 201313 yr Considering the Bengals have one of the youngest teams in the NFL if not the youngest the last few years, and it was definitely the youngest offense last year. Then year still being able to make the playoffs and have the same record as the team who won the Super Bowl is signs of improvement. Now have the young guys been ready for the spotlight the last few years in the playoffs not at all, I can admit that. That is why a team like the Ravens who had those veteran players were able to make a run, however those key players who helped make that run are now gone. This team has shown to now be more consistent and is turning into a team that is expected now to make the playoffs and not just hope to make the playoffs. Look at the teams who do win the Super Bowls, they are usually teams who are consistent playoff teams which the Bengals are becoming. So that is taking steps in the right direction. So there is reason to be excited, but however even I admit that this is a big year for them. With this being Dalton's third year now, there is no excuse to lay an egg in the playoffs. They do need to take that next step and show that they can be a serious Super Bowl threat. Which I think they have the team in place to do so, it all will come down to Dalton IMO. They will go as far as he can take them. If he doesn't show improvements this year then yeah it probably won't happen. He is the question mark. They are young, they've been young for a long long time. They have a lot of young talent, we both agree with that. I'm ready for them to win and they should be ready to win. I hope it happens this year and will be ready for it to happen. I do however get tired of the excuses given to them year after year after year. What has been the excuse the last 10 years? They are to the point where they have a few hholes to fill and are also building depth which is great. I think the time for excuses is over. It's time to win, and win now. Do I think they can win in the playoffs if they reach them this year? Yes I do. The time is now, no more excuses. Let's see what they can do. I don't think the problem anymore is not enough good players, I think the big hurdle that holds them back now is coaching and that starts with Marvin.
May 2, 201313 yr They are young, they've been young for a long long time. They have a lot of young talent, we both agree with that. I'm ready for them to win and they should be ready to win. I hope it happens this year and will be ready for it to happen. I do however get tired of the excuses given to them year after year after year. What has been the excuse the last 10 years? They are to the point where they have a few hholes to fill and are also building depth which is great. I think the time for excuses is over. It's time to win, and win now. Do I think they can win in the playoffs if they reach them this year? Yes I do. The time is now, no more excuses. Let's see what they can do. I don't think the problem anymore is not enough good players, I think the big hurdle that holds them back now is coaching and that starts with Marvin. So now this is the stuff I can agree with. As for like back in 2005 when they looked like they were ready to made a run, we saw how that crumbled from not building the team the right way. They drafted talented but bad character guys, they had guys who ended up being all about theirselves, etc. Not to mention a few career ending injuries with Pollack, and Tab Perry. The reason why people are excited now is because they are building a good team the right way. They are getting talent, but guys with better character too. Which I agree there really is not excuse for them this year, they need to take that next step this year. Which I agree Marvin's in game coaching leaves a lot to be desired. However even with that, I think it will fall on the play of Dalton.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.