April 24, 201313 yr At issue ... Munoz's connection with Citizens for Community Values ... the group which successfully pushed a Cincinnati ordinance in the 1990s, prohibiting gay rights protections in jobs and housing. Voters later repealed that law. But an online petition started by Xavier students says CCV's views are drastically out of line with those of Xavier. The petitioners want to know if Munoz shares the CCV position on the gay rights prohibition. If he does ... the petitioners want the honorary degree stopped and Munoz un-invited as graduation speaker. "It really gets to me personally. I've spent four years here fighting for compassion and equality of all students on campus and then to have my commencement speaker that is so strongly against what I've worked for is very hurtful to me." Petition Opposes Anthony Munoz Appearance At XU Graduation - :: Cincinnati news story :: LOCAL 12 WKRC-TV in Cincinnati
April 24, 201313 yr I think that as a whole most peoples thoughts on gay rights have transformed to some degree since the 90's. Would not be surprised to see that Munoz has a different feeling today.
April 24, 201313 yr Are the students correct? I would also guess that this is an issue for an very small but vocal percentage of students.
April 24, 201313 yr Why would you want Anthony Munoz speaking to a graduating class in the first place?
April 24, 201313 yr My first and second years in law school, John Yarmuth and then Mitch McConnell were the gradutation speakers. You'd have thought all hell was breaking loose the way people reacted. Stay away from politically divisive graduation speakers in general if at all possible. That said, I don't know how Munoz fits on that scale much at all. His involvement with a group in the 90s seems like a pretty tenuous reason to oppose him showing up at a graduation in 2013.
April 24, 201313 yr Xavier being a Catholic institution, I wonder what their stance is on the issue.....That could be real interesting.
April 24, 201313 yr Xavier being a Catholic institution, I wonder what their stance is on the issue.....That could be real interesting. Filled with American Jesuits... an interesting bunch to say the least.
April 24, 201313 yr Why would you want Anthony Munoz speaking to a graduating class in the first place? Football aside, Munoz has given back a ton to the local community. He is a great man, who appeciates the talents God gave him and is nothing less than a class act!
April 24, 201313 yr Go Munoz!! Students-you don't have to show up for the ceremony. You paid the money (or somebody did) and Xavier will happily send you your diploma. Going to and through the commencement ceremony is optional.
April 24, 201313 yr Apparently Munoz met with the Xavier president and explained his feelings on gay rights. He's the speaker.
April 25, 201313 yr Go Munoz!! Students-you don't have to show up for the ceremony. You paid the money (or somebody did) and Xavier will happily send you your diploma. Going to and through the commencement ceremony is optional. Yes, I'm sure that Xavier would be very keen to tell an entire graduating class/fresh crop of alumni, donors and boosters to get bent. Sounds like a great plan.
April 25, 201313 yr Yes, I'm sure that Xavier would be very keen to tell an entire graduating class/fresh crop of alumni, donors and boosters to get bent. Sounds like a great plan. Maybe some of the gay folks and supporters will learn something new, and be "open minded" about it. Oh, wait that's not the point of college or learning. Laughable.
April 25, 201313 yr I would bet that any speaker at any college would have some aspect of his/her life that a student might find objectionable. If you are fortunate to live long enough, and brave enough to speak out on what you believe, eventually you are going to tick someone off. There are a lot of people Whose views I dont like, but I try to respect that, and even like them for it. This young man needs to learn that life like people is never going be exactly what you want. Sounds like Mr. Munoz is a good person who supports his community. The big picture here is what is important.
April 25, 201313 yr Author Apparently Munoz met with the Xavier president and explained his feelings on gay rights. He's the speaker. Is there an article on this? I would like to see the specifics.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.