Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who will be next Highlands Basketball Coach?

Featured Replies

I figured we all have butchered Mike Flynn's resignation thread to death. Quite impressive number of views and posts I must say for a school that prides itself on it's football prowess.

 

I expect a decision on the coach within the next 10 days. Here are the names I am hearing and who I believe the coach will be.

 

Steve Hunt- Current Varsity Assistant- Highlands Grad/ex player

 

Beau Menefee- Current Frosh coach- Highlands Grad/ex player

 

Jimmy Hicks- Current Bellevue Varsity coach - Highlands Grad/ex player

 

Kevin Listerman- Current Colerain Assistant- ex Cov Cath and NKU player. Had Coaching stints at Boone Co and Bellevue as well as a spot on Cov Caths bench.

 

Erik Goetz- Currently not coaching but seeking jobs around the tri state. Former Holy Cross Head Coach. Led Indians to All A State Title in 2012. Couldnt get out of his District in his career at Holy Cross.

 

Brett Blevins- Current JV Coach at Cooper an up and coming program. Has AAU coaching experience and is an up and coming young coaching talent. I expect him to be a head coach somewhere in NKY within the next 2-3 yrs.

 

 

Now, if you want my take on who will get the job I think it is Kevin Listerman's. From what I hear he teaches Science and there is an opening at the High School in this area. He has connections to Highlands Coaching Legend Kenny Shields as his father sat next to him for many years. He is also a young up and comer who can possibly inject some enthusiasm into the program and get more kids out.

 

 

Bottom line is the coach, whoever it is, has to get in the hallways and get a couple kids back on the hardwood. Namely Beau Hoge and Griffin Urlage IMO. Also, they have to be in Nick True and Jensen Feggin's ear as well as these are two bangers who will be needed to rebound the basketball and provide defense.

  • Replies 64
  • Views 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree with you that Kevin will be on rod the first interviewed. I also believe he has the inside track to the job. The only thing that would stop this is if he has a poor interview. I can tell you from personal experience, the Listermans can be rough around the edges at times. Kevin gets paid pretty well at Colerain and has a pretty good coaching gig. He could also decide its not the job for him.

 

Now if Kevin does not get the job, look for it to be opened to other candidates, a couple of which are not listed on your list.

I would agree with you that Kevin will be on rod the first interviewed. I also believe he has the inside track to the job. The only thing that would stop this is if he has a poor interview. I can tell you from personal experience, the Listermans can be rough around the edges at times. Kevin gets paid pretty well at Colerain and has a pretty good coaching gig. He could also decide its not the job for him.

 

Now if Kevin does not get the job, look for it to be opened to other candidates, a couple of which are not listed on your list.

 

Leaving a good basketball program to come to a program that is struggling and is in a tough district? Also leaving Ohio teacher pay for kentucky teacher pay and essentially wasting what ever was paid into the ohio reitrement system. Seems like a no brainer to me.

I like Kevin Listerman to get the job, but what do I know..............

I like Kevin Listerman to get the job, but what do I know..............

 

Sounds like it might be a done deal.

Sounds like it might be a done deal.

 

Should be announced in the next couple days.

  • Author

So if announced then what about the so called interviews?

Leaving a good basketball program to come to a program that is struggling and is in a tough district? Also leaving Ohio teacher pay for kentucky teacher pay and essentially wasting what ever was paid into the ohio reitrement system. Seems like a no brainer to me.

 

Not so fast. Lets dissect this.

Good program to struggling? Highlands is by no means at the bottom of the heap. This can be turned around. In fact 20 wins next year is obtainable.

 

Tough district? Newcath is still on top for certain. Then what? I don't think Highlands has any tougher road than Colerain to a deep playoff run as things stand right now.

 

Ohio pay vs KY? No argument. ......but..... Don't forget head coach pay vs asst. coach pay. That will make up some of the difference. Things like camps can make up more of the distance.

 

Retirement? I think he may have more years in the KY system from his days at Bellevue, Boone, and NKU. This may be a wash.

Also keep in mind that you don't really loose everything. You can opt to let those years sit in case you choose to return to OH at some point. And you do get to withdraw everything that you personally contributed and roll to an IRA or other qualified plan if you so choose.

 

 

I already mentioned head coach vs assistant. This is a no brainier.

 

Perhaps the most important factor, and one that cannot be ignored is the teaching environment. This is night and day. No knock on Colerain here, but at Highlands you get small classes, prepared students, parental involvement, community support, high academic standard, and administrative support. None of which is entirely unique to Highlands, but there are few that can match it.

 

Not as big a jump as some might think.

Not so fast. Lets dissect this.

Good program to struggling? Highlands is by no means at the bottom of the heap. This can be turned around. In fact 20 wins next year is obtainable.

 

Tough district? Newcath is still on top for certain. Then what? I don't think Highlands has any tougher road than Colerain to a deep playoff run as things stand right now.

 

Ohio pay vs KY? No argument. ......but..... Don't forget head coach pay vs asst. coach pay. That will make up some of the difference. Things like camps can make up more of the distance.

 

Retirement? I think he may have more years in the KY system from his days at Bellevue, Boone, and NKU. This may be a wash.

Also keep in mind that you don't really loose everything. You can opt to let those years sit in case you choose to return to OH at some point. And you do get to withdraw everything that you personally contributed and roll to an IRA or other qualified plan if you so choose.

 

 

I already mentioned head coach vs assistant. This is a no brainier.

 

Perhaps the most important factor, and one that cannot be ignored is the teaching environment. This is night and day. No knock on Colerain here, but at Highlands you get small classes, prepared students, parental involvement, community support, high academic standard, and administrative support. None of which is entirely unique to Highlands, but there are few that can match it.

 

Not as big a jump as some might think.

 

Valid points

  • Author

The key to Listerman getting the job will be how well he interviews with Robinson (Principal) for the Teaching position. The academic environment at Highlands takes precedence over all athletics. JMO

  • Author

I am getting reports that Hunt and Menefee have not been at the recent Open Gyms.

 

Do they see the Writing on the wall?

I am getting reports that Hunt and Menefee have not been at the recent Open Gyms.

 

Do they see the Writing on the wall?

 

Could this be because he has been spotted coaching 1st base for his wifes Dayton HS softball team? :idunno:

Covcath guy coaching at Highlands? (FUNNY) IMO I vote for Menefee, he would be there for long term.

Covcath guy coaching at Highlands? (FUNNY) IMO I vote for Menefee, he would be there for long term.

 

Is he in line for an interview?

Q,

 

Where is TJ Lykins on your list? I do agree that a solid teaching potential/position is a huge factor and necessity for the applicant for this opening.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.