Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

30 for 30 "Survive and Advance"

Featured Replies

What a remarkable run by NC State. I had no idea the Pack made such a run during the '83 tournament. A great story, once again a great piece in this series. The picture of Jimmy V's bedroom in Corvallis, something Calapari would never have live through. Beating UVA twice in four games, then beating Phi Slamma Jamma on a miracle play. I have to admit I dropped a few tears when they showed him entering the 10 year reunion.

I really enjoyed watching this; best 30 for 30 film I've watched so far and I've watched nearly all of them.

  • Author

I loved the '83 championship hats. It was one of those hats that painters wear, my dad wore won while painting for the Kenton County Schools during the summer time, instead of "Final Four" it read "Porter Paint". On top of that it had a big Coor's Light emblem on it. Times have changed for sure.

I don't believe that there will ever be a coach like Jimmy Valvano again; definitely one of, if not the most unique and inspiring coaches to be involved with in sports. He was inspiritational to many during his time, still is, and will always be.

  • Author

I could listen to him all night. I can see why those guys never quit, the assistant coach talking about how he couldn't repeat his pregame speech from the Houston game. He was so brash, talking about the 90 minute pratice without out a shot, they would shoot their first shot on Tuesday after the Monday night tip. It sounds like he got a bad deal from the NCAA.

I watched this one from beginning to end. One of the best 30-for-30s yet.

And appropriate that it's the 30-year anniversary.

We were watching the series "The Bible" on another channel but I did dvr this and look forward to watching it. Valvano was one of my all time favorite people as well as coaches.

Probably the best one I've seen in this series.

 

Jimmy V is the best listen of all time.

 

As someone said early in the doc, the ACC in the 80s was crazy good.

Probably the best one I've seen in this series.

 

Jimmy V is the best listen of all time.

 

As someone said early in the doc, the ACC in the 80s was crazy good.

Yes it was. Some NBA talent on that team despite being a lower seed. Obviously I do not remember that season, but I would suspect they had underperformed up until elimination time.
Yes it was. Some NBA talent on that team despite being a lower seed. Obviously I do not remember that season, but I would suspect they had underperformed up until elimination time.

 

I was amazed how they came out of the bottom to the top. There was no logical reason that they would beat UVA and Ralph Sampson again and definitely would not handle Phi Slamma Jamma. It was one of the two biggest upsets I ever recall in the NCAA Title Game. (The other to me was Villanova over a great Georgetown team)

Yes it was. Some NBA talent on that team despite being a lower seed. Obviously I do not remember that season, but I would suspect they had underperformed up until elimination time.

 

What had happened is that Whittenburg had gotten hurt for a few games. Once he got back the Wolfpack hit their stride and started pulling out all of those close games.

I was amazed how they came out of the bottom to the top. There was no logical reason that they would beat UVA and Ralph Sampson again and definitely would not handle Phi Slamma Jamma. It was one of the two biggest upsets I ever recall in the NCAA Title Game. (The other to me was Villanova over a great Georgetown team)

 

The Nova game was a bigger upset by number and seed line. I was shocked when I read yesterday on twitter than the largest championship point spread was UConn/Duke in '99 at 10 points.

What had happened is that Whittenburg had gotten hurt for a few games. Once he got back the Wolfpack hit their stride and started pulling out all of those close games.

I see. Not trying to discredit it but a lot of people I believe think it was just a collection of scrubs that brought home the title. Talent was not spread as thin as it is today.

All of the 30 for 30's have been good, but this one was great! The story, the inspiration, and the determination of Coach Jimmy V and those players was definitely remarkable. It was definitely a "shed a tear" kind of show. It was impression to see the impact that Jimmy V had on so many people for so many years, including his foundation. It is still hard to watch that 1993 ESPY speech without getting choked up.

 

To see his players talk so highly of him and Lorenzo Charles was great and to see them moved to tears with a simple reminiscing of a speech or moment was great to see. All coaches for all sports at all levels should try their hardest to imulate Coach Jimmy V.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.