Poythress the Biggest Disappointment This Year??

StickerMann

The expectations for Poythress were conjured up by the success of recent Freshman at UK, and not their true play. Same goes for Goodwin. The only top level recruit that was brought in was Noel, and he was doing his part. Poythress was seen as a fringe top 10 talent (Goodwin lower) so you can knock that down more spots compared to most years. A lot of people act as of he was a can't miss superstar. Not the case.

As mystifying as Poythress is, it is somewhat easy to see that he just doesn't play with enough energy. On the other hand, Goodwin is trying. How someone with his size, speed and quickness can be so bad defensively puzzles me more than what I see out of Poythress.

I agree with Goodwin. I think he will mature in to a nice player, but I do not question his effort.

The issue with these guys is that this class was atrocious. Since it was so bad, guys that would be 2-3 year players in most seasons are being looked to to lead the team. Goodwin and Poythress have zero business even considering the Draft, yet both will go and both will be drafted in the 1st round because the talent this year is so pathetic.

The expectations for Poythress were conjured up by the success of recent Freshman at UK, and not their true play. Same goes for Goodwin. The only top level recruit that was brought in was Noel, and he was doing his part. Poythress was seen as a fringe top 10 talent (Goodwin lower) so you can knock that down more spots compared to most years. A lot of people act as of he was a can't miss superstar. Not the case.

This...

As disappointing as he has been, as I posted in the UK / Florida thread, Poythress is the key to any possible success for UK. He has to play 25+ minutes for UK to win. Cal has to suck it up and leave him out there.

And yes, he is still projected as a top 15 NBA pick in every mock draft I checked.

Poythress spends much of the game standing in the corner, basically doing nothing. I wish they would put him down on the low block and force him into the action, although I'm not sure if even that would work or not. Hood appears to be a better rebounder than Poythress, which is mind boggling to me, but Poythress seems to have absolutely no feel for the game.