Poythress the Biggest Disappointment This Year??

StickerMann

I admittedly don't see every game or pretend to be an expert on all the teams in the country, but considering his ranking and hype coming in; is there a bigger incoming freshman disappointment in college ball this year than Alex Poythress?? Totally disappears for entire halves, plays extremely soft, repeats the same mistakes over & over, etc.

Really was convinced coming in to the season that he was "the real deal", and he seems to have all the tools; but it just isn't translating to play on the court. Was too much expected or is he underachieving??

I could probably make a similar argument for Goodwin, who my son favors for this "award"; because he feels "Goodwin actually hurts UK, while Poythress does little to nothing"??

If Goodwin was a top 10 Freshman coming in to this year anyone associated with the rankings should be fired. He and Wiltjer are tied for the worst 5-star basketball players I've ever seen. Poythress is a classic low-motor guy, brilliant in stretches, disappears for longer. He is at least talented, which I'm not convinced that Goodwin is (At a top 10 program level).

But being realistic. These guys are typical highly ranked freshmen. They are guys who needed to be in a smaller role to have success. UK is used to bringing in some of the best guys in each class that are stars. Wall, Cousins, Knight, Davis, MKG are the exceptions and not the rule. Typically teams that rely on Freshmen are not that good, so one out of four is odds that I'll take every year. Its not like there are a ton of guys who are that much better.

Smart or Bennett I'd gladly take and they'd make UK alot better. Muhammad is talented but who wants to deal with that baggage? Who else was there this year?

I admittedly don't see every game or pretend to be an expert on all the teams in the country, but considering his ranking and hype coming in; is there a bigger incoming freshman disappointment in college ball this year than Alex Poythress?? Totally disappears for entire halves, plays extremely soft, repeats the same mistakes over & over, etc. Really was convinced coming in to the season that he was "the real deal", and he seems to have all the tools; but it just isn't translating to play on the court. Was too much expected or is he underachieving??

You can add lazy, head not in the game, stands around flat footed,no excitement, you could go on and on.

Just an 8 hour layover. I got here at 9am and leave in an hour. Boarding my plane in the next 20 minutes. Got my beach, beers and burger and now it's time to go.:thumb:

Be Safe coming home.

I thought Poythress would be outstanding, so in my mind he's been the biggest disappointment. I imagined a season where he & Archie would be our only consistent offensive performers. While they lead the team in scoring, it's not happened in the way I envisioned it would.

When I look at pure athletic ability, Poythress is not far from Kidd Gilchrest. When I look at basketball court knowledge and skill, they are opposite ends of the spectrum.

That being said, if I was Coach Cal I would put Poythress on the floor and tell him to go play because he is not coming off the floor. UK has no shot without him so roll the dice and hope something clicks. Nothing to lose at this point.