Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NKY Pre-Season Coach's Poll

Featured Replies

Can I ask how Highlands is over rated if they only lost one starter?

  • Replies 56
  • Views 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Highlands will be very good. They can't be overrated like baseball4Life5 said they did only lose one started and the returning seniors are very good. Should be a great year for the birds.

Can I ask how Highlands is over rated if they only lost one starter?

 

Sure. All anyone seems to be remembering is the nice run they made at the end of the season. Very nice run, great job by some great kids. But remember, the majority of the season they were mediocre to good, as I suspect they will be again this year. Rating seniors who haven't played in a year or two or three as very good is a little suspect as well don't you think? If they get together and make another good run I'll gladly give them their due. As I said, JB is a great coach and might well get them back to the Regional final, but right now, I just don't see it. Nothing against anyone or anything, just how I see it.

Sure. All anyone seems to be remembering is the nice run they made at the end of the season. Very nice run, great job by some great kids. But remember, the majority of the season they were mediocre to good, as I suspect they will be again this year. Rating seniors who haven't played in a year or two or three as very good is a little suspect as well don't you think? If they get together and make another good run I'll gladly give them their due. As I said, JB is a great coach and might well get them back to the Regional final, but right now, I just don't see it. Nothing against anyone or anything, just how I see it.

 

Just a quick data point -- 6 of the 9 SRs on the team have played each and every year. 1 of the 9 SRs took a year off (and played some summer ball after the last HS season he played). 2 of the 9 SRs are new to the program and will be valuable assets in many ways.

 

Starting 2B, SS and 2 of the 3 starting pitchers for the Regional games are underclassmen that contributed mightily during the stretch run last year. (The 3rd SP is a SR referenced above.)

 

That said, Papa Bear is correct. If they didn't learn anything from the late season surge of 2012, and play like they did in the opening 1/2 of last season, they will certainly qualify as "over rated."

 

As they say, that is why they play the games!!!

1. NC

2. Conner

3. Ryle

4. Highlands

5. Cooper

6. CCH

7. Campbell County

8. Scott

9. Dixie

10. Holy Cross

For what it is worth.I watch more HS Baseball than anyone should but here is my preseason top 10 Please take note 9th region only.

 

1. Conner

2. NCC

3. Highlands

4. Cooper

5. Ryle

6. Cov Cath.

7. Beechwood

8. Holy Cross

9.Lloyd

10.Boone

For what it is worth.I watch more HS Baseball than anyone should but here is my preseason top 10 Please take note 9th region only.

 

1. Conner

2. NCC

3. Highlands

4. Cooper

5. Ryle

6. Cov Cath.

7. Beechwood

8. Holy Cross

9.Lloyd

10.Boone

Can't argue with any of that. I think there are about 7 teams that can beat eachother up on any given day.

2 things,

 

1. Is it the coaches who voted fault that the other coaches didn't take part?

 

&

 

2. Who cares? It's a pre season poll which means nothing.

Absolutely

It always surprised me Holmes didn't field a better baseball team. There are so many good athletes at that school.

 

We forget that backin the 80's Holmes was probably te biggest school around. Class of 84 was 400+.

 

Also, whenI was growing up in Covington, there were at least a half dozen or more knothole teams. I wonder how many there are today.

Sure. All anyone seems to be remembering is the nice run they made at the end of the season. Very nice run, great job by some great kids. But remember, the majority of the season they were mediocre to good, as I suspect they will be again this year. Rating seniors who haven't played in a year or two or three as very good is a little suspect as well don't you think? If they get together and make another good run I'll gladly give them their due. As I said, JB is a great coach and might well get them back to the Regional final, but right now, I just don't see it. Nothing against anyone or anything, just how I see it.

 

During the regular season Highlands will take their lumps for one reason, the depth of the pitching isn't there compared to most teams. They have solid guys in Jones, Murray, Shultz, and Cochran but it falls off from there. With Murray catching most of the games he wont pitch except for a handful of games before the postseason. So really they will have 3 very good varsity pitchers during the regular season.

 

The rotation though is great for a postseason run like last year because with the way the games are spread out and the fact that those top 4 can match up with any pitcher in the 9th region and hold their own.

 

Be patient with this team early but late in the year, a lot like last year, they will be extremely dangerous to make a run.

Sure. All anyone seems to be remembering is the nice run they made at the end of the season. Very nice run, great job by some great kids. But remember, the majority of the season they were mediocre to good, as I suspect they will be again this year. Rating seniors who haven't played in a year or two or three as very good is a little suspect as well don't you think? If they get together and make another good run I'll gladly give them their due. As I said, JB is a great coach and might well get them back to the Regional final, but right now, I just don't see it. Nothing against anyone or anything, just how I see it.

They have one thing returning that no one other team does and that's their ENTIRE pitching staff. They all have great experience and will really help the Birds this year

I wouldn't overlook Brossart, Boone, Bellevue or St. Henry. Just sayin'.

Agree!! St Henry and Brossart are two very good teams. St Henry has 5 seasoned players, one that throws close to 90.

Agree!! St Henry and Brossart are two very good teams. St Henry has 5 seasoned players, one that throws close to 90.

 

How close to 90? It always amazes me the amount if people that say a kid throws close to 90. I'd say the avg 9th region pitcher throws around 80. If there were as many kids throwing 90 as people say there would be 10 D1 pitchers a year in the 9th region...

I would bet the average is below 80.

 

I suspect what happens a lot is a kid got clocked throwing one pitch at 88 but "pitches" at 81-84 or something like that. So now people claim he throws high 80s or near 90.

How close to 90? It always amazes me the amount if people that say a kid throws close to 90. I'd say the avg 9th region pitcher throws around 80. If there were as many kids throwing 90 as people say there would be 10 D1 pitchers a year in the 9th region...

I wish people would stop with this 90 stuff.I can tell you for FACT St. Henry does not have anyone that throws 90.There is 1 kid that comes close in the 9th region and he plays for Cooper.END OF STORY!!!!!

They have one thing returning that no one other team does and that's their ENTIRE pitching staff. They all have great experience and will really help the Birds this year

 

I'm not sure about others but I know Cooper has every returning pitcher back as well.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.