Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NKY Pre-Season Coach's Poll

Featured Replies

  • Author
I would bet the average is below 80.

 

I suspect what happens a lot is a kid got clocked throwing one pitch at 88 but "pitches" at 81-84 or something like that. So now people claim he throws high 80s or near 90.

 

You.Be.Correct.

  • Replies 56
  • Views 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You forgot the Bulldogs..oh, my bad...this is baseball. Have not seen a good baseball team since...um...the 80's :isurrender:

 

I know the 83 team lost to Lloyd in region finals...has there not been another Holmes team make the final since then?

I would bet the average is below 80.

 

I suspect what happens a lot is a kid got clocked throwing one pitch at 88 but "pitches" at 81-84 or something like that. So now people claim he throws high 80s or near 90.

 

He was clocked at 89 but he consistantly throws 85-86

BlueTip I would say your being generous on the 80 call actually. :clap: Most of the "Flame Throwers" around here are between 82-84 best. Like Bluebird man said, there is only one that pushes above the mid 80's mark consistanly, and yes he is from Cooper like he said.

 

I would bet the average is below 80.

 

I suspect what happens a lot is a kid got clocked throwing one pitch at 88 but "pitches" at 81-84 or something like that. So now people claim he throws high 80s or near 90.

My general rule of thumb is to immediately subtract 5 mph from any estimate I hear from a parent/team supporter.

My general rule of thumb is to immediately subtract 5 mph from any estimate I hear from a parent/team supporter.

 

And add .3 seconds to any forty time you hear coming from the same parents/team supporters. :sssh:

And add .3 seconds to any forty time you hear coming from the same parents/team supporters. :sssh:

 

and ADD 10 lbs to any weight I give you for myself. I'm currently at 195.

lol!!!! bluetip and cooperstown are so right about mph,and speed times of players.be it coming from players,coaches and.......PARENTS!!!!

as someone who has been coaching h.s. baseball for well over ten years,it amazes me how much importance is put on mph and speed. numbers!!!! that's all they are. i tell my guy's "you don't have to throw hard to get people out". give me a kid that can play the game.... a "ball player",any day,and i will usually beat you. just my thoughts. good luck to all the teams this year.

lol!!!! bluetip and cooperstown are so right about mph,and speed times of players.be it coming from players,coaches and.......PARENTS!!!!

as someone who has been coaching h.s. baseball for well over ten years,it amazes me how much importance is put on mph and speed. numbers!!!! that's all they are. i tell my guy's "you don't have to throw hard to get people out". give me a kid that can play the game.... a "ball player",any day,and i will usually beat you. just my thoughts. good luck to all the teams this year.

 

 

Correct you are!

 

Give me a kid who can spot pitch and understands how to pitch, over a thrower any day of the week. The throwers never seem to get it, that their are player out there who love to see them on the hump but pitchers, those who can paint the corners, move the ball up and down and all around the plate and can change speeds without changing their motion, make the sluggers weep and cry!

We forget that backin the 80's Holmes was probably te biggest school around. Class of 84 was 400+.

 

Also, whenI was growing up in Covington, there were at least a half dozen or more knothole teams. I wonder how many there are today.

 

I would say only 2 left , Cottage and LYC . You could count Hut AC some, but most of them come from Independence and Taylor Mill area.

My thoughts on NKY teams based on what I saw last year and know this year (which isn't saying much :lol2:). Please note that these are not rankings nor am I saying these teams are better than any others. These are merely my observations and thoughts. (I feel like this is a disclaimer and I should add "side effects may vary" :idunno:)

 

-NCC: Has to be number one based on what they've accomplished the last few years and the type of program Coach Schulkens have. They have won 3 of the last 5 (I think that is right) freshmen regional titles so that is an indication of the talent they have. The past two varsity regional titles and 3 of the last 5 is impressive. They return a lot of good players (Bartels, Cain, D. Pangallo, Collopy and others) and will contend for another regional title this year.

-Cooper: Coach Bieger returns a very good pitching staff anchored by AJ Collins. They return some very good hitters as well.

-Cov Cath: Young and may take some lumps early on but Krumps always has them ready to play by the end of the year.

-Conner: The downside to Conner may be that they play in the same district as Cooper and Ryle. The plus side is that they return Mains, Fogle and Padgett along with some other good players. Arlo I'm sure will get them ready to play. I'll be able to judge them more when I see them Saturday.

-Dixie: Like Cov Cath they are young. There is good talent there but getting them to get accustomed to varsity play may take some time. If pitchers step up will be the real key. Defensively they will be solid. Hitting will take some time for the younger kids to adjust too but they should be okay by the time it counts.

CCH actually isn't that young in age....they have 7 Seniors (usually starting 5 depending on pitching) and the rest are juniors with only one soph........

 

I would agree that they are "young" in HS Varsity experience. Only one returning with significant experience......all others have been around, but with last years graduatng class being so deep, they didn't see much time. Most did, however, play high level summer ball for the past few years.......

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.