Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Two Sports--Pressure to choose?

Featured Replies

Have a 7th grader who plays basketball and soccer. He loves both---and does very well at both. Three day a week winter training for club soccer began in mid-January. Basketball season tourneys still going on. Missed a couple soccer practices for basketball games, and soccer coaches not happy. Soccer coaches pressuring to choose.

 

At the middle school level, do you have to choose?

Edited by hoops5

  • Replies 47
  • Views 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No you do not have to choose. What level of club soccer are we talking about here? There are plenty of soccer clubs around the area that are more than willing to allow kids to play winter sports when soccer is not "in season". Again a situation of kids being forced to focus on one thing rather than enjoying the middle/high school experience where you only live once.

If he loves both sports (and I can attest the kid can play basketball) then maybe he needs a new soccer program. He'll still develop and still be good enough to play high school soccer.

  • Author
No you do not have to choose. What level of club soccer are we talking about here? There are plenty of soccer clubs around the area that are more than willing to allow kids to play winter sports when soccer is not "in season". Again a situation of kids being forced to focus on one thing rather than enjoying the middle/high school experience where you only live once.

 

Thanks, Jack. I'm thinking the same. I agree that there are plenty of other clubs who would love to have him AND would love to have our money. :lol:

No you do not have to choose. What level of club soccer are we talking about here? There are plenty of soccer clubs around the area that are more than willing to allow kids to play winter sports when soccer is not "in season". Again a situation of kids being forced to focus on one thing rather than enjoying the middle/high school experience where you only live once.

 

I have a daughter so I can't say boys are the same but at high level soccer they don't allow you to miss for just about anything. Not right but you know how soccer people, and soccer is almost always in season. My kid choose softball over soccer for that reason. Worked out for her, she got to play travel softball all the time was still able to play HS soccer and even had a ton of opportunities to guest play with soccer teams and I did't have to pay all those damn fees!

Just another reason to hate soccer! He is a kid, let him do both if he wants to!

As long as he is clear to both coaches on what team his priority is and the other accepts that decision to have a part time player, than they can peacefully co exist.

  • Author
I have a daughter so I can't say boys are the same but at high level soccer they don't allow you to miss for just about anything. Not right but you know how soccer people, and soccer is almost always in season. My kid choose softball over soccer for that reason. Worked out for her, she got to play travel softball all the time was still able to play HS soccer and even had a ton of opportunities to guest play with soccer teams and I did't have to pay all those damn fees!

 

:thumb:

Why is it so intense with Club Soccer? I have my own theory. I think that this is the main bread and butter for many club soccer coaches. So their pay (which is our fees) is based on how well the club performs, hence the pressure on attendance.

:thumb:

Why is it so intense with Club Soccer? I have my own theory. I think that this is the main bread and butter for many club soccer coaches. So their pay (which is our fees) is based on how well the club performs, hence the pressure on attendance.

 

I would say that and a whole lot more. There is a big club merger every year in the area and money has to be one of the main reasons. I am sure clubs wants to do well bc I believe scholarships are as much about relationships as they are about players skills. So if the Clubs top teams are doing well colleges will contunie to come back and recruit their kids.

My simple basic rule on this is games take precedent over practices. If a coach doesn't understand that, I look for another coach/program. That pressure goes both ways if your kid is a good player. I am sure the coach doesn't want your child to leave his soccer program. Seventh grade is too early to be forced into making choices IMO. That will most likely happen naturally around freshman year.

My simple basic rule on this is games take precedent over practices. If a coach doesn't understand that, I look for another coach/program. That pressure goes both ways if your kid is a good player. I am sure the coach doesn't want your child to leave his soccer program. Seventh grade is too early to be forced into making choices IMO. That will most likely happen naturally around freshman year.

 

Well you are the Voice or Reason and that makes sense to me but most don't see it that way. My kid was expected to miss varisty HS softball games over soccer practice when she was in 7th an 8th grades.

Well you are the Voice or Reason and that makes sense to me but most don't see it that way. My kid was expected to miss varisty HS softball games over soccer practice when she was in 7th an 8th grades.

 

That would have turned me off.

That would have turned me off.

 

And for some reason, I hear Allen Iverson in my head.

Wouldn't it make more sense if all club, AAU and select was played in the summer time?That way a kid could play any sport during school and be forced to choose in the summer whether to play club, AAU or select. Am I missing something else?

Wouldn't it make more sense if all club, AAU and select was played in the summer time?That way a kid could play any sport during school and be forced to choose in the summer whether to play club, AAU or select. Am I missing something else?

 

Can't make as much money that way. These facilites like Town and Country have huge over head. They would do what ever it takes to keep kids in there as much as possible all year. I like the idea though

Well you are the Voice or Reason and that makes sense to me but most don't see it that way. My kid was expected to miss varisty HS softball games over soccer practice when she was in 7th an 8th grades.

 

Hopefully there are other soccer programs available as an alternative. In your situation, I look into them to see if they are an option for my child. If yes, then I have a conversation with the soccer coach and say we are considering moving to another program and let them know why. I hear what you are saying about "making sense". There is a lot of tunnel vision with coaches, other parents and players that make these situations much more difficult than they should be. That 7th grade AAU tournament title seems awful important now but it doesn't mean squat in just a few years. Too much focus on winning over development in these younger age groups.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.