Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NKU won me over!

Featured Replies

They haven't released the schedule but you can count on West Virginia. That makes the most sense with the Huggins connection of one of the assistants (that assistant also told me it was a near certainty).

 

Former NKU player Kevin Schappell is a coach with NKU and he was with Huggs on WVU's staff. At one time he was dating Huggs' daughter. When NKU beat WVU in an exhibition game Huggs took the entire NKU staff out to dinner afterwards.

  • Replies 74
  • Views 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just for kicks, I looked up NKU's RPI ... yes, NKU has an RPI ... isn't that fun?

 

RPI 269 with their best win over Mercer, RPI 129.

 

There are 347 D1 schools so NKU is already ahead of almost 100 of them in year 1. Here are recognizable names that trail NKU in RPI ... Miami (OH), Monmouth, Penn, Dartmouth, Alcorn St., Navy, Old Dominion, Austin Peay, Rice, Hofstra, Northern Illinois, Furman, to name a few.

I'm telling you, by the time they're eligible to play in the post-season they'll be dominating the A-Sun. Really can't see them being there all that long. I would imagine they'll look to move up as soon as it's plausible to do so.

I agree UKM. Great arena/facilities, school located in a metropolitan area but not urban so it will appeal to virtually every recruit, solid program history, et. al.

I'm telling you, by the time they're eligible to play in the post-season they'll be dominating the A-Sun. Really can't see them being there all that long. I would imagine they'll look to move up as soon as it's plausible to do so.

 

I am not as optimistic. I think NKU will eventually get there but the "probation" period before being allowed in post season play really hampers recruiting in the next couple of years. If a kid has a NKU offer he/she probably has a similar offer D1 from a school that does have the opportunity to play in the post season. I could see NKU tailing off a bit in the next couple of years and then maybe 2 or 3 years after the probation ends being a legit contender for the A-Sun berth.

I also do not see much room for them to move up. Maybe a lateral movement to a conference that may qualify for more than the automatic berth. But really where is that? Is the MAC all that much better recruiting-wise than playing away games to Florida, Georgia, SCar? Maybe draw more fans for games. Is the Horizon any better? What's left of the A-10? The remnants of what was the Big East?

I am not as optimistic. I think NKU will eventually get there but the "probation" period before being allowed in post season play really hampers recruiting in the next couple of years. If a kid has a NKU offer he/she probably has a similar offer D1 from a school that does have the opportunity to play in the post season. I could see NKU tailing off a bit in the next couple of years and then maybe 2 or 3 years after the probation ends being a legit contender for the A-Sun berth.

I also do not see much room for them to move up. Maybe a lateral movement to a conference that may qualify for more than the automatic berth. But really where is that? Is the MAC all that much better recruiting-wise than playing away games to Florida, Georgia, SCar? Maybe draw more fans for games. Is the Horizon any better? What's left of the A-10? The remnants of what was the Big East?

 

To answer your question, almost anywhere is better. The A-Sun is one of the worst handful of conferences in the country year-in, year-out. I have no doubt in my mind they'll be able to draw some solid local talent that would've previously went elsewhere because they wanted to play D1.

To answer your question, almost anywhere is better. The A-Sun is one of the worst handful of conferences in the country year-in, year-out. I have no doubt in my mind they'll be able to draw some solid local talent that would've previously went elsewhere because they wanted to play D1.

 

Maybe. Guess the next couple years will tell. I just think some kids may use NKU as a fallback if a better D1 offer does not come. If it comes then it is sorry NKU. But only for the next couple of years.

 

As for conferences unless NKU moves to a conference that annually receives multiple bids.........whats wrong with being in a good team in a bad one bid conference? And one that travels to Florida, Goergia, S. Car and not to S. Dakota, Iowa, Wisconsin?

I'm telling you, by the time they're eligible to play in the post-season they'll be dominating the A-Sun. Really can't see them being there all that long. I would imagine they'll look to move up as soon as it's plausible to do so.

 

Talked to someone who is extremely "in the know" last night and this is exactly what he was saying. Good chance they head to the Horizon league.

 

Also doesn't look like WVU is coming to Highland Heights.

Former NKU player Kevin Schappell is a coach with NKU and he was with Huggs on WVU's staff. At one time he was dating Huggs' daughter. When NKU beat WVU in an exhibition game Huggs took the entire NKU staff out to dinner afterwards.

 

Huggins will be at his wedding too.

Also, I forgot to add yesterday. I was told that home games for next year will include Navy and San Diego (not SD State). There was a third that was mentioned but I can't remember.

Talked to someone who is extremely "in the know" last night and this is exactly what he was saying. Good chance they head to the Horizon league.

 

Also doesn't look like WVU is coming to Highland Heights.

 

I think that would be a mistake. The Horizon League days of being a multi-bid league have passed. And a couple of teams in the Horizon would jump at the chance to join the Catholic schools in the Big East leaving it a mess.

I think that would be a mistake. The Horizon League days of being a multi-bid league have passed. And a couple of teams in the Horizon would jump at the chance to join the Catholic schools in the Big East leaving it a mess.

 

I think its like what others have said...anything is better than the Atlantic Sun.

 

Travel costs for all teams are probably going to be a lot better in any many others conferences than the Atlantic Sun.

  • Author

I'm hearing there is a push for a new coaching staff, didn't catch if they meant this coming year or the following year.

I still think the four year probation period is a stiff price to pay. Recruiting will be different, and those D1 transfers that have elevated the program won't be available.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.