School says Students’ Use of “USA USA” Chant is Racist

theguru

A Texas school district has filed a complaint alleging that students from a rival school engaged in racism by chanting “USA, USA” at a basketball game. The students involved in the incident were reprimanded and forced to apologize.

The San Antonio Independent School District filed the complaint with the University Interscholastic League, the governing body for athletics in Texas. They allege that students at Alamo Heights High School began chanting “USA, USA” after they defeated Edison High School to win a region basketball championship.

Edison’s team is predominantly Hispanic, said Leslie Price, a spokesperson for the San Antonio ISD.

“The implication as they are not American citizens,” Price told Fox News. “We understand competiveness and rivalry, but you need to choose your words and think about the meaning behind them.”

Price said she believes the “USA, USA” chant was racially motivated.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also from the article:

“That might be chanted at international soccer games,” she said. “But this is not a chant that these students chant at all of their basketball games. It was selective.”

================================

I guess student sections need a standardized list of approved cheers...

I feel like avoiding racially motivated chants is a low hurdle to clear. Unless there's more to the story these kids were right to apologize and hopefully learned something.

Also from the article:

“That might be chanted at international soccer games,” she said. “But this is not a chant that these students chant at all of their basketball games. It was selective.”

================================

So, it's a racist chant, unless there are playing a team from another country? Got it!

This is more garbage from schools, I don't care if the school was all hispanic, you are not, and should not stop a chant of USA!

So, it's a racist chant, unless there are playing a team from another country? Got it!

This is more garbage from schools, I don't care if the school was all hispanic, you are not, and should not stop a chant of USA!

Seriously, they were playing other American citizens and bashing their ethnicity? It is not ok to do that to other ethnic groups, why is it ok here?

If I'm reading the bolded correctly it seems you too are implying Hispanic students are not Americans.

If they chant it every game, even against predominately white teams, than it is OK.

If they only did it because they were facing a Hispanic school, than I see it as racist.

Also I hope the other school is not one of those schools that fly a Mexico flag on their flag pole. I've heard of that issue a few times in Cali. and Texas.

Seriously, they were playing other American citizens and bashing their ethnicity? It is not ok to do that to other ethnic groups, why is it ok here?

Then what's next? Can't sing the national anthem? Seriously, they are on American soil, if they do indead consider themselves American, then they won't see it as offensive. Just how is chanting USA "bashing" anyone?

If I'm reading the bolded correctly it seems you too are implying Hispanic students are not Americans.

No, you are trying to read too much into it, I said "ALL" as the article said the school was predominantly Hispanic. It doesn't matter how many Hispanics are in a school, they are in the US, the chant should be OK!