Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rolen wants to return to Reds

Featured Replies

Nooooo let Engelbert Humperdink start singing "PLEASE RELEASE HIM ...LET HIM GO!!!" Grandpa Rolen HAS been a great player. Let's not take away from Frazier and Hanrahan. Baker is scary with someone like Rolen. He'll put him in the lineup "to keep the juices flowing," bat him against a great pitcher because of his "vast experience," and use him for defense here in the golden years. Rolen should be in the Hall of Fame probably BUT in 5 Years, Scotty don't make us wait six retire now. Remember Pete Rose's last year and that great .219 batting average. :ohbrother::idunno::confused:

 

I think he's a clubhouse asset in a big way. Toss him a one year deal...if he ends up with a batting average in the tanker, then leave him to sit in the dugout and stick with one of your other two big game big bat third basement.

  • Replies 55
  • Views 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author

Love Rolen. He could not play 1 game, and still be more valuable to the club than some of the guys they signed to be possible bench players.

Love Rolen. He could not play 1 game, and still be more valuable to the club than some of the guys they signed to be possible bench players.

 

I agree with that. However, I think that if he's there, you may get some quality leadership, professionalism. But at the same time, I'd rather pass the torch to BP, Bruce, Votto and move forward.

I agree with that. However, I think that if he's there, you may get some quality leadership, professionalism. But at the same time, I'd rather pass the torch to BP, Bruce, Votto and move forward.

 

Love Rolen.

 

My concern is that the bench may become very thin on middle infielders. What was a great defensive team now has no true center fielder and no backup shortstop to protect a player who has two stints on the DL in just over one season.

Love Rolen.

 

My concern is that the bench may become very thin on middle infielders. What was a great defensive team now has no true center fielder and no backup shortstop to protect a player who has two stints on the DL in just over one season.

So, are you in favor of Rolen coming back then because he's no middle infielder, or someone else?

So, are you in favor of Rolen coming back then because he's no middle infielder, or someone else?

 

I am torn on this one. I think if Jockety knew he was coming back he may have structured the bench differently. As it stands with Rolen there likely is no backup SS. I kind of blame Rolen for stringing this out so long, but I believe the leadership that he provides is invaluable.

 

I guess it's best to bring him back, and make adjustments to the bench in season if necessary. How's that for fence sitting?

I agree with that. However, I think that if he's there, you may get some quality leadership, professionalism. But at the same time, I'd rather pass the torch to BP, Bruce, Votto and move forward.

 

Dude, if those three can't assume the leadership role with a 56 year old bench player on the team they definitely need to keep Rolen.

So, you think he's still serviceable? For 162? Available to PH late, spell Frazier once a week? I have my doubts.

So, you think he's still serviceable? For 162? Available to PH late, spell Frazier once a week? I have my doubts.

 

162? No, my point was that if those three everyday players and perennial all-stars can't find their way into the leadership role because Rolen is there pinch-hitting or playing one day a week, they never will.

 

I see a day game guy who is one of the first pinch hitters off the bench, in most situations.

162? No, my point was that if those three everyday players and perennial all-stars can't find their way into the leadership role because Rolen is there pinch-hitting or playing one day a week, they never will.

 

I see a day game guy who is one of the first pinch hitters off the bench, in most situations.

Well, I hope you're right. what I see is a guy clinging on a post-season hope/prayer. I hope that if this happens, he is serious enough about his conditioning (not that he hasn't been) because when a body approaches his age (I've been there) it's doubly tough to get in shape enough to withstand the grind, whether or not he's an everyday player.

 

What I fear is that somewhere around the all-star break he'll have an extended DL stint.

For his veteran leadership role, you'd like to keep him. However, even if he is not there, you do still have Votto, Phillips and Bruce, who should be able to take over the reins.

But, for all the other aspects...I say keep him IF...

- you feel that by not being a starter, he has a MUCH greater chance of staying healthy throughout the season...

- by being healthy, his offensive numbers will improve from what they've been

- you think he can adjust to being a PH or once-a-week starter...

- you are not overly confident with the rest of your bench as it currently is

- Neither Soto or Lutz are expected to make it out of Goodyear as a backup for Votto (yes, I know Rolen has never played first base...but, that's part of what the Dodgers were looking at him for)

Rennie Stennet.

Rolen is a year younger...
:lol::lol:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.