Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What is the archaic rule of unable to dunk after refs show up?

Featured Replies

Are we that far off from the beginning of basketball that this rule cannot be changed and the ref toss a up a "T" for the team caught dunking during warm ups. That's why they call it warm ups. Help me out here. Clyde,Walter,Parker explain. Curious?

  • Replies 77
  • Views 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure that this rule is there to set right some HORRIBLE "wrong", but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is.

I have no idea, to tell you the truth.

 

I don't know a lot about rules & officiating. I just know how to yell at officials.

It was done to keep the equipment and the kids from getting broken/hurt!

I guess they'd argue it's a safety issue.

 

I don't think it's necessary nor would have a negative effect if it was lifted.

 

Notice a lot of the officials coming in at 15:00 with the heads down so they can say they didn't see a kid dunking. No one wants to start the game with a T.

^ Yep. And plenty of dunking until about 15:30 before game time.

^ Yep. And plenty of dunking until about 15:30 before game time.

 

..and I've never seen a kid get hurt.

It was done to keep the equipment and the kids from getting broken/hurt!

That is exactly right. During warm-ups kids were trying to dunk that couldn't and were breaking rims, but more importantly hurting themselves. The rules committee used to prohibit dunking all the time, even during games. The decision was made to allow it during games, assuming only players who could do it would try because much more was at stake. If you have ever seen a player try to dunk and get the ball hung up on the rim while his body continue to move from under him and he lands flat on his back you would understand.

That is exactly right. During warm-ups kids were trying to dunk that couldn't and were breaking rims, but more importantly hurting themselves. The rules committee used to prohibit dunking all the time, even during games. The decision was made to allow it during games, assuming only players who could do it would try because much more was at stake. If you have ever seen a player try to dunk and get the ball hung up on the rim while his body continue to move from under him and he lands flat on his back you would understand.

 

I've been to games since the 70s. ONCE I saw a kid break a backboard. I've never seen a kid get hurt.

I guess they'd argue it's a safety issue.

 

I don't think it's necessary nor would have a negative effect if it was lifted.

 

Notice a lot of the officials coming in at 15:00 with the heads down so they can say they didn't see a kid dunking. No one wants to start the game with a T.

 

The second half of the Mason-Pendleton game on Friday started with a T on Pendleton for dunking at halftime warmups. I heard that Mason's coach pointed it out to the game officials. There was no controversy or argument but would the officials have to view this with their own eyes? Maybe someone who knows exactly how things developed on that can enlighten us.

I've been to games since the 70s. ONCE I saw a kid break a backboard. I've never seen a kid get hurt.

 

Clyde have to agree with Front of the rim on this one, as I have seen kids hurt and in fact saw a kid break his leg (it wasn't pretty) in a scrimmage game at Lou St. X a couple of years ago just after we won a game and were on our way out!

Yep, I've seen a few kids get "rim stuffed" as some call it....It's not pretty if they don't get their legs back under them.

 

But I do like to watch the kids dunk and wish they would do away with the rule.

I've shattered several backboards on accident. It's embarrassing to have to reschedule the game because of it. Grandmas from the opposing team have said some hurtful, harsh things to me afterwards. It's a good rule to have in place to protect players today from the boomin grannies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.