January 18, 201313 yr Work with me if I am using an incorrect term. You know what I am asking. I am not a gun person. I am like the clear majority of the people in this country who aren't gun savvy. If you mean a semi auto rifle then the answer would be 15, I pretty sure. I can't think of any handgun that has a stock clip that holds more than 15 rounds. Remember, automatic means you depress the trigger and the gun will fire until you release the trigger. Semi auto you get one shot when you depress the trigger. Automatic weapons can be purchased if they were made prior to 1984 (I believe) and with a lot of hassle. You have to apply for a $200 stamp, and I believe your local sheriff has to OK it, and you have to go through a bunch of red tape and paper work. In theory it's easy to own one, in reality not so much. Not to mention an automatic gun cost will start around $10,000.
January 18, 201313 yr The bottom line with pistols is this, the wider the grip the more the clip within it will hold. My Kimber 1911 is slender and holds 7 rds of .45 ammo. I just purchased a Taurus .45 that is "fatter" at the grip and the clip for that one will hold 12. Neither extends beyond the bottom of the grip. My feeling is that if you have a magazine (clip) in a pistol that is contained within the pistol grip, it should be legal. If you mean a semi auto rifle then the answer would be 15, I pretty sure. I can't think of any handgun that has a stock clip that holds more than 15 rounds. Remember, automatic means you depress the trigger and the gun will fire until you release the trigger. Semi auto you get one shot when you depress the trigger. Automatic weapons can be purchased if they were made prior to 1984 (I believe) and with a lot of hassle. You have to apply for a $200 stamp, and I believe your local sheriff has to OK it, and you have to go through a bunch of red tape and paper work. In theory it's easy to own one, in reality not so much. Not to mention an automatic gun cost will start around $10,000. Thnaks for the education guys. Based on the above info, I am OK with a clip limit of 12. I don't think it should be less than 10.
January 18, 201313 yr No clip limit, I should be allowed to own what ever guns I want, and as much ammo as I want.
January 18, 201313 yr Author Thnaks for the education guys. Based on the above info, I am OK with a clip limit of 12. I don't think it should be less than 10. A Glock 17 Holds 17 rds in its base factory clip that is completely in the handle.
January 19, 201313 yr Can anyone show where a limited magazine capacity reduced or prevented deaths? The evidence is not there that limiting magazine capacity limits homicides - individually or en-mass. As far as overall rounds available - Whatever the Citizen wants.
January 20, 201313 yr Can anyone show where a limited magazine capacity reduced or prevented deaths? The evidence is not there that limiting magazine capacity limits homicides - individually or en-mass. As far as overall rounds available - Whatever the Citizen wants. Common sense tells me if someone has to stop to change clips, it provides an opportunity for action to anyone under fire. Even if it is just a couple seconds, that is a couple seconds I wouldn't have versus someone with a 20, 30, 50 , etc clip. In addition, the problem I and other people have is finding some reason why anyone needs a clip that holds 15+ rounds. Educate me some more - why does anyone need a gun that holds 15+ rounds?
January 20, 201313 yr Common sense tells me if someone has to stop to change clips, it provides an opportunity for action to anyone under fire. Even if it is just a couple seconds, that is a couple seconds I wouldn't have versus someone with a 20, 30, 50 , etc clip. In addition, the problem I and other people have is finding some reason why anyone needs a clip that holds 15+ rounds. Educate me some more - why does anyone need a gun that holds 15+ rounds? This point is brought up all of the time. Has there been a lot of people escape shootings during the changing of magazines? There may have been but I couldn't find any. But this seems to always be the argument for smaller magazines, even though a miniscule amount of murders are committed by magazine fed rifles. Why does anyone need a gun that hold 15+ rounds? I for one, hate reloading at the shooting range. You ever load a magazine?, not the most enjoyable part of shooting by any stretch. The whole issue about magazine size is nothing more then a bunch of bluster by people wanting to sound like they have an answer to the issues of gun violence. In the case in Sandy Hook he could have had a bolt action rifle, but once he got into a closed room with one adult and a bunch of little kids it didn't matter how quickly he could reload or how big his magazine was. While tragic beyond imagination this is a case of a broken mental health care system, not about the type gun or size of magazines.
January 20, 201313 yr One of mine has a 12 round mag and the other 15. If multiple people break into your home, how many of them are going to stand still and wait for you to reload after you hit the first one?
January 20, 201313 yr Common sense tells me if someone has to stop to change clips, it provides an opportunity for action to anyone under fire. Even if it is just a couple seconds, that is a couple seconds I wouldn't have versus someone with a 20, 30, 50 , etc clip. In addition, the problem I and other people have is finding some reason why anyone needs a clip that holds 15+ rounds. Educate me some more - why does anyone need a gun that holds 15+ rounds? Changing magazines (different from clips) takes 2-3 seconds. In video below the change is 3 seconds or less with out dis-engaging. The change starts at 15 and he is firing again at 18 seconds. And this is confirmed by Suzanne Gupta's congressional testimony. As she says - it takes 2 seconds - she has been there. As for why more than 15. 1. What is the limit on home invaders? 1, 2, 4, 6...more. Here is a recent story of 4 home invaders. 15 rounds means 4 rounds per invader. As we saw from the woman who defended herself and her children in the Atlanta area - she put 5 or 6 rounds into the invader and he was still an active threat. She simply ran out of rounds. 3 wounded, one intruder dead in Sacramento home invasion | News - KCRA Home 2. Protection while hiking and camping from bears and other dangerous animals. Some like to hike and camp in very remote places where they have to defend themselves against any possible threat. This mainly includes bears. Without a rifle with lots of rounds a hiker/camper may easily be a meal - especially in grizzly territory. An AR with at least 30 rounds would make a lot of sense here. Having to switch magazines in this situation may be where the 2 or 3 seconds count. Camper Killed in Montana Bear Attack - Campsite hit at dead of night Michigan man killed by grizzly in Yellowstone - US news - Life | NBC News. 3. Vermit hunting. Rats, coyotes, etc. can cause trouble on a farm. So they are hunted purely due to their nuisance issues. You can go through a lot of rounds. Why is it necessary to carry multiple magazines. 4. Standoff defense in riot situations. Look at the Koreans defending their property and life with large capacity semi-automatic rifles in the LA riots. No police, no government provided protection. Nothing. Just them and a mob. Their ability to show and act with higher capacity rifles kept rioters and mobs at bay - and probably save lives. The theory of reduced magazines having any impact on deaths in a single event has never been proven or shown in a real event. 20-30 capacity magazines have been very common in the last decade. So there are already 100s of thousands of them out there,if not more. They will not go away. And they have a use. So making them illegal will only turn law abiding Citizens into criminals as NY has done.
January 20, 201313 yr I am sorry, but almost all those arguments are about it being inconvenient to have to switch clips. I don't by the home invader argument. I make the trade to smaller clips if the debate is protection against a gang home invasion versus making it more difficult for mass murderers. Recent history shows more likelihood of a mass murder than a mass home invasion of an innocent person. On gun control, I am in favor of finding the right balance in access to guns. I am in favor of as much freedom in gun ownership as common sense public safety will allow. With those principals, I think a clip limit of 15 or less makes sense and is not a denial of my 2nd Amendment rights.
January 20, 201313 yr It won't matter if you limit magazines or not. A redneck with any clue about metal work will have a clip to hold as many as he wants with a week of giving up the one he bought at the pawn shop. Us rednecks are a thrifty and ingenious bunch. Wouldn't take much to fab. You get caught, it's a misdemeanor, move on.
January 20, 201313 yr I am sorry, but almost all those arguments are about it being inconvenient to have to switch clips. I don't by the home invader argument. I make the trade to smaller clips if the debate is protection against a gang home invasion versus making it more difficult for mass murderers. Recent history shows more likelihood of a mass murder than a mass home invasion of an innocent person. On gun control, I am in favor of finding the right balance in access to guns. I am in favor of as much freedom in gun ownership as common sense public safety will allow. With those principals, I think a clip limit of 15 or less makes sense and is not a denial of my 2nd Amendment rights. Your just wrong. New York has these laws and they gave in took an inch...now it is a mile.
January 20, 201313 yr I am sorry, but almost all those arguments are about it being inconvenient to have to switch clips. I don't by the home invader argument. I make the trade to smaller clips if the debate is protection against a gang home invasion versus making it more difficult for mass murderers. Recent history shows more likelihood of a mass murder than a mass home invasion of an innocent person. On gun control, I am in favor of finding the right balance in access to guns. I am in favor of as much freedom in gun ownership as common sense public safety will allow. With those principals, I think a clip limit of 15 or less makes sense and is not a denial of my 2nd Amendment rights. Really, more mass murders than home invasions? Got any stats to back that up? There are home invasions in the news almost weekly just in Kentucky, many more across the country. While maybe not entire street gangs it seems as if most home invasions are rarely carried out by a single subject. I can't remember did you say you own a gun? If so I have a question was it passed on to you or given to you or did you purchase it your self? When was the last time you went to the range or farm lot and shot it? How often do you go shooting?
January 20, 201313 yr Really, more mass murders than home invasions? Got any stats to back that up? There are home invasions in the news almost weekly just in Kentucky, many more across the country. While maybe not entire street gangs it seems as if most home invasions are rarely carried out by a single subject. I can't remember did you say you own a gun? If so I have a question was it passed on to you or given to you or did you purchase it your self? When was the last time you went to the range or farm lot and shot it? How often do you go shooting? Emphasis on MASS home invasion, something that would require a 15+ clip. I don't own a gun, but plan on having one. I have been hunting numerous times but would not call myself a hunter. Honestly, it isn't something I enjoyed when I went. I have been target shooting in the past but not recently. What does any of that have to do with an opinion on a clip size?
January 20, 201313 yr Emphasis on MASS home invasion, something that would require a 15+ clip. I don't own a gun, but plan on having one. I have been hunting numerous times but would not call myself a hunter. Honestly, it isn't something I enjoyed when I went. I have been target shooting in the past but not recently. What does any of that have to do with an opinion on a clip size? How many people coming through your door do you think it would take for you to consider it a MASS HOME INVASION? One man was recently shot 5 times and did not go down, by that example a 15 round clip would not be enough against 3 intruders...would 3 count as enough? I asked about if your were a gun owner to get where your perspective was from. A lot of my anti-gun friends say they own guns but never go shoot or actively doing anything with them. I've asked them why they own them and in most cases that I have found those in the pro-ban pro-restricted magazine camp that have guns because they were handed down from fathers or grandfathers and in reality they have little use for them other than to be able to say "I own a gun".
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.