Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Georgia mom shoots intruder

Featured Replies

Guess her house was not on the published list of permit holders. :D

 

Nicely done.

  • Replies 57
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Only sad part is she didn't kill him.
If she shot him 5 times about the head/neck area and didn't kill him, then she wasn't using the correct personal defense ammo for her weapon.

 

I bet she was using some kind of FMJ or "ball" type range ammo.

  • Author
If she shot him 5 times about the head/neck area and didn't kill him, then she wasn't using the correct personal defense ammo for her weapon.

 

I bet she was using some kind of FMJ or "ball" type range ammo.

I bet you're exactly right. She needed a judge with the critical defense rounds or some good old 000 buck. Four lovely round buckshots for your eating pleasure.

On a somewhat related note' date=' I was at the gun range this Saturday with the high about 40 degrees, and pleasantly surprised to see 6 women (I brought 2) at the range learning and practicing safe and effective handgun/firearm use. Tickled to see them there and applaud them for doing so. While we are knee deep in an environment of thievery and violence, and destruction of personal property, it's refreshing that many are taking a stand to protect their homes, property, and lives of those who can't protect themselves (children). Kudos ladies.:thumb:[/quote']

 

Sooooo...what do you think about women who DON'T choose firearms as a manner of self-protection?

  • Author
Sooooo...what do you think about women who DON'T choose firearms as a manner of self-protection?

I wish they would. I don't have any lesser opinion of them. I don't have any lesser opinion of you because you don't. Frankly, I wish you would, because I would hate to read the paper the next day if someone did this to you and opened the closet door on you and he had ill intention. No judgement on anyone here mom. Just hate the times we live in and the fact that these days this type violence is reality.

Sooooo...what do you think about women who DON'T choose firearms as a manner of self-protection?

 

square-large-select.gif

 

 

In reality, the strongest deterrence is the threat or risk of you having a gun that should keep you safe. Most criminals are cowards. They will pass on the well lite one with a 'Protected by Smith and Wesson' sign and go find another house or another neighborhood. Maybe criminals believe they can raid a home in the daylight even if a family is home. But the more women are trained the better protected all are.

 

Depending on where you live a gun may or may not make sense. Suburban Jefferson County - a gun can be a good idea. But a loud alarm may be good there as well. But in rural Kentucky on a 10 acre lot or farm - most women are trained...and armed during the day. Because an alarm is not going to scare away anyone since they know police are at least 20 minutes away at best.

 

attachment.php?attachmentid=38550

 

In reality, the strongest deterrence is the threat or risk of you having a gun that should keep you safe. Most criminals are cowards. They will pass on the well lite one with a 'Protected by Smith and Wesson' sign and go find another house or another neighborhood. Maybe criminals believe they can raid a home in the daylight even if a family is home. But the more women are trained the better protected all are.

 

Depending on where you live a gun may or may not make sense. Suburban Jefferson County - a gun can be a good idea. But a loud alarm may be good there as well. But in rural Kentucky on a 10 acre lot or farm - most women are trained...and armed during the day. Because an alarm is not going to scare away anyone since they know police are at least 20 minutes away at best.

 

I live in one of the most densely populated areas of Louisville now. I have lived in the South End, Churchill Downs area, Buechel, Valley Station, Old Louisville, St Matthews, Hikes Point, Clifton and now the Highlands. Never felt the need for a gun. I've been broken into 3 times, each time a dog in the house did the trick.

 

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner

I wish they would. I don't have any lesser opinion of them. I don't have any lesser opinion of you because you don't. Frankly, I wish you would, because I would hate to read the paper the next day if someone did this to you and opened the closet door on you and he had ill intention. No judgement on anyone here mom. Just hate the times we live in and the fact that these days this type violence is reality.

 

I have no problem, nor think badly of anyone who does own a gun. I just don't think it's necessary, or particularly laudable that some choose to. There are other methods to protect oneself. And those are what I choose. I've managed to survive and actually safely raise two kids. Not saying you mean it this way, but when I hear/read comments like you posted, the implication is that someone like me is irresponsible.

 

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner

  • Author
I have no problem, nor think badly of anyone who does own a gun. I just don't think it's necessary, or particularly laudable that some choose to. There are other methods to protect oneself. And those are what I choose. I've managed to survive and actually safely raise two kids. Not saying you mean it this way, but when I hear/read comments like you posted, the implication is that someone like me is irresponsible.

 

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner

With all due respect, I think that's your interpretation, certainly not my aim to make it seem like those who don't are wimps. I'll give my personal experience with a young lady who is married to our youth pastor. She comes from a family who never had a gun in their home. Not for hunting, or any other purpose for that matter. However, she is often home alone, realizes that there are times when she is vulnerable. She's always wanted to learn more and get over the stigma of the firearm. We went to the range, I offered a thorough explanation and direction on the firearm, it's safety and appropriate operation. She now owns her own firearm, is effective with it and feels comfortable defending herself and her home with it in the event, God forbid, it became necessary. I have no issue with those who don't want a firearm for whatever reason in their possession or in their homes.

 

With that said, I wonder, again, what would have become of that mother with her 9 year old twins. And mom, have you ever been in a situation where someone invaded your home when your children were small and totally dependent upon you? My perception is that you tend to become uber-sensitive on the subject when I (and others) promote the use of firearms as a self-defense option. It's not the end all for home defense. Could that mom used a taser or pepper spray on that intruder? Sure, however, those options have their own problems that often don't make a hill of beans on a person bent on physical harm. A firearm on the other hand has none of these drawbacks.

 

My whole purpose of the post was to say "well done" to those ladies who are educating themselves on the proper use and safety of a firearm. Whether they use them or not, or even own one in the future or not, at least they have the knowledge to make an informed decision.

If an intruder entered my house and I had my two kids hiding in a closet I wouldn't even think twice.

With all due respect, I think that's your interpretation, certainly not my aim to make it seem like those who don't are wimps. I'll give my personal experience with a young lady who is married to our youth pastor. She comes from a family who never had a gun in their home. Not for hunting, or any other purpose for that matter. However, she is often home alone, realizes that there are times when she is vulnerable. She's always wanted to learn more and get over the stigma of the firearm. We went to the range, I offered a thorough explanation and direction on the firearm, it's safety and appropriate operation. She now owns her own firearm, is effective with it and feels comfortable defending herself and her home with it in the event, God forbid, it became necessary. I have no issue with those who don't want a firearm for whatever reason in their possession or in their homes.

 

With that said, I wonder, again, what would have become of that mother with her 9 year old twins. And mom, have you ever been in a situation where someone invaded your home when your children were small and totally dependent upon you? My perception is that you tend to become uber-sensitive on the subject when I (and others) promote the use of firearms as a self-defense option. It's not the end all for home defense. Could that mom used a taser or pepper spray on that intruder? Sure, however, those options have their own problems that often don't make a hill of beans on a person bent on physical harm. A firearm on the other hand has none of these drawbacks.

 

My whole purpose of the post was to say "well done" to those ladies who are educating themselves on the proper use and safety of a firearm. Whether they use them or not, or even own one in the future or not, at least they have the knowledge to make an informed decision.

 

As a matter of fact, the first time my home was broken into, my daughter was about 6 months old. The second time, my kids were about 5 & 6. The third time my kids were 17 & 18. Each time it was a dog who caused the intruder to leave. First time, a cocker spaniel. Second time a black lab. Third time a 6 month old mutt.

 

I am sensetive to the subject when all I read is that I must not know or have any experience on the subject. And the ladies with guns get a "well done" while the ladies without get a "you don't get it'.

 

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner

  • Author
As a matter of fact, the first time my home was broken into, my daughter was about 6 months old. The second time, my kids were about 5 & 6. The third time my kids were 17 & 18. Each time it was a dog who caused the intruder to leave. First time, a cocker spaniel. Second time a black lab. Third time a 6 month old mutt.

 

I am sensetive to the subject when all I read is that I must not know or have any experience on the subject. And the ladies with guns get a "well done" while the ladies without get a "you don't get it'.

 

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner

No one said that. Not in this thread, and not that I've read, unless I missed it. And I sure didn't say it, or mean in that way at all.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.