Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

7 non-football schools to leave Big East?

Featured Replies

Do you need quality to be a super conference? Or just a large amount of teams?

 

I assume they're talking about number of teams.

  • Replies 30
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just kill me.

 

But... for the sake of fun, from a friend of mine who's a Xavier alumnus:

 

THE COAST-TO-COAST AMERICAN BASKETBALL LEAGUE

 

East

Georgetown

Villanova

Providence

St. John's

Seton Hall

Virginia Commonwealth

 

Midwest

Marquette

DePaul

Xavier

Dayton

Saint Louis

Butler

 

West

Gonzaga

St. Mary's

San Diego

Santa Clara

San Francisco

Portland

 

Conference tournament rotates among San Francisco, Chicago and New York.

Edited by Getslow

Pete Thamel article.

 

Schools , especially any A10 schools that join, could see their total per year $$ go up.

 

Georgetown is the school that's fighting to keep the league as is.

 

 

As Big East Catholic schools prepare to break away, key issues emerge - College Basketball - Pete Thamel - SI.com

 

I like the proposed 12-team league he lines up in that article with Xavier, Dayton, Saint Louis, Butler and Creighton, but I have serious doubts that UD gets included in this thing. Maybe I'm just accustomed to the piles and piles of disappoinment I've accumulated from Dayton basketball.

I like the proposed 12-team league he lines up in that article with Xavier, Dayton, Saint Louis, Butler and Creighton, but I have serious doubts that UD gets included in this thing. Maybe I'm just accustomed to the piles and piles of disappoinment I've accumulated from Dayton basketball.

 

Maybe if they bring back Mick!

Maybe if they bring back the 1960s.

 

There you go... all fixed up.

I like the proposed 12-team league he lines up in that article with Xavier, Dayton, Saint Louis, Butler and Creighton, but I have serious doubts that UD gets included in this thing. Maybe I'm just accustomed to the piles and piles of disappoinment I've accumulated from Dayton basketball.

 

If they do go to this 12-team league, I think you're concerns about Dayton could depend on others besides the Flyers.

 

-First, I believe Creighton would think long and hard about leaving the Missouri Valley. I'm not saying they wouldn't leave, but that could be a tough decision. If Creighton didn't leave, obviously Dayton would be invited.

-Second, would the new league want Temple? Would they invite the Owls while allowing them to play football somewhere else? Would the "Big East" allow that? Could Temple return it's football to the MAC? Would Villanova, as a founding member of the this new league, veto any effort to bring on Temple?

-Third, could the desire to land more media markets make the new league look at someone like Detroit or Richmond/VCU, rather than a second Ohio team?

 

Of course this is all hypothetical and isn't worth the paper it is printed on, but those conversations could come up. I would expect a new league to choose Xavier over Dayton, but I will be watching and am very interested.

^"Xavier or Dayton" isn't even a question. Xavier is miles ahead. The question is Dayton's position with regard to everyone else.

They officially agreed to it... I don't see how they could benefit. None of them except Nova have the D1 type football program that could excite the ACC or Big Ten. The only thing is a step down in basketball conference and competition.

They officially agreed to it... I don't see how they could benefit. None of them except Nova have the D1 type football program that could excite the ACC or Big Ten. The only thing is a step down in basketball conference and competition.

 

They feel they can get a 1-2 mil per school per year TV deal with those 7 schools and 3 more hoops only additions. The names floating around to join them are Butler, Xavier and St Louis. They are also counting on the NCAA Tournament shares getting a boost by only splitting them between 10 schools.

 

A league with GTown, Marquette, Nova, X and Butler is solid but I don't see the other 5 bringing enough value to get a TV deal in that range. They are taking a rather large gamble...

Report tonight said X and Butler are coming over.

Big East has to get 14 football/basketball members. Try to build markets and programs.

 

Cinccinatti

USF

UConn

Temple

UCF

Marshall

Memphis

Houston

SMU

Tulane

LaTech

East Carolina

 

Or just blow up.

Report tonight said X and Butler are coming over.

 

Channel 12 says Dayton is also coming over.

Big East has to get 14 football/basketball members. Try to build markets and programs.

 

Cinccinatti

USF

UConn

Temple

UCF

Marshall

Memphis

Houston

SMU

Tulane

LaTech

East Carolina

 

Or just blow up.

 

Why do they need 14 basketball members? Is there some kind of new requirement that conferences require a certain number of basketball teams to be an NCAA conference, or even have a post season tournament? The 9 full members left after the 13-14 season are more than enough to maintain the conference.

From yesterday ...

 

Statement from USF Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Doug Woolard

 

The planned withdrawal of the seven Catholic institutions from the Big East Conference was certainly not unexpected, and we wish them the best moving forward. The Big East model adopted in 1991 that encompassed both football and non-football playing members proved successful since its inception. This change, though, had been the subject of discussion for many years, and can now be viewed as part of the natural progression of conference realignment.

The Big East has 13 strong members moving forward together. We will have an excellent league in football, basketball and all other sports, and our programs will compete at the very highest level of intercollegiate athletics.

USF remains very well positioned for national success. As the eighth largest university in America, an incredibly rich talent base in the state of Florida and state-of-the-art athletics facilities that match or exceed those of any program in the country, there is no question USF will continue to emerge as a national force.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.