Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Alternative to the Kickoff

Featured Replies

I still think it's a bad idea that makes the league even more of a passing league. Would you rather have 4th and 15 (with Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Drew Brees etc) or attempt an onside kick?

 

The league made improvements by changing the kickoff rules and moving it up 5 yards. Why not just try and expand on that?

 

 

Exactly. Why not just move the ball to the 25 or 30 if you down the ball in the endzone on a kickoff. I bet you returners would be a lot less likely try to return the ball if they did that.

So less than 10 % are from kickoffs, and they want to eliminate the kickoff. Stupid IMO.

I agree it is stupid. But say you have 100 concussions in an average season and 10 come on the kickoff, a play which comprises maybe less than 1% of all plays in a football season, that is pretty high.

I agree it is stupid. But say you have 100 concussions in an average season and 10 come on the kickoff, a play which comprises maybe less than 1% of all plays in a football season, that is pretty high.

 

I don't think kickoffs are less than 1% of the plays in football.

How about just eliminating the kickoff and punting from the 30 after a TD. I'd like to see an onside punt.

I don't think kickoffs are less than 1% of the plays in football.

I don't know what the number is. The point is there is a substantially higher rate of injuries (not just concussions) on the kickoff than any other play. That is an indisputable fact.

Just for a reference, in the Thursday night game last night there were 125 plays and 9 kickoffs. I'm guessing the is probably around an average game. Therefore, if kickoffs are 5-10% of plays in football and result in less than 10% of concussions do the statistics support everyone's concerns? Not trying to agitate things just wondering.

I still think it's a bad idea that makes the league even more of a passing league. Would you rather have 4th and 15 (with Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Drew Brees etc) or attempt an onside kick?

 

The league made improvements by changing the kickoff rules and moving it up 5 yards. Why not just try and expand on that?

 

Since punts don't seem to be a problem why not move the kickoff back to where it was and let them punt it? I'm sure most punters, if unrushed could hang it up high enough to keep the returns to a minimum. Also, you make it a live ball so if they wanted to try an onsides kick they could still do it.

So if you are down 2 or 3 scores in the fourth quarter you don't have to earn the ball back and have the potential to keep the ball perpetually without having to give it back to the other team?

Exactly. Why not just move the ball to the 25 or 30 if you down the ball in the endzone on a kickoff. I bet you returners would be a lot less likely try to return the ball if they did that.

 

Then you would have teams kicking high and short of the goal line to force a return attempt, or fair catch deep in your own side of the field.

So if you are down 2 or 3 scores in the fourth quarter you don't have to earn the ball back and have the potential to keep the ball perpetually without having to give it back to the other team?

 

Yes which is insane IMO.

I believe there is a possibility here that has to be considered. The motivation for eliminating the kickoff may not be injury risk at all. It could be economic. If you eliminate the kickoff, you eliminate a lot of roster spots!

Apparently Greg Schiano is a huge proponent of the change (He did witness the Legrand injury). Apparently he did some research and found out that 21% of 4th and 15 plays are converted while 21% of onside kicks are recovered. Personally I think this is a skewed stat since I assume that most onside kicks are recovered by the kicking team when it's not expected as opposed to those at the end of a game when it's a must for teams to come back.

Apparently Greg Schiano is a huge proponent of the change (He did witness the Legrand injury). Apparently he did some research and found out that 21% of 4th and 15 plays are converted while 21% of onside kicks are recovered. Personally I think this is a skewed stat since I assume that most onside kicks are recovered by the kicking team when it's not expected as opposed to those at the end of a game when it's a must for teams to come back.

 

I just don't like the idea of giving the ball right back to Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady at the end of the game if they are trying to make a quick comeback. I don't care how hard 4th and 15 is...it's a terrible idea IMO.

Sounds like something they'd do in the XFL.

I just don't like the idea of giving the ball right back to Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady at the end of the game if they are trying to make a quick comeback. I don't care how hard 4th and 15 is...it's a terrible idea IMO.

 

 

I 100% agree. I don't agree with changing how the game has been played since the beginning.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.