Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Alternative to the Kickoff

Featured Replies

The NFL obviously feels like the kickoff and the resulting collisions are potentially dangerous ie a chance to cost them money in a lawsuit. We see this in the kickoff being moved up as it was 2 years ago. It doesn't seem to have drastically reduced the number of returns though.

 

A proposal has come forth and I find it very interesting.

 

After a team scores instead of them kicking off they will get the ball. Here's the catch. They get it on their 30 and it's 4th and 15. They can either punt it or go for it.

 

The punts result in less violence overall.

 

It adds some excitement - will they go for it or not?

 

It gives a team the ball when they score and are still down late but they have to go farther than they do when they recover an onside kick.

 

IF the NFL decides the traditional kickoff is a problem I like this idea.

Pretty interesting idea. While a long kickoff return is one of the more exciting plays in football I wouldn't be opposed to this--especially if it cuts down on concussions. If something isn't done in that regard I feel football may become extinct in the future.

Seems kind of whacky, but the more I marinate on it, I could see it working. I was always curious as to how they would compensate for the elimination of the on-side kick. Creative, I will give them that much.

I don't think it's a very good idea.

 

All it takes is one defensive holding and the 4th and 15 is automatically 1st and 10. It's a violent game...that will never change.

Pretty interesting idea. While a long kickoff return is one of the more exciting plays in football I wouldn't be opposed to this--especially if it cuts down on concussions. If something isn't done in that regard I feel football may become extinct in the future.

 

Extinct? Far too much $$ being given out for that to happen IMO.

I don't think it's a very good idea.

 

All it takes is one defensive holding and the 4th and 15 is automatically 1st and 10. It's a violent game...that will never change.

 

Not disagreeing with anything you posted... But, if they are going to eliminate kickoffs all together (which is the direction this is all headed), what solution would you offer?

Not disagreeing with anything you posted... But, if they are going to eliminate kickoffs all together (which is the direction this is all headed), what solution would you offer?

 

I don't think they should eliminate kickoffs.

 

I like the idea of changing the rules on the kickoff. I'd like to see the injury statistics from kickoffs since they moved the kickoff up 5 yards. I've also seen some ideas about having weight limit restrictions on the kickoff too.

 

And if they change this what's next? Two hand touch when a receiver goes over the middle?

Are there studies that shows more concussions are obtained from kickoffs than any other part of the game? I honestly don't recall that many concussions from kickoffs. It seems more are from receivers going across the middle, or QB's being sacked. What's next? All passes must be received from inside the hash marks? 2 hand touch, and the QB is blown down?

I don't think they should eliminate kickoffs.

 

I like the idea of changing the rules on the kickoff. I'd like to see the injury statistics from kickoffs since they moved the kickoff up 5 yards. I've also seen some ideas about having weight limit restrictions on the kickoff too.

 

And if they change this what's next? Two hand touch when a receiver goes over the middle?

I am with you in that I do not want it eliminated. But again, I think that is where we are heading. This is as creative of a solution I have seen where it gives an opportunity to also compensate for the on-side kick.
Are there studies that shows more concussions are obtained from kickoffs than any other part of the game? I honestly don't recall that many concussions from kickoffs. It seems more are from receivers going across the middle, or QB's being sacked. What's next? All passes must be received from inside the hash marks? 2 hand touch, and the QB is blown down?

 

After a quick google search...

 

Players suffered 266 concussions last season, including 20 on kickoffs, according to the study released Tuesday by Edgeworth Economics, a consulting firm. That was down from 270 concussions suffered by NFL players during the 2010 season, 35 of them on kickoffs.

 

Concussions in NFL down from last season because of kickoff rule change, study finds - Washington Post

Are there studies that shows more concussions are obtained from kickoffs than any other part of the game? I honestly don't recall that many concussions from kickoffs. It seems more are from receivers going across the middle, or QB's being sacked. What's next? All passes must be received from inside the hash marks? 2 hand touch, and the QB is blown down?

Seems like a lot of spinal injuries occur on kickoffs as well. The wedge was eliminated to help somewhat.

I am with you in that I do not want it eliminated. But again, I think that is where we are heading. This is as creative of a solution I have seen where it gives an opportunity to also compensate for the on-side kick.

 

I still think it's a bad idea that makes the league even more of a passing league. Would you rather have 4th and 15 (with Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Drew Brees etc) or attempt an onside kick?

 

The league made improvements by changing the kickoff rules and moving it up 5 yards. Why not just try and expand on that?

So less than 10 % are from kickoffs, and they want to eliminate the kickoff. Stupid IMO.

 

And it went down with the new rule.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.