October 6, 201214 yr IMO this call is 10 times worse than the Monday Night debacle in the NFL last week. That's pure nutty talk.
October 6, 201214 yr I can see why the ump called the infield fly and probably technically it was the correct call. The best argument to be made from the Braves perspective is this . . . if the play happened the same way but the ump didn't call it an infield fly, would Matheny have gone out to argue it should have been an infield fly? No, he wouldn't have. Not really a good argument to NOT call it.
October 6, 201214 yr Not really a good argument to NOT call it. So you're of the belief that Matheny would have stormed out of the dugout protesting if the infield fly rule hadn't been called on that play?
October 6, 201214 yr So you're of the belief that Matheny would have stormed out of the dugout protesting if the infield fly rule hadn't been called on that play? No idea. I'm saying it's a poor basis for deciding if the call was correct or not.
October 6, 201214 yr It doesn't say that. It says immediately once it's been determined. That is exactly what was quoted out of the rulebook on MLB Network. IMO, "ordinary effort" means it will be called by the time the ball reaches the top of it's flight. "Ordinary effort" wouldn't take that long to call. No way should that ball drop so to call it that late means a no call was probably the right choice. A call that late says to me that it wasn't "ordinary effort".
October 6, 201214 yr That is exactly what was quoted out of the rulebook on MLB Network. From post 61: When it seems apparent that a batted ball will be an Infield Fly, the umpire shall immediately declare “Infield Fly” for the benefit of the runners. If the ball is near the baselines, the umpire shall declare “Infield Fly, if Fair.”" See the difference? There is a qualifier for the "shall immediately" part.
October 8, 201213 yr No way. This call didn't decide the winner of the game. No, but it was a huge game changing play in a win or go home game. Not a game early in the season.
October 8, 201213 yr The call was correct according to the letter of the rules. The only issue with it, is the timing. Was called way late IMO. Either way, the Braves choked this one away with shoddy defense.
October 8, 201213 yr The call was correct according to the letter of the rules. The only issue with it, is the timing. Was called way late IMO. Either way, the Braves choked this one away with shoddy defense. Agreed somewhat on "late." However, late had no impact on this play, right?
October 8, 201213 yr Agreed somewhat on "late." However, late had no impact on this play, right? It had no impact on the play in the sense of the SS not catching it. He clearly thought Holiday had called him off.
October 8, 201213 yr It had no impact on the play in the sense of the SS not catching it. He clearly thought Holiday had called him off. Gotcha. Did anyone ever ask the SS why he bailed?
October 8, 201213 yr I found this quote from Kozma (SS): "I was under it," Kozma said. "I should have made the play. I took my eyes off it. I was camped under it." Read more: Disputed infield fly call grabs spotlight in Cardinals' 6-3 wild-card win over bumbling Braves | Fox News
October 8, 201213 yr Harold Reynolds with a solid explanation. It also shows Kozma wasn't very far from the ball before he bailed. I've still got a IFF. Watch Harold Reynolds argue why the infield-fly rule was the right call | HardballTalk
October 8, 201213 yr I found this quote from Kozma (SS): "I was under it," Kozma said. "I should have made the play. I took my eyes off it. I was camped under it." Read more: Disputed infield fly call grabs spotlight in Cardinals' 6-3 wild-card win over bumbling Braves | Fox News Seems to me, the "I was camped under it" statement just reaffirms my view that it was the correct call. That sounds like "Ordinary Effort" to me. :idunno:
October 8, 201213 yr Harold Reynolds with a solid explanation. It also shows Kozma wasn't very far from the ball before he bailed. I've still got a IFF. Watch Harold Reynolds argue why the infield-fly rule was the right call | HardballTalk Good stuff. Really the only "controversy" to me was the timing and Reynolds points out that the ump made the call before the SS bailed and the ball landed. I think they got it right.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.