Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Louisville claiming they won 1948 Championship

Featured Replies

Better to be football Cards than football Cats.

 

The advantage to being UL in football is that you can be a legitimate contender for a conference title/BCS game. So because of that fact, I would agree UL would be more desirable.

 

But as far as the two teams go, I've always thought they matched up pretty well.

  • Replies 50
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
True but I have to agree with SC. Better to be football Cards than football Cats. The joker's on us.

 

What's that PP92? You consider yourself a UK fan?? You are one with BBN?? :dancingpa

Calm down, big blue nation. No one is trying to cheat you and not everything is about you.

 

Louisville won and has always claimed the 1948 NAIB title. That organization has since expanded beyond basketball and is now called the NAIA. Louisville joined the NCAA the following season.

Then why doesn't it say NAIB national champions beside of that date??

There are a lot of National Champions prior to 1939 when the NCAA started their tournament then.

Where do I get one of those shirts? I want to put it right next to my "Dewey Beats Truman" newspaper.

Where do I get one of those shirts? I want to put it right next to my "Dewey Beats Truman" newspaper.

 

They're not technically wrong. They did win "a" 1948 national championship. They did not, however, with "the" 1948 National Championship. It's a bit disingenuous on Louisville's part, to be sure, and an invitation to ridicule.

 

I have a question, though. Do you follow the small high schools that participate in the All A Classic? If so, do you correct the kids when they say, "We're going to state," since it's also not technically wrong, but not technically correct either?

They're not technically wrong. They did win "a" 1948 national championship. They did not, however, with "the" 1948 National Championship. It's a bit disingenuous on Louisville's part, to be sure, and an invitation to ridicule.

 

I have a question, though. Do you follow the small high schools that participate in the All A Classic? If so, do you correct the kids when they say, "We're going to state," since it's also not technically wrong, but not technically correct either?

 

Good point.

I have a question, though. Do you follow the small high schools that participate in the All A Classic? If so, do you correct the kids when they say, "We're going to state," since it's also not technically wrong, but not technically correct either?

 

:lol: Comparing UofL to 1A Kentucky HS basketball? :lol: Although maybe its appropriate.

This smells a lot like Owensboro HS claiming to be "At-Large State Champions" in football in 1983. I think they still have a huge sign at the school to that effect. Gives the illusion of being THE top dog, when everyone knows they were not. Just like UL's basketball team in 1948 (which UK would have beaten) and 1956 (which San Francisco would have beaten). I LOVED the Denny Crum era at UL, but would be embarrassed to wear that shirt.

I have a question, though. Do you follow the small high schools that participate in the All A Classic? If so, do you correct the kids when they say, "We're going to state," since it's also not technically wrong, but not technically correct either?

 

Probably not, because I'm assuming that the context of the conversation would, at some point, reveal that we're talking about Class A & not the Sweet 16.

:lol: Comparing UofL to 1A Kentucky HS basketball? :lol: Although maybe its appropriate.

 

Back then they were 1A. Call them that now at your own risk, laughing boy, even with the Cards' low-rent coach.

Probably not, because I'm assuming that the context of the conversation would, at some point, reveal that we're talking about Class A & not the Sweet 16.

 

Wrong. Those kids think of it as a state championship. High school kids don't delineate any more than Bellarmine does with their national championship. Unless you want to be the guy to burst that bubble for them.

Just like UL's basketball team in 1948 (which UK would have beaten) and 1956 (which San Francisco would have beaten).

 

Correction... which UK DID beat. 91-57 at that.

 

Kentucky vs. Louisville (March 27, 1948)

Call them that now at your own risk, laughing boy, even with the Cards' low-rent coach.

 

:lol: At my own risk? Really? Pretty sure UK was 2-0 vs UofL last year. Quit making excuses.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.